2014 RMAR Silverton Rendezvous, July 24-27

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Mac, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Today I went riding with Ricker, NWColorider, Stubby & Stan.

We did Lime Creek to Pugatory, Bolam Pass and then Imogene. After Imogene we had lunch in Ouray and then rode home through some pretty cold rain.

Here are a few pics from Bolam Pass, Lizard Head in the distance-

NWColorider-

[​IMG]

Ricker-

[​IMG]

Stubby with his new DR650-

[​IMG]

Stan-

[​IMG]

and me...

[​IMG]
  2. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Route report-

Bolam Pass- the condition was really not bad at all, much better than the las time I rode it 2 years ago.

Imogene- Much looser & more eroded than last year- n00bs on big bikes beware :lol3
  3. Farmer1

Farmer1 Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there, but usually, leaving Illinois
    Made it in Thursday nite in the rain.. Red mountain room 1 if you need to know.

Playing with the kids up and down in and out of Animas Forks as daughter is on a rented Razor and cant go thru Lake City without plates.... Grrr...

So if you see a KLX and a KLR and Razor wave as you go by!!

J8
  4. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Don't worry - my hand was on the throttle ready to go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. rush2112_2112

rush2112_2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Honcho, I was once told by a wise old General here in Georgia to stay away from that Stan character. He causes trouble in the woods.....
  6. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys are starting out the weekend right.
    Wish I was there with ya, but alas I'm doing the work thing.
    Have fun, stay upright unless in camp and drinking, and keep up with the pictures so I can ride along while at work.
  7. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a noob on a big bike (Super Tenere) with about 1500 miles on it when I left for Durango late Friday. I got there at dusk, setup tent and tried to sleep. I wanted to join the RMAR group earlier but only learned of this event about 2 weeks ago. I'm not a complete noob because I do ride WR450 a little. When I got to Silverton Saturday morning I was surprised at how many RVs, tents, and folks there were. What a circus! I waited an hour for a person that said they wanted to meet up but didn't show. While I was standing next to my bike by the RMHRV office three of the nicest characters from the Denver area came by and talked about the ST and some of the new toys on it. They were members of the RMAR group and they had been over Cinnamon the day before and thought the ST would be ok even with tent, cot, mat and sleeping bag tied on. I still had no idea where I was going, but after visiting with these guys I was at least confident I would make it.

Because I lost time waiting on the no-show I didn't get out of Silverton until 10:00, way too late to miss the traffic. I was caught by surprise at what a hassle it is to ride that trail with the 4X4's and SXS. The ST is quite a hand full for a guy with short leg syndrome (30" inseam). The only advice I had on this type of riding was don't slow down cause the ST will tend to spit you off. Going up the first grade was an education in patience waiting on crawlers and blasting from a stop to try to keep the speed up.

At the summit of Cinnamon Pass there was a crowd of what looked like 40 vehicles and 80 people so I road right on by. I'm planning to go back this next weekend or the one after on the WR (licensed), a bike I won't mind parking on that trail to get some pics. I spent most of my life in Alaska and on this trip I found for the first time a place that reminded me of being in the Alaska mountains. I can see right now that I'm going to be traveling a lot to Colorado to ride these mountains.

So I'm real interested in making this event part of my vacation plans for next year. Is there a sign up list for next year? If so I want to be on it. I'd also like to know about any other rides this group is doing.
  8. Farmer1

Farmer1 Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there, but usually, leaving Illinois

Just watch the Upcoming section around the 1st of the year. They will post up what's coming up for the new year. Oh and next weekend, probably be worse, the mile high jeep club is coming to town!!

J8
  9. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's definitely best to be far away from there, if you're on a motorcycle, this coming weekend.

One of the many better places is Meeker for the second RMAR Rendezvous this year. Advance registration is closed, but you can show up and register on site (but without a complimentary t-shirt like the pre-registered receive).
  10. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep come up to Meeker, CO. There will also be a limited number of extra Rally Bags. I leave tomorrow morning (Tuesday) and plan to ride. We have plenty of tent spots. It should be a blast.

Yeah for those that don't know this is why we have two events this year. We wanted to show Silverton we carried so kept one event there and we wanted to have a second in Meeker to support them and for anyone not wanting to chance the Jeeps in Silverton.

In Meeker, you will learn of the big plans for next year. I think you will be equally as satisfied.
  11. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Some pics-

my RV location was in the middle of the Red Mountain RV Park, and with the awning & a picnic table we hung out there a lot-

[​IMG]

Coming up Cinnamon Pass, NW Colorider & Bobby-

[​IMG]

Ricker-

[​IMG]

bstubby-

[​IMG]

SgtMarty-

[​IMG]

Our crew for the day-

[​IMG]

Norm was feeling good!

[​IMG]

So was Bobby-

[​IMG]

On the way up to a remote mine Sgt Marty started having clutch issues, so he headed back to camp while rest of us headed up to a high valley that once had a lake & a bunch of mines there.

Pics to come....
  12. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Ricker at the Sunnyside Gold Mine-

[​IMG]

A nice view across the valley-

[​IMG]

Norm got a flat on the way out- found a cotter pin embedded in his rear tire. Here Ricker helps him change the tube, Bobby keeping Norm's DR steady-

[​IMG]

Why it's always good to ride with friends- getting the tire back on is so much easier!

[​IMG]

After the tube was changed, I noticed how green the mountains were, my KLX450R blending in nicely....

[​IMG]

We spotted a nice waterfall on the way down-

[​IMG]
  13. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I had a blast even though I had to leave early. I wonder if that was jmy cotter pin????
    I will need to check, I left a bit early as this time I broke the bike instead of the bike breaking me!
    Parts were ordered this morning, new chain and sprockets, fork rebuild kit and my stock KTM kickstand broke in the middle of the night at my base camp.
    Sorry I missed the Red Mtn events........
    BTW I rode Poughkeepsie Gulch on Wed, what a mother that was! Makes Black Bear a walk in the park.
  14. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Poughkeepsie Gulch next time!

Also- Bobby- send me a PM as I can't remember your ADV name & I lost your phone number. I have the stuff you won in the drawing.
  15. SirWrecksAlot

SirWrecksAlot Slowventurer

Oddometer:

:nod

Poughkeepsie is one of the toughest in that area, imho.
  16. sknx

sknx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great riding with you guys.
    Manage to get a speeding ticket 2 miles before Eng Pass the next day. He chased me with his quad for a few miles 'till I noticed :(

Dunno if got anything to do with Hondo splashing the atv-s .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boby

17. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Well it seems Performance Cycle out of Denver gave us 20% off coupons that can be used Online, they showed up after I was gone. Only fair way and easy way to do this is PM me for a code. There is 50 Coupons so first come first serve.

PerformanceCycle.com
    20% Off of one item
    Valid Through 8-31-14
  18. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. I didn't get much time spend with everyone as my schedule was pretty nuts and I had minimal time to hang out but I did get a couple decent pics from the Alpine Loop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cinnamon was the hardest riding on the pig I've ever done based solely on the rain and snow (and that I was on street tires). It started to rain pretty hard on Engineer just as I got to the steps, but I made it OK.

I think for next year, I'd like to make it for all the days and probably do the little bike just to make it easier (I'm getting too old and lazy to deal with the big bike on hard stuff).

Thanks to all the organizers as it really is a nice group of folks.
  19. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    <div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/RockyMountainAdventureRiders/posts/677244429055690" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/RockyMountainAdventureRiders/posts/677244429055690">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/RockyMountainAdventureRiders">Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders</a>.</div></div>