2014 Super Tenere Build Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by fastring, Nov 29, 2018.

1. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Purpose: Capture the build of my 2014 Super Tenere!

What: In Nov 2018 I purchased this 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere (standard) with 32k miles for $6700 at Love Motorsports in Homosassa, FL.

Build Theme: Goal is to build the bike as my ultimate commuter and road trip motorcycle. I'll buy a second bike for dirt, but this may or may not ever see the dirt. We'll see.

Why: Skip if not interested. I've been riding a $900 1999 BMW K1200RS as my keep me riding while I do lots of life changes, moves and financial change experiences. I'm through most of that and wanted a new bike that met my wants. My riding now (location, family, time) is daily commuting, a few cross country trips for work and a rare road camping trip each year.

My requirements were: 1. Comfort (tall person) 0 deg lean, 2. Reliability, 3. Maintenance costs (more than initial cost), 4. fuel range, 5. Fun/Grin, 6. 900+ mile day comfort capable carry lots of gear, 7. electronic cruise control (capable if not OEM), 8. ABS, 9. OEM factory tubeless wheels

My preference were: 1. DCT, 2. 87 octane, 3. OEM electronic cruise control, 4. shaft drive

The struggle: My favorite bike was my KTM 1190 ADVR. Did 22k miles in 9 months and loved every one. Also loved my NC700X. Like Guzzis in general. I dont think I'm alone in saying I like lots of motorcycles and the one I like the most changes daily... I finally narrowed it down to: 1. Honda VFR1200X DCT, 2. KTM 1290 ADV or ADVR, 3. 2014+ GSA, 4. 2014+ Yamaha Super Tenere. I like a value buy, getting a good deal. I dont trust used KTM 1xxx that I dont know 100% that the air box was changed to a really good solution. That made me lean to new for KTM with $400 for airbox fix. For the GSA, wanted cruise control so 2014+, same for Super Tenere. The VFR's DCT and 4 cyl engine made it a top choice, the lack of OEM cruise (veefour aftermarket avail) and worst range of the group brought it down. On the final week, I decided on VFR or Super Tenere and would pull the trigger on "best value". I made a not so aggressive offer on a used VFR in FL that has been on cycle trader for a long time and couldnt get them to budge. Made offers on 3 different S10s and settled on this one as "best value".

Leaving Atlanta, took wife's SUV and trailer down to FL and picked up the motorcycle! Prefer fly and ride but time, flight availability, dealer distance from airport and relatively close/short drive made the decision easier.

Below is a photo from the cycle trader listing.
    5bddd383c1d42a78be536629.jpg
    VO1MX, StanBo, MonkeyBut and 3 others like this.
  2. fastring

Oddometer:
    Tires

Per the pictures, the bike was bald for tires. Before heading down to pick it up, I ordered tires and went with Shinko 705s which were $153 total delivered to my door. Value. Wanted Michelin Commander II as they last forever but didnt have the front in the exact size, I've since learned I can get it in a near close size. I will likely go Shinko Ravens at least for the rear next.

Learned the factory tool kit lacks the 27mm rear axle nut and the 19mm hex for front and rear didnt work with the tool in the kit. Weird. Not as easy as the BMW for removing the rear tire but nothing ridiculous. I usually "balance" the tires with Ride On but went with the small plastic ball things this time around. Rides smooth but so did Ride On. We'll see.

Reflective Tape

I like to be seen and reflect tape is a cheap and effective solution. I put some strips all over the bike.

Elephant Ears

To me, its cold and I have pledged to "ride everyday" as I've learned I am happier that way. The Giant Loop handguard things help.

Seat

Moved the seat to high position, it was already there, and was able to store a compressor and some tools in the space under the seat.

20181201_084832.jpg

Electrical Do-Dads

Wanted heated gear port(s), USB and trickle charger plugs. Battery was tough to load up, threads barely long enough. Ordered an eastern beaver for later installation as it was tough to get the battery back in with the connections.

thumbnail (1).jpg
    StanBo likes this.
  3. fastring

Oddometer:
    Top Case Mount

Eventually, I want this as a bagger with two hard cases (probably 8" Jesse) and no topbox or maybe a Ernie fuel tank with room for a duffle. Today is today and I commute in inclement weather, so it was either my 40l VUZ bag or mounting my 52l huge Givi Outback Trekker which I originally purchased for the NC700x. In reading the forums, there is chatter of the rear rack strength (lack of) but staying on the road, I wanted to try it out.

Aftermarket options are pricey as the rear rack area needs a "spacer" to make it level with the top of the passenger seat. Found Givi mount for $130 shipped going through motorstorm.it but long term want to keep the Ernie big fuel tank as an option and dont want to spend $ that isnt the final solution. Decision was made to bolt an old Givi monokey mount to the factory top rack and see how it goes. Worked fine, my mount is missing all 4 rubber bumpers, so ordered those (from England...) but box is good enough for commuting.

Muffs

A good friend gave me some handlebar muffs that didnt work for his bike. They work ok on the S10, I cant reach all the controls but when its cold, this helps and the price was right!

thumbnail.jpg
    StanBo likes this.
  4. fastring

Oddometer:
    Super Tenere Bike Specific Eastern Beaver PC8 Kit

Ordered Nov 18, installed 6JAN18

Why: Battery is already a mess with lots of connections with everything run directly to the battery.

What: $128ish for the Super Tenere specific PC8 and Super Tenere specific aux light splitter cable. There is a specific kit for out bike, plug and play!

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/Tenere/PC-8/pc-8.html

Results: Super happy once I learned where to mount the PC8. I forgot to take photos, I have a before photo but need to take an after next time I have the panels off. After searching the forums, I found that folks have mounted this in the upper (blue for my bike) panel above the black battery panel. Cut some plastic and free up some space and mounts very clean! I am electrical patience challenged and I was able to do this, so anyone can! Very clean to install. Had to go online for the instructions, nothing ships with the unit but very easy to figure out.
    StanBo likes this.
  5. fastring

Oddometer:
    Seat Slope Mod

The below parts came in and I installed them in the two "rear" position places. Before replacing, I put a board over the seat and took a measurement. This measurement is the angle of the seat based on the bike being in my garage on the centerstand. The before measurement was "4.8 deg". After replacing the two "rear" rubber things, the rear of the seat was "loose", meaning it could go up and down. After reading what others have done, I drilled a hold in the seat holderdowner tab that is mounted on the bike, filed down one of the freed up big spacers and tried again. After measurement is
    "2.2 deg" suggesting "2.6 deg" of improvement and seat was "solid" again.

Overall, for $12 and a few minutes of time, I am pleased with this mod and a new seat, that will hopefully have the slope removed as part of the foam, is a ways off due to $ priorities.

Parts
    22W-24741-00-00 PAD,SEAT $6.00 each from amazon (not prime). Ordered Qty=2 for the rear to replace the existing seat bumpers with lower bumpers to level out the seat as it currently leans towards the tank.

New (smaller, up front) vs factory (big, in back) bumpers
    20181201_084937.jpg

Receipt and PNs
    20181130_050336.jpg

Modification to the rear seat mount

20181201_090755.jpg

Measurement technique
    20181201_084801.jpg

StanBo likes this.
  6. fastring

Oddometer:
    Reserved - OEM Heated Grips

Ordered Nov 18, These arrived but I have not yet installed

Why:
    Wanted less busy on the bars and this removes the controller functionality to the OEM dash control. I like plug and play, my gift is not patience for clean wiring... There is a "kit" for $350-400 with one Yamaha PN but its cheaper to buy individually. I'll know more once it arrives, but below is what I ordered.

Parts:

Right Heated Grip P/N 2KB-82960-00-00 = $110.48
    Left Heated Grip P/N 2KB-82963-00-00 = $ 99.12
    Protector P/N 2KB-2622K-00-00 = $ 12.84
    Pan Screw P/N 98517-03008-00 = $ .99

Lithium Grease
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00200EFJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grip Glue
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026THWBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    StanBo likes this.
  7. rfulcher

rfulcher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I very recently purchased a low mileage 2015 standard Tenere. I will be watching this thread closely.

I will also be ordering OEM heated grips and will order the parts individually.
  8. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Cheaper and easier in the long run, and you end up with a far better performing, bullet proof bike with 100% reliability, just get a ktm 1290 adventure R, the deals about on new ones if you shop about are staggeringly good,

I nearly did the same as you,

So glad I didnt
  9. Super08

Super08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will also need some grip glue for the left hand grip and some silicone grease for lubing the cable inside the right hand cluster. The install itself is very easy. The only part that takes a bit of thought is the routing of the cable in the right side cluster and placement of the retainer. I have the pdf file with instructions if you want it.
    fastring likes this.
  10. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am interested to see what you do with your bike, as I have recently done the same (same year and color too)
    I have already started the modding process.................
    I bought the OEM heated grips also, and the install process was super easy. I did not purchase the retainer that goes in the right side throttle housing.
    I did use plenty of silicone grease in there though, and you just about need three hands to get it closed up once you try to assemble it with the power wire in there.
    fastring likes this.
  11. gjcarving

gjcarving Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind sharing and are talking about the OEM grip install I would love to see the PDF! I bought all the parts separately but do not have any instructions for it. Thanks!
  12. Super08

Super08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to find a way to upload a pdf file on here. You will have to pm my your email address and I can send it to you.
  13. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    "To me, its cold and I have pledged to "ride everyday" as I've learned I am happier that way. The Giant Loop handguard things help"

I appreciate this, feel the same way, just curious what cold is considered in Georgia and length of commute?
    I have been looking at and interested in the S10 for awhile but current local my drz is really better suited. I'm considering an aerostitch suit to encourage my commuting in the cold, wet winters here.
  14. blackseven

blackseven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off, best/fastest/most offroad capable color choice :) That PC8 is a great mod. I too have one on my Tenere. OEM Grips are the way to go, not sure why people go oxford when the controller is built into the dash and they're covered by the factory warranty - a note on that, I bought the YES plan with my bike new and I've never used it. So reliability. Check. I'm super happy with my S10. 4 years later I still love it.
    fastring likes this.
  15. p3ga

p3ga Rounding Error

Oddometer:
    Heck of a deal on a '14. Watching with interest.
  16. fastring

Oddometer:
    Cold is below 35deg F and length of commute is 26 miles in and 30 miles back to home. In the morning, I leave very early so its still cold to include a 27deg F commute last week. It warmed up this weekend and was in the high 40s deg F this morning so muffs and wind blockers were removed. This bike has more wind protection than any I've owned and my chest is fine, just the hands. I'm also considering a suit to replace my two piece Klim outfit next year, either stich R3 or motoport. I'll get measured for the motoport as I'll be near their location in a few months.
  17. fastring

Oddometer:
    Phone Mount

Full disclosure: I am a long time friend with Hondo Garage's owner, Wiley, who makes the Perfect Squeeze phone mount. That said, I paid my own hard earned money and ordered the device on my own, online and am very impressed with it. In the past, I've used a Ram mount x-grip with the rubber "keep the phone from popping out" band thing with decent success but its slow and not offroad proof. Moving the mount from my old bike, I installed a Ram mount u-bolt kit on the handlebars. I may move this elsewhere but I had the kit already and the location was as good as any. The perfect squeeze mounts to the ram mount and holds the phone great.

Here are some pics.

20181201_131534.jpg 20181201_131813.jpg 20181201_131822.jpg

Parts

- Ram mount u-bolt kit
    - Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount
    http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount
  18. fastring

Oddometer:
    Maintenance

I wont post all the maintenance for the future, but when I do a "first", I'll share any lessons learned. No lessons learned on the tire install other than only have to remove 1 of the 2 front brake calipers. This past weekend, I did final drive and engine oil.

No oil thread comments required, I use Rotella T6 for most bikes such as this one and use Walmart cheap stuff for diff oil. As its easy and cheap, I change Final Drive (FD) fluid every engine oil change or every other. I didnt get to the air filter as it didnt fit in the "baby has a nap for 1hr" time requirement I was working against. FD drain plug had a magnet tip, that was nice. FD oil looked a bit rough, not horrible but not fresh. Engine oil was probably new when I bought it, looked very clear in window, I just like having a maintenance baseline when I buy a vehicle as well as the knowledge that comes with wrenching on it. I didnt remove the OEM plastic "skid plate", just removed the filter and let the oil and gravity do its thing.

20181201_115150.jpg 20181201_120149.jpg 20181201_120157.jpg
    StanBo and richarddacat like this.
  19. fastring

Oddometer:
    LED Headlight Conversion

Ordered parts 5DEC18, completed 6JAN19. Result: Pleased overall, see updated photos of new caps with vents vs stock.

Parts:
    1. LED Bulbs

- Part Ordered: Novsight H7 10000LM 70W LED Headlight Conversion Kit Car Bulbs Fog Lamps 6500K $30.98 from China through eBay

- Why: I've had great luck with LED bulb conversions. Did cyclops in the past, wanted to try something else. If these give me heartache, I will order the probably nicer, better ones from cyclops. To be fair, I've run cyclops bulbs on other bikes with no complaints! They are great and they have a kit for the tenere with deeper caps, so feel free to just order that. I tried to save a few bucks and as the existing kit didnt include a vent for heat, I wanted to try a cheaper "experiment".

- Result: Fit was fine, one of the two had an adapter (that made it H7 specific) that was loose that I superglued so that it would stay in. I didnt take before or after photos shining against my garage but in general, they are brighter light and more consistent coverage than the stock bulbs.

2. Extended housing caps
    - Part Ordered: One set of "deftoner" caps per the below link review, ordered by PM request for user "deftoner" on supertenereforum. These arrived promptly and look great, hope to install once the bulbs arrive.
    https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/i...light-bulb-cap-review-made-by-deftoner.23743/ $35

- Why:
    Seems like LED H7 bulbs are too deep for the stock cap and either no cap, modify cap or this cap would solve it.

- Result: Good quality, fit was perfect. My idea of modifying them by drilling a hole and installing a vent wasnt great. Printed parts are fiberlike and drilling probably wasnt the right way to make the hole. Maybe heat? Not sure, it worked per the pictures but not as clean as I had hoped.

3. Vents
    - Part Ordered: "Breather-B-WP9" from https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bolt-on-breather-vent.html $10.14. These arrived, interestingly I thought I was ordering QTY=2 but received 4. Will install once the bulbs arrive.

- Why: From what I've read, the LED bulbs arent lasting very long on the S10s due to heat. Maybe its forum folklore and I'm solving a problem that doesnt exist (I've done that before!). But for a few $, I figured I'd modify the modified (deeper) caps on the S10 that I am buying above with these caps, hopefully modifed on the side as if placed on the back, they will likely make contact with the forks I think? We'll see if this works. If I can make them bolt on, then I'll document how long (time & miles) these particular bulbs last.

Attached Files:

StanBo and richarddacat like this.
  20. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good thing you’re on a Yamaha, BMW riders would disown you using that cheap Walmart oil. :rofl
    MonkeyBut likes this.