2015-on Versys 650 (LT/ABS)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mcmann, Nov 5, 2014.

1. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The V has a shorter wheelbase & 17" front tire which offers quicker steering in the curves. The Wee2 is more of an Adventure-style bike with the 19" front . . . It has a longer wheelbase which makes it a better highway bike. It has a great 90 degree V-Twin engine, offers a center stand etc.

If you want a comfortable & Sporty Everyday bike . . . the V may appeal to you more than the Wee. The Wee is a great all-around bike & my favorite for now. That may change with the LT . . . The FZ-09/FJ-09 definitely has the best engine! My FZ is more of my Play bike . . .

I am at a point in my life that I do not have to be practical. Motorcycling is my passion . . . I simply like riding Wee's & V's. The FZ-09 is my comfortable Sport Bike.

I keep coming back to Wee's and V's . . . Decided to have both.

On a side note . . . The new Wee2 feels sportier than the Wee1 due to improved suspension etc. It feels like it is smoother and more powerful too. I liked my '11 Wee so much . . . I wanted to see if the Wee2 was that much better . . . It is!

I hope I like the new LT as much as my '14 Wee2.

The '11 Wee felt bigger than the '14 model:

[​IMG]

The new V looks bigger than the old V . . . The pipe under the engine hides the weight due to the lower center of gravity:

[​IMG]
    The Wee carries weight higher . . . Makes it feel heavier . . . The 19" front wheel absorbs bumps better:
    [​IMG]

2. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that all sounds legit enough :wink:. Can't wait to hear your first impressions on the bike!

DUDECLONE: Those are some nice pics you found there! Thanks for posting.
  4. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Think again......I did 4100 miles in 12 days about 3 years ago....Detroit to Durango and back. The 650 Versys is a great light touring bike.
  5. Jeephoto

Jeephoto Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I want to hear; this bike will be mostly used for around town and commuting, but I want to do some longer rides every so often. My longest ride so far is about 350 miles on the KLR and it "beat me up". But if I have the right bike my son and I would love to ride from DFW to Moab; him on his Tiger 800 XC and me on the Versys 650.

Let's talk about accessories for the Versys 650 LT. Some of the websites have been mentioning some items, but there is nothing official on the Kawasaki site.

I'm thinking about the Top Case, Power Outlet (for my GPS), Low Gel Seat, Heated Grips and bigger windshield. That added to the LT should make a killer Light Touring package.
  6. mcmann

Oddometer:
    The press release includes info on accessories:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Press/Release/2015-VERSYS-650-ABS

I am interested in the Gear Position Indicator.

The Kawasaki Genuine Accessories program is available at authorized Kawasaki dealers. The range of options includes KQRTM (Kawasaki Quick Release) 28-liter Hard Saddlebags with the Kawasaki One Key system, as well as a new KQR 47-liter Top Case (with the same One Key system), which can accommodate two full-face helmets and can be used alone or with saddlebags. There is also an optional LED Light Bar, a 12v DC Outlet to power electronics, Grip Heaters, a low Gel Seat, Tank Bag, Knee Pads, Frame Sliders, Windshield and a Gear Position Indicator, to name some of the items offered as Kawasaki Genuine Accessories.

7. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:

The vstrom 650 and I'm sure the versys 650 are really ideal for the use you describe. I use my vstrom exactly for those purposes, communting and day trips, and really couldn't ask for a better setup. These bikes have just the right amount of power, imo, to get the job done right. In fact, more power would probably have already gotten me into trouble, as I have mistakenly gotten too throttle happy on a number of occasions at just the wrong time.

I think you'll find the versys just right for what you want to do.
  8. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    I really like her so far!

Value looks very good.

Concerned about fuel economy. From what I remember on research, the old one was junk on fuel econmy.

This MC is 50/50.
    Half toy
    Half econo commuter.
    But all urban assault with a tarmac bug out range of maybe 300+ miles.:deal
    Good ergos for touring!

If the mpg are just 10 units less than the NC750X, I will look into her.
    I refuse to purchase a NC700X . CB500X all the way.

---
    Favorite specs.
    Wheel base
    5.5 gallons
    Good suspension travel for a 17" front.
  9. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics!

Thanks.
  10. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I regularly got 57 mpg's (U.S.) on my '09 Versys 650. They're calling for a nice percentage improvement. If you push it, you obviously will fall from those numbers.

I found the Versys much preferable over the Wee, but that's just me. It's much sportier, gruntier, and more nimble. The Wee, OTOH, is roomier and better off-paved roads.

The market's getting crowded w/nice options, these included. Decisions to make...
    Phipsd likes this.
  11. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Yep . . . Consistently got 55 mpg on my V . . . Usually shifting at 6K . . . Great mid range power. cls . . . you should try the Wee2 . . . it may change your mind . . . You are welcome to ride my bike anytime bro. Yes, the Wee has more room for 2-up riding . . .

To me . . . They are two different types of bikes. Short trips and curvy roads . . . take the V. Longer trips & Adventure rides . . . take the Wee2.

Will the new V do most anything . . . You betchya

KEY FEATURES OF THE 2015 KAWASAKI VERSYS 650 ABS:
    NEW Front-end styling with an aggressive and functional design
    NEW Repositioned footpegs and rubber-mounted engine for extended comfort
    NEW Larger windshield with increased adjustability provides better wind protection
    NEW SHOWA front suspension with easy adjustment
    NEW KYB rear shock with remote preload adjuster
    NEW Passenger grips for increased confidence and comfort incorporating KQR™ saddlebag mounting system
    NEW Brake master cylinders and Nissin calipers
    NEW More power and torque from 649cc parallel-twin engine with Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®)
    NEW Larger fuel tank for extended range
    NEW Rear subframe allows increased payload capacity
    •NEW KQR™ (Kawasaki Quick Release) Hard Saddlebags and Hand Protectors (standard equipment on the LT model)
    Extensive selection of Kawasaki Genuine Accessories

12. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you guys feel about the sidecases opening in a "splitting" fashion as opposed to having a "lid", like on the wee2 adv? I'm always worried that splitting cases will be more prone to leaking water and what would happen if say they pop open on the highway?! Wouldn't all your stuff just fall out?!

Maybe a false concern, curious thought, as I never had a bike with cases like the versys.
  13. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Givi has been selling split-type cases for years. Get a water proof liner bag . . . Or, get the Std. V and after market top load cases. I have not had any problems with the Givi type.

I prefer the more aerodynamic cases myself . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By comparison:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Jeephoto

Jeephoto Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer:
    Pardon me for being dumb, but what is the usefulness of a "Gear Position Indicator"? :huh I mean, I know why it would be useful, but why should I buy one as an optional accessory?

Plus, how much would something like that cost?

On my KLR, when I'm riding along at speed I just pull in the clutch and pull with my toe; finding out that I really don't have another gear to go to.

(Looking forward to six speeds on the Versys). :clap

Keep posting pics of the new Versys, I love how it looks.
    I can see myself sitting at a coffeeshop enjoying my drink and just gazing at my V sitting in the parking lot.
  15. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never had anything except "splitting" cases. I like the "narrowness" vs the V-Strom Adv cases.

I don't know about sitting at a coffee shop... but I do wish to see this in the parking lot from my office window instead of my PCX :evil
  16. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank's everyone for your input on the cases. I can definietly tell you the strom adv boxes are NOT very aerodynamic, and you notice it on the highway especially. Not that I care particularly much about mpg, but with side cases on, mpg goes from low 50s to high/mid 40s (depending on wind) at a steady 75pmh. That change in mpg tells me they do cause some significant drag, but I like the vstrom cases for their toughness and size. Plenty of room inside and you can strap lots on top of them. Plus the bike really doesn't feel much different with them on, so I don't necessarily see it as a meaningful problem. Nonetheless, it's nice to see that these new bikes come with more aerodynamic and more esthetically pleasing parts.
  17. mcmann

Oddometer:
    My Wee2 and FZ-09 both have the gear position indicator standard in the dash. Both bikes have great low end torque. I find myself short shifting often . . . I have found the gear indicator useful for me. It is like going from an iPhone 5 to a 5s . . . Not really necessary . . . But convenient. I expect to be short shifting the new V too . . . Nice to know I am in 4th when approaching a stop . . . So I can start down shifting sooner. It is always easier to downshift while still moving.

We will not know the cost until it is posted on their website.

18. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kind offer and agreed on the evaluation of the bikes. If I go Strom, it'll be the V2. IF...
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Ground clearance
    6.7 in

Seat Height
    33.1 in

Curb Weight
    476.3 lb** (+ Saddlebags, Handguards, & Hardware approx. 20 lb)

Fuel capacity
    5.5 gal

Wheelbase
    55.7 in

I like everything except the weight. But no big deal. Would only keep her on forest roads of course.
    ____

If the fuel economy has improved, then this would be a great MC!
    Range could be 300+ miles.

_____

Front suspension / wheel travel
    41mm hydraulic telescopic fork with stepless adjustable rebound and preload / 5.9 in

Rear suspension / wheel travel
    Single offset laydown shock with remote adjustable spring preload / 5.7 in

Better than the Honda ADV MCs.
    Nc700X has
    Front Suspension 41mm fork, 5.4 inches travel
    Rear Suspension Pro-Link® single shock; 5.9 inches travel

CB500X
    Front Suspension 41mm fork; 5.5 inches travel
    Rear Suspension Pro-Link single shock with nine-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I get the MC.
    KIND of a fair priced touring MC with good ergos and commanding views... that fears no tarmac. Who wants to go do some touring through New Orleans? :evil
    In hard packed gravel roads or hard packed dirt roads her suspension is adequate. So thousands of miles of National Park roads and National Forest roads are open for touring.

What I really like is the wheel base. 55.7"
    For some reason I like a nimble MC.
    THIS is a real turn off on the Wee(dl650). 61.4". :puke1

This will help with manuvering at slow speeds and cutting into lanes and such. So good urban assaults.

a more narrow wheel base should help when off road.
    So the 6.7" ground clearance is not that much of a handy cap to the Vstrom's 6.9" of ground clearance.

This illustrates the short coming of the Wee. Piss weak ground clearence. Ohh, but spoked wheels make her good to go.

But in the end the 19" tyre and just a little improved suspension allow the Wee to be a better Alaska trip MC.:deal

P.s.
    Moved post from other thread and nuked them