2014 to 2017 GSA is there any big difference

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 1coolbanana, Oct 7, 2019.

1. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all
    If all things are equal, km's, condition and most options fitted, is there any advantage in buying a 17 model over a 14-15-16?
    They seem near identical.
    I hear there were some big updates along the way but cant really pinpoint if they were big or minor, are they big differences?
    I know gear shift assist was not available in 14, is it worth it?
    Im talking pre 17.5 with TFT.
    Thanks in advance

Also considering a Rallye but thats another story :)
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  2. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 17 transmission is worth striving for. My 15 RT sucked shifting, my 17.5 GS is like butter. Still not smooth and silky but I am not to embarrassed by the 1st gear clunk. And while a bunch less, still there.

After owning the 15, I rode a 17 and took the financial bath to have my 17.5 and those transmission upgrades. I knew it would be my last move on a motorcycle due to age and injury and wanted the best example of a 1200 I could get.

I would go with a 17 or 18.

I did not want TFT and I wanted a low suspension so I met those goals. I am really happy for sure.
  3. Sunosauno

Sunosauno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
    1coolbanana likes this.
  4. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds worthwhile to go the 17 and up :-)

Im also in kind of the same situation with possibly my last move with age and injuries so thats very helpful, thanks.

Im a little confused by the 17 versus 17.5.
    Do 17.5's have TFT?

Im looking at a September 17 build without TFT but would this have the upgraded gearbox?

5. triman11427

triman11427 Mud is my chrome

Oddometer:
    It’s usually better to get the most recent year you can afford. I went from a 14 GS to a 17 GSA and although they are different models the bikes are almost the same mechanically. The 17 is better. End of story.
  6. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    IMHO had a 14 GSA 36k and now an 18 14k ...
    18 is a “little” bit smoother .. refined but would never go back to pre TFT
    NorthIdaho800gsa and MrVvrroomm like this.
  7. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2014 GS has gear shift assist pro. It was a retro fit. I think 2013 was the only year you couldn't get it.

I don't get embarrassed by clunk in to 1st. The gear box is the best I own :)
  8. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Yes - '17 GSA is the newest of them all and unwritten rule of buying used mopeds is to get newest with least mileage... :D

Otherwise, there are no particular differences - '16 was also good year and that's the one I've got... '14 was first year for GSAs and some don't like to get first (or even second year) - ymmv...:deal

GL :thumb
  9. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes a 9-17 build will have the upgraded tranny. The tranny upgrade started with 9-16 production. The bike you are considering will be an early 2018 model when the TFT was an option.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  10. 701Jedi

701Jedi n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat... looking at '14-'19 GSAs. From what I've gathered '14-'16 are basically the same bike with little to no changes other than perhaps keyless ride. '17 had the transmission change and the 17.5 and after had the TFT changes. I also know that there were some changes around '17 for the electronic leveling of the suspension (sag)...? I recently tested a '17 without TFT and the transmission felt like the typical motorcycle clunk. Either the transmission was horrible in the past or the upgrade didn't help much. The bike I tested had 29k miles on it. Obviously for the '19 and on it will be the new 1250 vs the 1200. On one hand I'm hesitant to purchase a first year model with the 1250, but on the other hand it is BMW and I feel confident they will take care of their customers. Common sense tells me though that adding more moving parts to the engine will not increase reliability. Perhaps an 18 GSA is the best all around reliable and dependable GSA....? On another note.... how many of us keep bikes beyond the 3 year period anyway?

I also hear some people hate the TFT vs others that love it. Have there been problems with the TFT? I'm curious why people are avoiding it?
  11. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just did not want it but it is very nice. I just like gauges and there is enough under the Info or Trip buttons to keep me plenty satisfied in "finding" stuff to play with.

It really is just preference.
  12. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, Im looking at a 17 with a production date of 2017-07-08.
    Would this have all the updates?
    It does not have TFT.
    TIA
  13. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here run these bikes through this VIN decoder and you will see EXACTLY what is on them. While I like the price spread, 6500 seems a lot for the "same" bike. Last 7 of the VIN will show you all there is on each bike.

https://www.mdecoder.com/
    1coolbanana likes this.
  14. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used this link to run the Vin but how do I know if its the updated version?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    LAFS likes this.
  15. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Do you have a picture of the bike?? That should tell you for sure...

Otherwise, by circumstantial evidence, build date of Jul 08, 2017 which is a month-two short of MY '18 so this should be updated '17.5 version as it was built at almost end of the MY '17...
    1coolbanana likes this.
  16. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the Production Date proofs it out pretty well.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  17. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. chillerman

chillerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the exact same bike with the same features. A couple things to note from all the conversations in this thread. The "17.5" bike only applies to the GS, not the GSA. The fairing/plastics changed on the GS mid year. Nothing changed during the year for the GSA. All 2017 GSA's have the transmission updates. According to the VIN run you show, this bike has all the bells and whistles available at the time. The TFT display did not come out until 2018 models and it was an option. 2019 and beyond, the TFT is standard. Hill start assist was also an option for 2018 I believe, and I think it is now standard as well.
    fred flintstone and Boxerbreath like this.
  19. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks :-)

And I suppose the question is....Are you happy with it :-)
  20. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Look at the body panels. 17 is different than the 17.5 that got all the upgrades. Mine is a 17.5 with no TFT...