2015-on Versys 650 (LT/ABS)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mcmann, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Mr Maggo

Mr Maggo n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes thanks Navin I will do that.
    Navin likes this.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    This difference has been present since 2006 when the engine first made its debut. I believe the difference can be attributed to meeting emission related criteria.
  3. freeway crash

freeway crash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m looking really hard at the Verseys as a replacement for my aging V Strom....headed to the dealership tomorrow
    BlueRidgeKat likes this.
  4. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    OK so I am thinking about joining the cult of the Versys soon, and I am looking at two highly-farkled options:
    1) 2012 Gen 2 KLE650, 50 miles from me, $4k
    2) fly-and-ride out to Houston, TX, where someone is selling a Gen 3 LT for $4700 (I finish vaccination in 3 weeks' time). only weird catch beyond the distance is, the bike has been lowered, and I have no idea what quirks that brings on this bike

so assuming a flight from Virginia to Texas is somewhere on the order of $300, basically, I suppose I'm asking if the Gen 3 LT is $1k, a few vacation days, and a whole-ass road trip better than the Gen 2?
  6. freeway crash

Oddometer:
    No help on which one to pick as I’m still deciding on making the jump myself. As a former Houstonian all I can say is that it’s a crazy town with lots of traffic. Great Tex-mex food! Good luck
  7. freeway crash

Oddometer:
    5A8E60FE-6ACC-4911-8675-0EBB66D2DF32.jpeg Well, I bought one......2017
    Matt-J2, Motonirvana and alekkas like this.
  8. mr.awesome

mr.awesome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! You've had it a few days now, what are your impressions of it?
  9. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    The longer I have this Versys the more I realize what a sweet spot it is in a bike. Twisty roads check. Ride across country check. Good MPG and 87 octane with low maintenance check. I hope they don’t mess it up in Gen 4.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  10. freeway crash

Oddometer:
    9E5B680D-641C-4422-BFAA-085D4DE274DB.jpeg Had the chance to put some more miles on the “new to me” Versys. I enjoyed the ride but was surprised that the VStrom seemed to be quicker from the start with more low end grunt. The Versys is way more agile and I loved throwing it to turns. The adjustable stock screen was no match for the larger Givi screen, but that’s an upgrade I’ll quickly make.

I still need a few more rides to fully appreciate what it can do, but as of now I’m very happy with the purchase.

9E5B680D-641C-4422-BFAA-085D4DE274DB.jpeg
    BlueRidgeKat and Motonirvana like this.
  11. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy. It certainly livens up in the higher revs!
  12. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at a 17 650 tomorrow with 12k and trading the Guzzi Stelvio. Fun bike but unlike my Kaw's it always needs something. Had a ZG1000 new in 98 and have a 16 Z800 for track work. The Guzzi was fun but there is a lot to be said for simple and light weight and I like Kawasaki anyways.
    Let you know Saturday
    Motonirvana and alekkas like this.
  13. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in my Kawasaki OEM service manual? I bought it when I owned a 2015 650 LT. It's in a large ring binder so you can pull out the page(s) you need for a particular job. It's as new. PM me.
  14. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Done deal !

Attached Files:

Motonirvana likes this.
  15. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I also had a orange MG Stelvio same as yours. Great bike but something was alway's in need of fiddling. Never left me stranded but enough with my super limited weekend time that I'd rather be riding and not maintaining at this point in my life. I may revisit if that situation changes as the MG's are fun bikes. By fiddly I mean, valve checks, despite being easy are every 6000 miles which isn't much fun IMO in a campground on a long trip. Exhaust gaskets that spit out after 15k miles, stuff like that.

My Versys now has the same mileage as the Stelvio when I traded it and i've had to slightly snug the shifter lever connection. And chains, the stock vp2 is terrible so if your going long distance bring a replacement or swap it from the start. It went out at 9k miles and a second one at 5k miles. I've got a cheap EK SRO6 and it's already passed the mileage on both with no issues.

Versys imo handles better than the Stelvio but isn't as long distance comfy, that bike is a frieght train in wind and it's roomy, but it's heavy. V650 also gets a good 250 miles of range reliably (with .5 left for reserve) vs the 8.5 gallons on the Stelvio being highly variable but still good depending on temperature. That bike would swing from low 30s to mid 40's for MPG depending on conditions while the Versys is basically 50-52 most of the time.

I added a blue sea OLED temp guage on the right aux port and a voltmeter QC 3.0 USB plug on the left to get back that capability that the stelvio had in it's guage cluster.
    Dtx915 likes this.
  16. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yay I got tired of chasing little things.
  17. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Same. Did it feel weirdly cramped for the first hour after the Stelvio? I had that initial impression.

About to add a HD Pan America to my garage, not for me, it's my dad's but I'll have full access to ride it whenever I feel like it. It'll be interesting to see how the HD works out. I just read the mottorradd review in Germany and it's basically very well balanced between the GS/KTM/Ducati options. I'm most interested in Hydraulic Valves that need no adjustment and the lowering suspension that drops the bike at a stop for getting more feet down. It'll be special with the lowering suspension.
    PDarnall and Dtx915 like this.
  18. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Versys had a lowering kit installed, already removed. I still have a Z800 for when I want to go fast. But no more strange motorcycles for this guy.
  19. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday I was out riding my DL650 when I had a thought that it might be time to sell it. Not because, I don't like it. It has been a well loved bike since 2009 and has stayed in the garage while 6 other bikes have rotated through. It is going to be the last non abs street bike I'll own though. I am already about to sell my C14. It is too heavy for my liking. So the thought occured, I should sell the DL650 too. I don't like it on the highway so much as I never got the buffeting fully resolved. I really do ride off road any more and what little forest road exploring I do, I use my Versys-x 300.

First thought was to maybe check out the newer vstrom 1000. But thinking about it, I am a cheap bastard and don't want to have to buy more than regular gas and I do like my bikes lighter. I started thinking about the versus 1000 but I am not into the 18k price tag and super gizmo stuff on the newest one. I also, don't really want that much power. So looking, I came back to the 650 LT. I'd like a smaller size bike than my dl650. More clickable, yeah I like that. That is one of the things I really love about the Versys-x.

So I guess next step is to sell the C14 and the old DL and then go looking.
    Dtx915 likes this.
  20. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    For wind protection I think the DL650 will be pretty similar to the Versys, I've owned both. I can't seem to get any of them to be "good" at wind protection and a pocket of clean air tbh. Nothing like the larger touring bikes. But the lighter weight is very nice, handling, 87 octane, lower cost consumables, more tire life etc make up for that.