2015-on Versys 650 (LT/ABS)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mcmann, Nov 5, 2014.

1. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The '15 V reportedly has been tuned for greater torque . . . We will see how it puts power to the rear wheel.

I noticed more low end power to the rear wheel from my '06 Wee to my dual spark '09 Wee . . . and again on my '14 Wee. Which means there is definitely tuning advantages that can be done with a 650 size engine.

When I would swap between my '09 non ABS Wee & '09 non ABS V . . . I would think "Dang, I wish I had the Wee engine in the V" . . . due to more low end torque and less buzzy.

I really liked the size and weight of the '09 V. I had a Baldwin touring seat on the V for more leg room.

Suzuki claims a 5 hp increase for 2015 . . . I have not read about the torque amount increase . . . which is the real power to the wheel.

As mentioned before . . . The Wee felt and looks much bigger than the V:

[​IMG]
  2. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm also a fan of the Versys over the Strom (or FZ-07/-09). It's a more practical, sedate bike, w/great torque down low. If they've smoothed out the engine, that'll be a big help. I still hate they added weight, though. And I was kind of hoping they'd take it to a 750 or 800...I have big dreams.

Looking forward to the reviews/comparos. Soon, I hope...
  3. mcmann

Oddometer:
    How would you compare the power of your V over your FZ-07?

We should meet for a ride when my new V arrives. See how it fits etc.
  4. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeh, we do need to do that. I suspect I could bring something you'd like to try...The -07 was faster, hands down. The power delivery/character, however, I'd give to the Versys. That is primarily because I like a slower revving, but heavier hitting power delivery for this role of bike. It's just more relaxed and enjoyable, while still feeling strong and un-stressed. That was my primary issue w/the FZ-09: It always felt like it was trying too hard; like it had something to prove. I wrote somewhere it felt like a hyped up, really strong 600. That is not to my liking. I'm traditionally a "there is no replacement for displacement" kind of guy. Love that torque and getting everything you want/need, w/o having to push the bike's limits. Interestingly, I find the 500X better at that delivery than the -07. It's very comfortable and capable to run around w/a whiff of throttle at 2-4K on public roads or in traffic, and smooth as a baby's butt doing it.

Different from most folks, I know.
    Phipsd likes this.
  5. 670ccc

670ccc Banned

Oddometer:
    Sure you did, and I'm Donald Trump.
  6. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know the disease well. I sort of like it is the sad thing...
  7. Jeephoto

Jeephoto Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer:
    Is there anymore word on when the '15 Versys 650 LT actually hits the dealerships? My local dealer cannot provide any more info than "first of December".

I have the cash in hand and ready to buy it. I keep looking at the "holdover" '13's and ABS '14 they have on the showroom floor, but I'm holding out for the new Versys LT.

Sometimes I think I know more about the bike than they do given all the information on the Internet.
  8. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Per the Kawasaki order desk this afternoon, and according to them, none of the Versys 650 LTs have hit the USA yet. They will be on the water soon, but not yet. They are at least a few weeks out for the east side of the country.

[​IMG]
  9. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    First look from MC USA
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/629/1...15-Kawasaki-Versys-650-LT-ABS-First-Look.aspx

The Kawasaki Versys 650 has seen a long list of revisions for 2015, from its styling to its engine, and is being offered in both LT and ABS versions. Some of the revisions are directly aimed at quelling the noticeable vibrations of prior models, primarily rubber-mounting the engine and using rubber-isolated handlebars. Dynamically, the 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT and 650 ABS are carbon copies, the LT version receiving Kawasaki Quick Release hard saddlebags and hand guards in order to bolster its touring resume. The saddlebags reportedly offer 28-liters of storage.

The 649cc Parallel Twin of the Versys is inherited from the Ninja 650 and reportedly has been tuned for greater torque. This is accomplished by changes to the ECU and a new one-piece exhaust aimed to boost power in the upper ranges. The 2015 Versys 650 LT/ABS also receives a new fuel pump and Kawasaki Air Management System radiator air duct system. The latest 650 Versys also runs a bigger 5.5-gallon tank, up a half-gallon from 2014.

In the suspension department, the rear sees a new KYB shock with a remote preload adjuster while an adjustable Showa fork supports the front. Damping and spring functions are split between the fork tubes to provide the adjustability and to shave a little weight. The outer fork tubes are also longer than before in an effort to improve rigidity on the front end. Additionally, the 2015 Versys 650 received a new subframe to go along with its rear suspension in order to increase the payload it can support. In the case of the 2015 Versys 650 LT, the subframe supports the hard saddlebags.

In the braking department, Kawasaki went with new Nissin block-style calipers and brake pads. The master cylinders are new as well and Kawi bumped up the size of the rear disc, too. ABS comes standard on both versions while the bike is shod in different rubber in the form of a set of Dunlop Sportsmax D222 tires.

The fresh styling starts with a new cowling and twin side-by-side headlights that replace the former stacked set. The new design of the front fairing includes a chin spoiler under the headlights to create more downforce at higher speeds and air passages on the side cowling to redirect air around the rider. Kawasaki says the windshield is now almost twice the size as before and can be adjusted up by 2.4-inches sans tools. Footpegs on the 2015 Versys LT/ABS are 15mm lower and 20mm further forward in comparison to last yearÂ’s model. The tail has been tweaked as well and outfitted with a new LED taillight.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS Specifications
    Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder parallel twin
    Displacement: 649cc
    Bore x stroke: 83 x 60mm
    Compression ratio: 10.8:1
    Cooling: Liquid
    Fuel injection: DFI with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies
    Ignition: TCBI with electronic advance
    Transmission: Six-speed with positive neutral finder
    Final drive: Sealed chain
    Frame: Double pipe diamond frame constructed from high-tensile steel
    Rake / trail: 25 degrees / 4.3 in.
    Wheelbase: 55.7 in.
    Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork with stepless adjustable rebound and preload / 5.9 in.
    Rear suspension / wheel travel: Single offset laydown shock with remote adjustable spring preload / 5.7 in.
    Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
    Rear tire: 160/60 ZR17
    Front brake: Dual 300mm petal-style rotors with two-piston calipers and ABS
    Rear brake: Single 250mm petal-style rotor with single-piston caliper and ABS
    Overall length: 85.2 in.
    Overall width: 33.1 in.
    Overall height: 55.1 in. (windshield low) / 57.1 in. (windshield raised)
    Seat height: 33.1 in.
    Curb weight: 476 lbs.
    Fuel capacity: 5.5 gal.
    Colors: Candy Lime Green, Pearl Stardust White
    MSRP: $TBD
    Warranty: 12 months
    Optional Kawasaki Protection Plus: 12, 24, 36, and 48-month plans are available
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
  11. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe the 12V is standard on the LT.
  12. mcmann

Oddometer:
    It is listed as an accessory . . . To be installed on the dash . . . Via a knock-out.
    The LT only gets hand guards & hard bags extra ($700).

See accessories below: "There is also an optional LED Light Bar, a 12v DC Outlet to power electronics"

[​IMG]

The Kawasaki Genuine Accessories program is available at authorized Kawasaki dealers. The range of options includes KQRTM (Kawasaki Quick Release) 28-liter Hard Saddlebags with the Kawasaki One Key system, as well as a new KQR 47-liter Top Case (with the same One Key system), which can accommodate two full-face helmets and can be used alone or with saddlebags. There is also an optional LED Light Bar, a 12v DC Outlet to power electronics, Grip Heaters, a low Gel Seat, Tank Bag, Knee Pads, Frame Sliders, Windshield and a Gear Position Indicator, to name some of the items offered as Kawasaki Genuine Accessories.

13. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. Standard on the 1K.
  14. Jeephoto

Oddometer:
    I have my dealer preparing a quote for a V650LT with accessories.
    I'm planning on adding the low gel seat, windshield, 12V outlet (for my GPS), and maybe the Top Case.

Hopefully I will know a price in a day or two.

This is going to make a great Christmas gift to myself. :clap
  15. mcmann

Oddometer:
    You will have to change your signature "All roads . . . Two Bikes"

It might pay to check around and get several quotes. Some dealers do not have add-on fees like freight, set-up & document etc. Most set-ups only involve uncrating, installing front wheel, battery, mirrors, & windscreen.

Keep us posted
  16. Jeephoto

Oddometer:
    Actually, as soon as I get the Versys, the KLR goes up for sale.
    The money will go to buying something like a Super Sherpa 250 for dirt duty.

I decided that the "KiLleR 650" is good for most everything, but I would be best suited to a Touring/Commuter bike (V650LT) and a 250 dirt bike.

So, the "All Roads...Two Bikes" still fits. :D
  17. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest you wait on the gel seat until you a) have tried the OEM and b) test-ride a gel seat. My limited experience is that factory gel seats suck as much as the one you are looking to improve. I'd try the original then go aftermarket if you don't like it. Seat Concepts is the low-cost option, and they'll offer a low seat soon enough.
  18. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic with a different screen and an accessory on the dash:

[​IMG]
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    The pic I was waiting for.

Finally.

Interesting location of gear indicator. I like it. Out of the way of tbe center dash for a quick glance.

Again, i like the large tach.
    Really looking forward to youtube reviews.:clap
  20. Jeephoto

Oddometer:
    I just noticed on the main Kawasaki website, that the '15 Versys 650 LT Accessories has a web page; yesterday it didn't.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Vehicle/2015-VERSYS-650-LT

It appears that there is nothing on the page yet, but they are working on it. :clap

My dealer has been talking to his Accessories person trying to find out pricing on the accessories I want. But apparently the information is still sketchy.
    She didn't know anything about the Low Gel Seat or Windshield in her info, but I know these have been talked about here and on other sites.

The waiting is killing me. :ddog