2015 Death Valley nOOb's Rally - March 26-29

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by isaac004, Mar 22, 2015.

1. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    I'll be the first to add some riding photos!

So, last year I rode with a group led by Isaac. We did Hunter, Teakettle, Race Track, Lippencott, and then we turned right to go to the springs. Awesome ride, but a really long day.

Here's the picture from last year.

[​IMG]

This year I wanted to do the same loop but turn left at the bottom of Lippencott. The day before I bumped into Adventuredave. Dave had been on Isaac's super loop in 2014 also. Last year Dave was hard to miss on his KLR with blue jeans and a leather jacket. This year he upgraded slightly to an 1190 and some Klim gear. On Thursday, we decided to meet Friday morning at the gas station at 8:30 to do the loop.

I showed up a little early and there were lots of folks milling around. I asked a few people what rides were happening and one group said Hunter-Lippencott. Cool! The more the merrier. They asked if I had done the loop before. I said yes and they asked me to lead since none of them had done the route before. What the heck, I had a GPS, a map, and was very experienced having done the loop once before. What could go wrong, right?

[​IMG]

So with 10 riders we took off. Dave led on the pavement as his 1190 was the biggest bike of the bunch. We had Kawis, GS800, XRR, KTM500, DRZ, and a few others.

At the turn to Saline Valley we aired down a little. One rider burped the high pressure valve on his tubeless setup and was instantly flat. He was able to get enough air in it to ride back to PSR. We felt bad for him. We were now 9 and had not even started riding dirt.

It was soon pretty clear we were all on the noobish side of the scale and our homogenous riding speed and skills made for a really fun group.

We made it to Teakettle without event and then walked out to the Grandstand for lunch. Throughout the ride there were lots of questions about Lippencott. I remember I was pretty intimidated by the unknown last year. I tried to give an honest assessment of it and keep everyone's confidence up.

[​IMG]

We all stopped at the Lippencott sign for a group pic. I said we needed a picture because some of us probably won't survive the descent. There was chuckling, I think.

[​IMG]

Right about then two guys on 990s go by. One 990 gets 100 yards and dumps it. Our group got real quiet. Two guys went down to help him lift it and he rode back to the top. He had only been riding dirt for two days and his buddy takes him down Lippencott on a 990. Nice!

So there were two drops on the descent. John dropped his KTM but was quick enough to pick it up before I could get a picture. The GS800 also fell over. The XRR got hot and took awhile to restart about 3/4 of the way down. Those were the only mishaps on Lippencott. Dave rode his 1190 down it like a pro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hit Saline Valley Road and back to camp.

It was an awesome ride and a great group of riders. Now one of the 7 that had not done Lippencott before has to lead the ride next year.

[​IMG]
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All set to lead a group of 14 to Chloride Cliffs, Beatty, Rhyolite, and Titus Canyon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed out and a couple of miles up the other side of Panamint Valley my bike popped off a coolant hose, overheated and died.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We quickly reorganized, and GalacticGS took the lead and the Noobs had a great ride.

So ends the ride report.

Metrotexual and I spent Saturday enjoying a few beers and a little hike on the north end of Panamint Valley.

[​IMG]

"Dude, we can totally make it there on 2 beers, the dunes are right there!"

[​IMG]

The desert was in bloom everywhere! You just had to get close enough to see it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking a little rest on top of the little pile of tailings:

[​IMG]

The view from there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again to Joel for putting this together, the DRZ 650 rider that towed me back up the hill to PSR, and to Lior for taking a quick look at the dead BMW.
  3. Molonlabemike

Molonlabemike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

No problem Tim. Thanks for giving us the insight the night before :freaky
  4. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Noobs ride to Ballarat/Charcoal Kilns/Aguereberry Point

Group picture at Ballarrat
    [​IMG]

No group photo at the kilns....

Aguereberry Point
    [​IMG]

Another successful run.. lets' go for three-peat next year :D
    [​IMG]

Best of all, new sticky for the steed.
    [​IMG]
  5. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got on the bike.
    Rode.
    Got off the bike.

Think of it as one of those magazines you claim to buy for the articles, but here's the real reason:

[​IMG]

Ubehebe Crater
    [​IMG]

Teakettle Junction
    [​IMG]

Noobs at the springs
    [​IMG]

Hunter Cabin
    [​IMG]

Racetrack
    [​IMG]

Twenty Mule Team road
    [​IMG]

Scotty's Castle
    [​IMG]

Jimmy Lewis said to balance it with one finger.
    [​IMG]

Herding Cats
    [​IMG]

Matt at the Salt Lake
    [​IMG]

Long-time resident
    [​IMG]

Artist's Palette
    [​IMG]
  6. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great photos, PukaWai!
  7. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jason and I are both home safe and sound. Great big thanks to everyone in attendance. Thank you to the vendors and supporters that contributed time and swag for the raffle. DV Noobs is different every year and this year was no exception. Fridays ride took us up to Aguereberry Point and
    the view was spectacular. On Saturday morning my bike decided to follow
    the lead of Tbarstow and next door neighbor Tom and not run. Very grateful that we were not 100 miles out when it happened. We instead consoled ourselves with BBQ and beer and hung out in camp.
    Thanks to Jimmy and Heather Lewis for the 2 noobs classes. Always pick something up and get reminded of stuff from a class a few years ago.
    One big thanks to Joel for making it happen and taking the time to make everyone feel welcome. It's good to be a noob.
  8. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeff (JAB) - Thanks for the cool glasses this year! Good to see you and Jason again...
  9. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Larry, good to see you too. I has been a lot of fun doing the glasses. :freaky
  10. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios...

Oddometer:
    Well crap. I'm home. That means teh event is over.

I don't have time to go a complete RR right now. For now just a couple teasers..

Against some odds the bike actually made it there in one motorcycle shaped piece.
    [​IMG]

On Wednesday Henry/Heakle and I went and placed the repeater.
    [​IMG]

On Thursday Henry, Tony, and I went to mess with the now-broken repeater. :( No issues with the bike, dropped about 120 miles down, then the kickstand broke off at the gas station. :huh

Friday I fixed the kick stand and had lunch by myself in a nice spot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Saturday we had what became the Out of the Comfort Zone ride. Boy that was a lot of fun and a lot of work.

[​IMG]
    Jeneane/TheQuietOne looking like a boss.

Sunday Berndt/PukaWai, Dave/Garfey, and I went to get the repeater.
    [​IMG]
    Berndt salutes.

More later after a sleep or two..
  11. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    Tim Barstow and I trucked in from Vegas on Thursday afternoon.

Friday morning, I was planning to ride sweep while Tim led a Noobs ride to Chloride Cliffs, Beatty, and Titus Canyon. We left the gas station at PSR as a group of 13. Unfortunately, not more than a mile or two down the road Tim's bike blew a radiator hose, and overheated (not sure of all the damage yet). So we were down to a group of 12. I took over the lead, and York stepped up to ride sweep.

We needed to stop at Stovepipe for some riders to get gas or park passes (or both), and one of the bikes had electrical issues and so left to go back to PSR, and we were down to a group of 11 before ever hitting the dirt.

The Elite Eleven successfully completed the rest of the ride!

I tried to get pictures of everyone at various places, but I apologize if I missed someone - was focused mostly on making sure we didn't lose anybody along the way.

Here are pics as we left the pavement to finally start the dirt route to Chloride Cliffs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come...
  12. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Another great Noobs Rally resulting in a couple weekends worth of bike wrenching for me to be whole again:

the little girls bike, may have given up the ghost after hauling me up and down Pleasant Canyon and South Park ... at least she died at the pavement.

[​IMG]

Picked up a nail somewhere near Warm Springs Cabin

[​IMG]

What happens when you keep hitting the big rocks on the big bike :huh

[​IMG]
  13. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Todd - that last pic is not a bent rim, but a custom wheel with tire lever insertion points.
  14. slugdad

slugdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you win todd

[​IMG]
  15. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios...

Oddometer:
    Officially back in the every day, boring life. :cry After riding 300 miles around Panamint, Death, and Saline Valleys I decided to ride the bike into work, it's a dual sport after all. I don't think I'll be doing that very often at all, with its dirt-oriented gearing it's only good for about 60 mph (with a bit more room in case I need to take evasive actions).

[​IMG]
  16. GalacticGS

Oddometer:

Not from this ride, but this one does have you beat...

[​IMG]
  17. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    We ran the dirt to the bottom of Chloride Cliffs, and re-grouped. Then on to the top. Everybody made it safely!!

[​IMG]

The pic's always better with a Husaberg in it...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The view from Chloride Cliffs is amazing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob emerging from his cave...
    [​IMG]
  18. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    2015 N00B Rally

Has to be single-handedly the largest gathering I ever get to witness in Panamint Springs.

More pictures will be forthcoming along with a better write up but for now this will serve as a place-holder for the proper ride report.

Thursday rolled into camp O-Dark early in order to sweep for Joel's ride.

Got settled in and met up with his group around 9am at the gas station.
    I don't know who the people in the group were so here is a photo, PM me who you are when you see this so I can put names to the faces.

[​IMG]

The basic route was Indian Ranch to Ballarat. From there we rode out to the main hwy and went up to the Kilns. Along the way we picked up a couple hitch hikers (Lior and his wife).

[​IMG]

Continued to Aguereberry Point
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everyone lined up ready to head back to camp.

[​IMG]

From there continued up Wildrose to the top and came back over the pass from the east back towards camp.
    Total miles was around 120. No incidents or issues to report was a good ride.

Friday ride was to work as sweep for the Hot Springs ride. Waited for Rider914 since he also was going to help on the loop and we caught up with the main pack a bit before South Pass.

Turned out there was a rider that was very new to the dirt and after talking with him it was decided a alternate destination was in order to accommodate his situation.
    This worked out well since Joel had to be back to camp early as well for other duties.
    Ended up leading this smaller group (Joel, Cathy, Ginger (I dont know his screen name but he has red hair) and myself went to the cabin up on Hunter Mountain.
    He ended up having a great ride so I think this was the right decision and he got more one on one advise and help from the group he was with than he would have with the large group that went to the hot springs.
    By the time he was on his way back from the cabin there were incremental improvements in his riding skills which make it a better weekend for him overall, which is always the goal.

Figuring out where to go.

[​IMG]

Made it to the cabin. For some reason I have NO pictures of the whole group from when we got there...fail on my part.

[​IMG]

While hanging at the cabin another small group rolled up, they were wanting to go down lippencott but had never been there before. After talking it over with Joel, he was good with taking the group back to camp.
    I went off with the other group and rode with them through hidden valley to the race track. One of the ass holes said he was slow. He lied...

Got to Tea Kettle

[​IMG]

Decided to walk out to the grand stand

[​IMG]

The group I was with, the not so slow liar is on the left ;-)

[​IMG]

Not much more to take after this, going down lippencottt passed a large group of riders from what I hear they all made it down without incident.
    One of my group caught up at the bottom and from there motored back to camp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday decided to follow Rider914 and others on a ride to just explore around the valley. What I did not realize was how wiped out I got from the prior days ride.

This was the group stopped at one of the cabins, Bob is missing from this picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here is was through some old two track

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was at this point I knew I was riding beyond my limits, too fatigued from the prior day.

I split off from the group and headed back to camp when we got to the main road.
    It ended up being an 80+ mile day for me. I was wiped out.

Stats for the whole weekend.

[​IMG]

On the drive home there were a good number of wild flowers out in the desert, nice to see this time of year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overview of the entire weekend:

[​IMG]
  19. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    It was a great rally this year.
    Nice weather (by which I mean no snow or high winds, although it was pretty hot in the valleys during the day).
    Lots of fun times riding and talking with good folks.
    A BIG thanks to everyone who participated! :thumb

On Friday, we rode to Cerro Gordo via Darwin and Centennial Flat.

China Garden Spring
    [​IMG]
    We had a good group of riders with an even pace and positive attitude.

Centennial Flat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After lots of sand tracks in Centennial Flat, we rested in the only shade we could find before we headed up to Cerro Gordo for lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After lunch Dave & Matt headed back and we continued on towards the overlook (part of the way out to the Salt Tram)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we rode back to Cerro Gordo and continued down the east side of the mountain.
    As we had been told, the lower section of the road was gone and was replaced by a loose river rock wash with big boulders.
    That was a good workout for us in the afternoon.

We stopped for well deserved break at Boxcar cabin before continuing on to camp and dinner.
    We all worked hard and had a great day of riding behind us.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jimmy Lewis performing maneuvers on a big GS.
    [​IMG]

On Saturday, we rode out via Nadeau Road and down Manly Pass to Goler Wash.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took a short break after riding the old road to the top of the pass into Panamint Valley, before heading south towards Trona and Manly Pass (also known as the Escape Trail).
    [​IMG]

Manly Pass
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the rock garden section at the bottom, the road conditions improved dramatically as we headed around the south section of the valley towards Goler Wash.
    [​IMG]

Bill split off at the bottom of Goler and headed back to camp (he has his own story to tell).
    We continued on and stopped in what shade we could find in the canyon at Goler Wash for a lunch break before continuing on to Barker Ranch and (what's left of) Manson's Cabin.
    [​IMG]

George split off and headed back to camp after Barker Ranch, and we continued up into Mengel Pass.
    Nadeau Road and Manly Pass were both a good workout and we were all pretty worn out as we pulled through the rough parts of Mengel.

[​IMG]

We rode down through the rock section to get a view of Butte Valley and the Striped Butte.
    [​IMG]

Butte Valley
    [​IMG]

After taking a few photos, we were all ready to head back through the rough spots in Mengel and get to Ballarat for a cool drink before heading back to PSR.
    It was another awesome day of riding with a solid group of folks.
    I think it is safe to say that everyone was exhausted by the time we got back to camp.

The dinner was excellent and the raffle went smoothly. Fun times by the fire until late in the evening. :freaky
    I had a great time and want to say thanks, again, to everyone who participated - with a special thank you to Joel and the volunteers who make this event happen. :clap:clap:clap
  20. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    GREAT RALLY!:clap Pics are uploading...:deal