2014 steering damper retrofit kit

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by windmill, Mar 18, 2014.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ural has released their 2014 style hydraulic steering damper retrofit kit for 2013 and older rigs.

[​IMG]

Installation is easy, takes about 20 minutes

remove the friction damper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Punch out the friction disc pin,

[​IMG]

install right mount on front strut,

[​IMG]

install left mount using the friction damper knob, and a bolt through the hole where the pin was with the washer between the triple tree and damper bracket,

[​IMG]

Secure the damper to the brackets with supplied hardware and spacers, center damper on rod making sure it doesn't bottom out at either lock and tighten all hardware.

[​IMG]

The kit retains the friction damper knob, but it could be replaced with a peice of all thread with a nut and washer on top if desired.

[​IMG]

The knob on the end of the rod adjusts the dampening rate, there are 15 steps increasing the rate when turned clockwise.

On my older rig with the rubber bushings in the swing arms, it makes a significant difference in handling, especially in the corners.
    It reduces the tendency to follow irregularities or the crown in the road, softens and slows yaw under throttle and braking almost to the point it feels like its eliminated, tracks exactly where you point it in the corners even if they are rough, and makes it feel steadier at higher speeds. In short, what you would expect a damper to do.

For 08 and later rigs with bearings in the swing arms I suspect the difference will be less dramatic, but still worthwhile.
    Bar None likes this.
  2. road_donkey

road_donkey not really into it..

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the step by step. Mine is ordered and in the mail! Can't wait to install it and try it out.
  3. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    windmill,
    Nice install write up with photos. Much clearer for me than the ones on SS. If I end up keeping my 2012 I'll invest in one. Think I would get rid of the knob with the acorn nut on top idea. The 2014 that I rode in the short demo ride at Gene Holopaw's seemed to handle better.
  4. camaroz1985

camaroz1985 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much does that run?
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Around $250.
  6. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered one from Ural NW for significantly less than that. I hope it shows up soon!
  7. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    I talked to Ben at nw Ural today...he said they had one more in stock and it may be a month or so before they get more.

Thanks for the write up, Barry :wave
  8. RustySpokes

Oddometer:
    Got my damper installed, wow, that thing is nice! :clap

I've only got 1000 kilometers on my Ural, and I've never driven any other sidecar but this is how I expected my Gear Up to handle from the beginning. I've only put 12 miles on the damper but it's a keeper! :thumb
  9. jphii

jphii OK, now what?

Oddometer:
    What is significantly less?
  10. msblu79

msblu79 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ural NW had them for $180 + $10 shipping. Works great, well worth it. :D
  11. offroad

offroad Mogger

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Barry.

Your helpful descriptions and photos always appreciated. After reading your posts and those who have now added the damper I ordered one from Pacific NW Ural. :clap

Ben had a couple in stock yesterday.
  12. silverdog

silverdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep a pretty good improvement, if you don't have one you need one I think.
  13. RustySpokes

Oddometer:
    Just rode my rig home in some pretty good wind gusts. Before I changed damper gusts would make the rig dart around and my heart race on occasion. :eek1 With the new damper it's more like a firm but gentle weave, and I can retain my calm, cool composure. :lol3
  14. Sit

Sit Thread Killer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write up Windmill. Got mine put on with little issue. Now just to try it out!

Got it out twice this weekend. Once was just a short trip around town with the dog. No issues and it felt goo.

Next ride was with the wife and we were out and about through the hills and back roads for about 2 hours. Purposely tried to keep the speed up in some less than smooth corners etc to see how the front end would respond. Pleased to say the rough corners etc were very drama free. With the added weight of a person in the car, it still pulls and pushes on acceleration/deceleration, but not as much and once moving, regular throttle adjustments don't upset the bike nearly as much (empty they really don't do anything to the bike). So all in all, I like the improvement and think it was money well spent.
  15. jegarh

jegarh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eagle Pass, Tx (the actual edge of the world)
    I ride a rough ranch road for 1 mile to get to the front gate. The damper made a very noticeable difference. I have it cranked fully in and I don't feel like I'm fighting it any more. Very smooth. My ural is a 13 GU. :clap
  16. Blue Newt

Blue Newt n00b

Oddometer:
    15 miles from 64 mile marker on Blue Ridge Pkwy
    I just put the Ural accessory steering damper on my 2009 Patrol. Big difference in handling, especially above 50 MPH. I now feel comfortable above 60 MPH on the machine. After some experimentation, I have the damper at maximum dampening, ie, 15 clicks.

I very much recommend this improvement to Urals. Well worth the money.
  17. monkeydad

monkeydad Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    I've ridden the '12 and bought a '14 due to the several improvements.

Mainly, fuel injection, the hydraulic steering damper, and the new brakes.

The '14 rig is massively better than the '12 I rode, and the new steering damper was a big part of that.
  18. UralNorm

UralNorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride my '09 & '10 Urals with the friction damper very loose. I don't consider a damper of any type is necessary if the head stem bearings are properly adjusted. I have ridden a 2014 outfit and found the hydraulic damper OK when on the minimum setting.
    EFI and disk brakes may be reasons to buy a 2014 model, but I fail to see the benefits of the new steering damper.
  19. Flying GS

Flying GS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great write up. The friction disc pin was tough to punch out but eventually relented. The kit didn't come with a guide so thank you @windmill! I find that I have to keep it at 12-13 (out of 15) to limit low speed wobble on rough surface, would not have issues at speed with a slightly lower setting.