2015-on Versys 650 (LT/ABS)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mcmann, Nov 5, 2014.

1. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, we can start a new Versy LT model thread:

Current ETA in the U.S. Feb 2015.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8ZBSFZSvY

http://www.kawasaki.com/Press/Release/2015-VERSYS-650-ABS

[​IMG]

The Kawasaki Versys 650 has seen a long list of revisions for 2015, from its styling to its engine, and is being offered in both LT and ABS versions. Some of the revisions are directly aimed at quelling the noticeable vibrations of prior models, primarily rubber-mounting the engine and using rubber-isolated handlebars. Dynamically, the 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT and 650 ABS are carbon copies, the LT version receiving Kawasaki Quick Release hard saddlebags and hand guards in order to bolster its touring resume. The saddlebags reportedly offer 28-liters of storage.

The 649cc Parallel Twin of the Versys is inherited from the Ninja 650 and reportedly has been tuned for greater torque. This is accomplished by changes to the ECU and a new one-piece exhaust aimed to boost power in the upper ranges. The 2015 Versys 650 LT/ABS also receives a new fuel pump and Kawasaki Air Management System radiator air duct system. The latest 650 Versys also runs a bigger 5.5-gallon tank, up a half-gallon from 2014.

In the suspension department, the rear sees a new KYB shock with a remote preload adjuster while an adjustable Showa fork supports the front. Damping and spring functions are split between the fork tubes to provide the adjustability and to shave a little weight. The outer fork tubes are also longer than before in an effort to improve rigidity on the front end. Additionally, the 2015 Versys 650 received a new subframe to go along with its rear suspension in order to increase the payload it can support. In the case of the 2015 Versys 650 LT, the subframe supports the hard saddlebags.

In the braking department, Kawasaki went with new Nissin block-style calipers and brake pads. The master cylinders are new as well and Kawi bumped up the size of the rear disc, too. ABS comes standard on both versions while the bike is shod in different rubber in the form of a set of Dunlop Sportsmax D222 tires.

The fresh styling starts with a new cowling and twin side-by-side headlights that replace the former stacked set. The new design of the front fairing includes a chin spoiler under the headlights to create more downforce at higher speeds and air passages on the side cowling to redirect air around the rider. Kawasaki says the windshield is now almost twice the size as before and can be adjusted up by 2.4-inches sans tools. Footpegs on the 2015 Versys LT/ABS are 15mm lower and 20mm further forward in comparison to last year’s model. The tail has been tweaked as well and outfitted with a new LED taillight.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS Specifications
    Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder parallel twin
    Displacement: 649cc
    Bore x stroke: 83 x 60mm
    Compression ratio: 10.8:1
    Cooling: Liquid
    Fuel injection: DFI with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies
    Ignition: TCBI with electronic advance
    Transmission: Six-speed with positive neutral finder
    Final drive: Sealed chain
    Frame: Double pipe diamond frame constructed from high-tensile steel
    Rake / trail: 25 degrees / 4.3 in.
    Wheelbase: 55.7 in.
    Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork with stepless adjustable rebound and preload / 5.9 in.
    Rear suspension / wheel travel: Single offset laydown shock with remote adjustable spring preload / 5.7 in.
    Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
    Rear tire: 160/60 ZR17
    Front brake: Dual 300mm petal-style rotors with two-piston calipers and ABS
    Rear brake: Single 250mm petal-style rotor with single-piston caliper and ABS
    Overall length: 85.2 in.
    Overall width: 33.1 in.
    Overall height: 55.1 in. (windshield low) / 57.1 in. (windshield raised)
    Seat height: 33.1 in.
    Curb weight: 476 lbs.
    Fuel capacity: 5.5 gal.
    Colors: Candy Lime Green, Pearl Stardust White
    Warranty: 12 months
    Optional Kawasaki Protection Plus: 12, 24, 36, and 48-month plans are available
    Accessories:
    The Kawasaki Genuine Accessories program is available at authorized Kawasaki dealers. The range of options includes KQRTM (Kawasaki Quick Release) 28-liter Hard Saddlebags with the Kawasaki One Key system, as well as a new KQR 47-liter Top Case (with the same One Key system), which can accommodate two full-face helmets and can be used alone or with saddlebags. There is also an optional LED Light Bar, a 12v DC Outlet to power electronics, Grip Heaters, a low Gel Seat, Tank Bag, Knee Pads, Frame Sliders, Windshield and a Gear Position Indicator, to name some of the items offered as Kawasaki Genuine Accessories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats. I was hoping they'd go the other way and maker it lighter and more sporty, along w/the whole smoother, more efficient theme. Alas, they made their choice. I suspect it'll be an awesomely good, understated and underappreciated bike. I loved mine and found them much preferable to the Wee, especially on the street.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  3. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Great looking bike.
  4. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
    "At $8,699 . . . Too good to pass up. Ordered a white LT "

You're not kidding, it's around $11k in the UK without luggage!!!
  5. sfrider300

sfrider300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great. I've been "this" close to purchasing a Versys a couple times. Test road one and thought the handling was superb for a bike in this price range. It seems like the jury is unanimous that it's a great commuter and lite tourer that leaves everyone feeling it's worth 10-15% more than the price tag.
  6. Schroeder

Schroeder Schroeder

Oddometer:
    I really like this bike! would love to test ride one when they come out.
  7. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woohoo... they finally released pricing! :clap
    $7999 for the "base" model is superb. It's going to be a tough decision between the Weestrom and Versys when it comes to my next purchase in a few months.
    Which leads to my next question... when's the release date??
  8. JoshM

Oddometer:
    Versys Forum has two guys with confirmation from separate dealers expecting 1000s in January. Hopefully 650s will be around that same time frame as well. Or earlier...?
  9. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    i like this bike. it seems Kawasaki finally figured the Versys out and went with the tall sportbike aesthetic. this bike looks good, and sleek. the last one is frumpy even by last generation standards. or any standard. just look at the thing. i mean all due respect to owners, but seriously, folks :puke1

[​IMG]

the new bike is much better looking imo. it looks sporty and kind of badass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. mcmann

Oddometer:
    My local dealer was guessing by the end of the month for the 650 LT. He received his order forms this morning . . . I rode down at 9:00 to put a deposit on a white LT.

It looks and sounds like they made some nice improvements.

I tried to make my last V into an Adventure-Style bike via spokes and 19" front wheel . . . Which messed it up for the paved curves. I bought a Wee2 for Adventure rides, the V is my mid size Sport tourer.

My second V:
    [​IMG]

My first V:

[​IMG]
  11. JoshM

Oddometer:
    Well, I hope you're able to get your hands on one. I'd like see a review from someone who owns a Wee-strom and '15 Versys. Besides, my PCX won't be paid off until late Dec.
  12. Jeephoto

Jeephoto Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer:
    I was ready to pull the trigger on a holdover '13 V650 but I wanted ABS. Since I saw the white '15 LT with the new fairing design and other touring upgrades, I can't wait to get my hands on one. I'm looking for better road/street capability for commuting & light touring than my KLR650 gives.
  13. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kind of miss that bike. And the 2011 I had.:D
  14. Jeephoto

Oddometer:
    I thought you were considering the new Yamaha FJ09? What changed your mind?

For the past couple of days I've been back-and-forth between the FJ09 triple and the Versys 650 LT. But I'm now leaning toward the Kaw because it looks like you get more "bang for your buck".
  15. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Since I already have a FZ and really enjoy the super light weight . . . I decided to try the new V. Plus, it is definitely the most bang for the buck.

The V has a beafier rear frame and plenty of zip for me. I really enjoyed my last two . . .

My FZ-09 OEM rear rack has a maximum load limit of 5kg. Which is why I only use soft bags on my FZ.
    The FJ-09 uses virtually the same light weight frame . . . with additional support for hard bags . . . has a warning about adding a rear top case.
    WARNING
    Hard Saddlebags and Top Case not recommended to be used together on FJ-09 due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle.

The warning may be referring to total gross weight overloading . . . not the rear frame . . .

For comparison:
    the 2015 Versys 650 received a new subframe to go along with its rear suspension in order to increase the payload it can support:
    [​IMG]

Plus, more leg room: Foot-pegs on the 2015 Versys LT/ABS are 15mm lower and 20mm further forward in comparison to last year’s model.

I plan on rotating my 3 bikes . . . They all have different characteristics . . . Life is good.
  16. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki does offer the Sporty version . . . For the young generation . . .

[​IMG]
  17. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed. It's back on the radar. I was a bit let down for the FJ-09, though many others are in the running (We have the same disease, I fear.). Besides, when it comes right down to it, the Kawi/Suzi dealer is about 6 minutes away, w/no traffic. That's gotten to be about as important as anything to me. They all make good stuff these days and I don't run 'em hard anymore. All good.
  18. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of the new ones, but if I'm going to spend the money to upgrade from my '09, it's going to be spent on a Versys 1K. My kids are getting to the point where the wife and I can leave them for a night or two, so I need (:evil) a little extra power and more importantly seat room to make it more comfortable for the two of us.
  19. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm loving the new design too on this versys, and I will be checking out the 1000 along with an fj09 to see if either one gets me gitty enough to pull the trigger. I am genuinely wondering what you think the v650 will do that your '14 vstrom doesn't. They seem nearly identical in many respects, so i am quiet curious why you'd want to own both?!
  20. Jeephoto

Oddometer:
    Me, too. :ear

I'm coming from a KLR650 and want better street/touring manners.

My short list is the '15 Versys 650 LT (the white one) or the '15 Yamaha FJ09 (love that Red). I was leaning toward the FJ09 for the 3-cylinder engine from the FZ09 figuring the larger engine would be best for touring. I thought the 650 would be too small.

I just don't care for the WeeStrom although many, many people like it.

I would love to hear your thoughts.