2014 RMAR Silverton Rendezvous, July 24-27

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Mac, Dec 17, 2013.

1. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    A little birdy told me Performance Cycle of Denver, CO will be donating a Jacket (more to come) to RMAR for the auction.

:clap

[​IMG]
  2. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Getting really excited about the San Juan's again and seeing all of you.

Expect some great riding and fun times around the campfire each evening!!
  3. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    To complement my 950ADV, I just picked up a 650GS Dakar. The bike is mainly for BrownEyedSuzanne.....but will likely find me on it as well. Can't wait to explore the San Juan's!

[​IMG]
  4. Geneva

Geneva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    to go or not to go....
  5. Farmer1

Farmer1 Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there, but usually, leaving Illinois
    Wanna borrow my 2 headed coin? Heads you win and Heads you win!!!!!:clap

J8
  6. Creekside

Creekside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - is there going to be a group of big bike riders that avoid baby head passes & gnarly single track? Looking for more dirt/gravel/fire roads. Some of those large rocky path shots you got there John and Modette, are over my skill level (ie no dirt bike experience at all - and I plan on riding out & back). I am more of a gravel backroads, two track rider and min maintenance roads of Ark/Kansas/MO.

I tend to ride hard, I like 150-200 mile days of gravel with maybe 100 pavement or so when I can.

Posted this same question before on the Meeker thread, but probably have to go this week (Silverton) instead. There was a few guys there on 650s/950s with the same interest, wondering if there is on this week as well?
  7. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats John. Sweet bikes and very capable! :D
  8. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is something for everyone. Even if you want to stay on the pavement, the paved "Million Dollar Highway" to Ouray from Silverton is arguably the best stretch of paved road in the region. The dirt passes vary in difficulty, but most can be done on a mid-sized dual sport by an average rider. One of the best bits is that you'll have a chance to ride with others of a similar skill level and the ride leaders will explain their routes before setting out, so you don't get too far in over your head. Most of the routes get progressively harder as you approach the passes, so you'll be able to turn around and go back down if you choose.

You'll be fine, and this event is made for folks just like you - ready to stretch your skills a little, have some help if needed, and to explore one of the best places to ride in the USA!
  9. Creekside

Oddometer:
    Ok great, thanks Matt. I was told to ask this before going to make sure it was noob and intermediate friendly before riding out and back from KC.

I do have a bunch of jeep books on the areas, and a Colorado gazetteer big map I have cut out the pages of. Don't have a gps, so I am a tag-a-long for some excitement! Not sure what days, but I will be there. See yah all out there.

{edit} Not riding now. I will see you at the Red MT with my popup, got the last up top site. I'll be on the Blue 990 Adv. I'll be there Friday-Sat full days for riding!!! Super stoked!
  10. durielk

durielk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm in & at the Red Mt Corall, you guys keep it quiet!

I may be pullin a little early, and be wandering up to Meeker for the next weekend.

I may bring 2 moto's, I don't know.
    Someone who's been there question....I heard about the ST around here, maybe over my levelÂ… Probably do jeep trails/passes on the 650.
    If there is any B single track? May unload the Kawa.
  11. gjcarving

gjcarving Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Congrats on the new addition! But what happened to the XR?
  12. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm a punk. I wasn't going, then I was, then I thought it would be too expensive to get the bike bike ready (few repairs from my last Baja trip), then we bought a house, then the event split in two, then work got nuts, and blah blah blah...

I need a break! :becca

So as long as Woody can get me the front wheel back for the pig, I'll roll. I'm going to wait to register until I know I'll get the wheel back, but I'm in such a need of a break, that I'm hoping it will.

I'll definitely jump in on any relatively easy big bike stuff as I'll be a long way from home, and since I'm just getting the bike back together, I don't really want to tear it up again (my wife was saying I need to start getting a volume discount from Woody :eek1 )

Shoot, with how I'm feeling right now, I might put the little bike on the hitch carrier just to get out of Kalifornistan for a bit. Hope you guys can put up with me either way. :freaky
  13. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you register by the end of June, you'll get a T-Shirt included in your registration. Since we have to send the order in on July 1, we have to cut that off.

Registration will still be open into July, just no shirts included after July 1.

So, there's your line in the sand / rock, so to speak...
  14. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks! I should hear from Woody mid to lat this week, so that will work out perfect.

I have to admit either way, that I might still just put the little bike on the carrier and roll. I'm just being chintzy on the extra couple hundred $$ for fuel to get it out there.
  15. Farmer1

Oddometer:
    There will be all types of bikes... Im bringing 3! KLX250s. KLR685. KTM 950

You talk of no experience on the big boulders, but I note you ride gravel. Can you handle some loose gravel? If so theres no reason you cant ride the Alpine loop, plus California Pass and Hurricane Pass . Alpine Loop is like 72-75 miles of gravel, some loose, some a little bigger (ride around them), some just exposed bedrock. Bumpy? Yes. But very do able. After all its the route all the "other tourists" rent jeeps and drive over. The Alpine loop has a nice rest stop half way, in Lake city.

For me.... Being a flat lander from Illinois with as of this point 6 total days of riding experience in the Silverton area, If this was my first year and I wanted tips for prep and what to expect..

1. bring rain gear and/or water resistant gear. Rainy season that time of year there, might rain for 5 min or 2 hours everyday. no big deal.
    2. (personal choice here) gear down for the power loss at altitude. On the KLR650 I go down 1 tooth from stock on the front and up 1 or 2 teeth on the back, which pretty well keeps the chain the same length. This lets you putt around without slipping the clutch and start off on the up hills easier if you have to stop for a jeep or something. Lets you actually get light on the front wheel for some of the bumps too.
    3. dont worry about rejetting. On the KLR that runs fine at 690 feet above sea level at home, and its just a little more doggy at altitude. see reason 2 above.
    4. be able to fix a flat, spoons, tubes, patches, pump. Lay something under your hub to keep from getting grit in the bearings. either have this stuff or travel with somebody who does.
    5. Camelbak type device, got to drink drink drink, some snacks also.

6. A outlook that this is going to be the greatest most awesome riding I have ever done.

Get your butt out there.

I cant wait to get back, I leave in 30 days!!!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

J8

PS I bet if you try, your gonna go, "this is easy!" And there is so much variable types of riding out there you can find anytype of road you desire.
  16. Creekside

Oddometer:
    I am ready. Lose gravel is fine, I like the thrill of min maintenance roads and hard dry mud roads. Got stuck in a creek last weekend and had to drag my bike on the side over to the low bridge and push it over on it too get out of the wet sand. 990s, heavy! :-)
    New scratches, but nothing tore off. It was hotter than he'll for that here. All that for buzzing up and down a creek a few times...

I am stoked!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  17. Farmer1

Oddometer:
    Wont have to worry about being hot out there at least not for long... 23 % humidity!! I carry 2 double pulleys and 250 feet of para cord just encase I have to horse one around on its side by myself.

Sounds like you will do just fine.

J8
  18. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    All right, I signed up! So now I'm committed to either the little bike on the carrier all the way out, or if Woody delivers, the pig. Either way, I'm excited for you guys to show me some cool riding over there! :thumb
  19. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone waiting to register should do it now, if you want a shirt. We've got to get our order in tomorrow, so we can get them in time for the event.

10pm Mountain time is it.
  20. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its getting closer.......:deal
    I plan to be "around" Silverton starting the 18th or so until the 27th or so....
    Bringing the 450 and possibly the hack if I can get someone to drag my bike trailer along. The dog gets pissed when I take off on the 450. I will be boon dock camping around Mineral Creek with the travel trailer and heading to town as needed for beer and ice and if you know me that will be fairly often :freaky