2014 RMAR Silverton Rendezvous, July 24-27

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Mac, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Farmer1

Farmer1 Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there, but usually, leaving Illinois
    AAARR Captn!!

You gonna lure the unsuspecting to your remote mountain hideaway and de-noob them your own special way??:eek1:eek1

:lol3:lol3

J8
  2. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dead men tell no tales......thars pirating to be done.
  3. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Not staying at Red Mountain RV Park?

I will be there in the Jamboree on either the 23rd or 24th.

Thought we were going to be neighbors......:freaky

I'll be bringing the KLX 450R
  4. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    No when the Meker was added I cancelled my reservation as I wasnt sure where I was going. i ended up fitting Silverton in but the reservation was gone. I will be out at Mineral Creek dry camping with the trailer, dog, truck, and a few of the Santa Fe family that were at RibFest. I will be commuting in to Red Mtn. on and off.
  5. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which brings up a good point...

Be sure to get your reservations, wherever you're staying. I just talked to Amy at Red Mountain last night and they have space, depending on what sort of arrangements you need.
  6. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming there's no shortage of tent action?
  7. Farmer1

Oddometer:
    Not yet, They have a dedicated area and also a "throw down where ever your not in the way and wont get run over" policy!!!:lol3

Between cabins, on the grass, in the side yard, by the office.........................

:deal

J8
  8. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Sounds like quite a few of you are bringing smaller bikes to this event. I realize there are rides for all types but would you consider this to be a better event to bring big bikes or smaller bikes?
  9. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given your list of choices, I'd prefer the 650.
  10. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Well... My wife and I are coming to this rally together so if we bring big bikes, she'll be on the 650 and I'll be on the GSPD. If we truck out our little dual sports she'll be on her plated Honda 150 and I'll be on the plated KTM 200. She can hold her own as a rider and go most anywhere on her 150 but the 650 is pretty big for her and technical stuff would be a challenge. So if we have the little bikes we can go with the more technical rides and if we bring the BMWs well have to limit ourselves to easier two-track and road rides. We have never ridden in that area so we're not exactly sure of what to expect. Either way, we know we'll have a great time! Open to suggestions.
  11. Farmer1

Oddometer:
    Im bringing 3 sizes of bikes,

Because I can. Son is not coming this year so I don't have to share!!

Because there are some places I want to try on the 250 before I try them on the 650, not that my 650 wont go there, Many 650's/900's/1200's have already been there. (call me chicken or unsure of my skills if you want, but you cant practice for this in Illinois) Do call me aware of the age of my body and healing speed if something goes wrong!! LOL!!

Because I'm gonna make a blast for the coast between rallies, Im bringing the 950. And if I would happen to have a get off like I did last year and get banged up and sore and switch to riding the smooth roads the 950 is much more comfortable.

This is my third trip out, and I'm by no means an expert. I've seen the advantages to all size bikes there. The first 2 times was 650's because its all I really had to choose from the first year and the second, my son came and we were equally mounted. Now thanks to some slick wheeling dealing and wrenching, I have options. I did ok on the 650's as long as you remember, Hey I don't feel comfortable doing that, on this, yet, your good to go.

If I had to pick one bike for my skill level, and were I was going I would pick my 650 although I would be very happy on a DRZ400 for all around out there.

Whatever you choose to bring, you will have fun, you will be amazed at the sights, and you will go places you never guessed you could if you just follow your front wheel. Im sure my KLR thought I had lost my mind the first year, its rider was scared to death plenty of spots. The next year it was like, "hello old friend as I went up and down the mountains"

See you there!!

J8
  12. Farmer1

Oddometer:
    :clap:clapWoot !! In two weeks I will draging a trailer with at least three bikes west!!! Cant wait!!
    :clap:clap:clap:clap

Jailor8
  13. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    Im leaving Santa Fe next Thursday!
    I will be outside of Silverton Friday the 18th looking for the perfect off grid camping spot. I know the ones I want I juts hope they are empty when I cruise by.....If not I really feel bad for my new neighbors :evil
  14. Creekside

Creekside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Neepuk if you both bring the big bikes - I am not the most aggressive rider either and will be riding a 990.

Just browsed the Alpine Loop dual sport images on google, today just got a hellovalot better! See yah all on Friday&Sat!
  15. HateRyder

HateRyder Schtool

Oddometer:
    I attended the first in South Fork and had a blast. Glad I did a search for this or I would have had no idea it was happening this year cause it's not in the Rally section. Found your website as well.
    Anyway I will probably be coming to both. Now to just find a good dirt tire that will last the 1k slab trip just to get there unless of course some one has some spoons I can borrow. Don't really want to carry my "No-Mar":loll.
  16. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep we are a annual ADV event and always will be, our whole goal is to promote Adventure Riding.

I just stuffed Rally Bags for Silverton, CO...Meeker is next.

Expect big news to be announced at each Rendezvous. :D

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/RockyMountainAdventureRiders/posts/656352177811582" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/RockyMountainAdventureRiders/posts/656352177811582">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/RockyMountainAdventureRiders">Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders</a>.</div></div>
  17. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    I'll be pulling into Red Mountain RV park on the afternoon of the 23rd -
  18. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    Grrrr... My wife's business travel may extend a day, which means I gotta delay another day to depart, which means I basically won't get there until Sunday unless I blast on the slab. And the front wheel is JUST going to make it from Woody. And I still need to be back by the 3rd... :dog :kboom
  19. Farmer1

Oddometer:

Tell her to quit her job and get home, there's riding to be done!!

Of course I'm divorced so you may not want to take my advice!!:deal

Any amount of time in around Silverton is awesome and worth every minute of slabbing to get there!. Even or And, if you only get one day there. I would suggest... Silverton to Animas Forks up over Engineer Pass to Lake City then back up over Cinnamon Pass to Animas Forks. Which is the main part of the Alpine loop... THEN Depending on your time and energy left, Animas Forks to California Pass and Hurricane Pass, from there you can decide to go down Corkscrew pass and come out at Ironton on 550 or skip Corkscrew and go back into Silverton on co rd 110.

IF you Quit at Animas Forks your gonna have around 70 ish miles once you backtrack into Silverton from AF.

If you go over Ca pass and Hurricane and back in on 110 you will again be about 70ish miles but add 2 more passes to the trip.

If you go on out thru Corkscrew to 550 you have a nice ride back up over Red mountain pass to Silverton on the Highway.

And if you want to "do the Alpine loop" and end up in Ouray then, go, Silverton to Animas Forks, up over Cinnamon to Lake City, then up Over Engineer, and down about halfway to Animas and head north on the loop towards Ouray. Saves some back tracking that way.

The above is just the musings of dumb person from Illinois!! I take no responsibility for any injuries or oh's and ah's!!

J8
  20. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    She makes more than me, so her career takes equal place with mine (based on the mortgage :lol3 ). There's a slight possibility of a sitter for the day, but I'm not confident. :cry

I'll be there the whole following week so I can some riding in the Silverton area on Monday as well where I can get some more fun stuff in and just delay seeing friends in Denver a day.