2014 V-strom 650 Barkbuster Storms with Kaoko throttle lock

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Wellmanva, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Wellmanva

Wellmanva n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Friend ordered me a set of Barkbuster Storm handguards for my 2014 V-Strom 650 as a gift. Tried installing but having trouble with bracket alignment on right side with the Kaoko throttle lock. Issue seems to be that the throttle lock sticks out just enough to cause an issue with clearance on brake lever and master cylinder. Called Twisted Throttle and was told that the only solution was to order a new Kaoko unit. Really? You would think they would have a better solution.
    Has anyone run into this? I am working on making an extension so things will line up but unsure if it will be sturdy enough. Also needing to find a longer screw to go thru handguard bar and thread into the Kaoko wedge that goes in handlebar, that part shouldn't be too difficult.
    Thanks!
  2. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I believe there is a Kaoko that is made specifically for Barkbusters. I have a 2012, and am using Barkbusters (with their bar ends, as well), and the Kaoko throttle lock. I had already installed the Barkbusters long before the Kaoko, sounds like you did it the other way around. (Yea i know, that doesn't really help anything. :augie) Hope you can get it worked out!
  3. Wellmanva

Wellmanva n00b

Oddometer:
    RedEX,
    Bought the bike last year pretty well loaded, just no hand guards. I did get it worked out. Fabricated a part to make everything line up and got a longer bolt to use on the Kaoko side. It was pretty simple once I got into it. Made it even more surprising that the mfg doesn't offer a conversion kit.
    Thanks for the reply!
    See you are in SE Michigan, i'm in SW VA. Never ridden thru SE MI but in 2018 we took a trip on the Goldwing up the western side of state on way to Canada. Went to Sleeping Bear Dunes Park, that was a pretty neat place. Visited quite a few lighthouses in area before heading to Mackinaw City. Along the way ate at the Legs Inn restaurant. That was a neat place and great Polish food. Great trip! Know that was totally off topic but........
    RedEX likes this.
  4. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Yea the west side is pretty nice, SE Michigan is kind of boring really. I do love the U.P. though. That's interesting, last year I spent a week riding around West Virginia, but also crossed into Virginia for a bit at Rider Gap. Also on another trip (WV again), rode into Bland, rode 16 to Tazewell (what is that called, "Claw of the Dragon?"), and also passed by Burke's Garden. You have so many great roads and interesting historical points! So, crossing back into Michigan on the way home, after that, is a pretty big let-down. I'll definitely be back.
    Glad you got that Kaoko worked out!
    20190820_180323.jpg