2015-on Versys 650 (LT/ABS)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mcmann, Nov 5, 2014.

1. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight. Considering making the same change soon from my old DL650K9 to a newer 650 LT.

About to put the DL up for sale after selling my C14 today. If I end up with the V650 LT, that would make two versys in the garage.
  2. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Rode my new-to-me Versys around 4200 miles at the beginning of last month - picked it up in LA, rode all the way back to Virginia. Can't say too much about the trip yet, since I'm working on the ride report write-up still, but for the bike itself:

- Overall, a fairly brilliant Swiss army knife of a bike, though much like a Swiss army knife it has its limitations with heavy-duty applications, especially when matched with a rider of moderate skill and quarantine-idled physical shape like myself. Reminds me a lot of my Scion tC (basically a Toyota Celica under a different brand name) - not too sporty, not too characterful, not at all luxurious, but also very usable and practical in a wide variety of situations.

Tweaks I see myself making in the near term:
    - Puig windscreen that the seller had was lovely below 65 mph, but I want to get the matching Puig wind splitter to help tidy up the airflow for highway mileage. I don't need this bike to have a perfect GoldWing-grade bubble, but not rattling my head the second a good cross-wind hits would be aces
    - Bike has a really odd imbalanced light pattern at night, and while I know I need a new headlight bulb for the daylight beams, I'd also love to put auxiliary lights on to help boost my confidence there
    - I need to figure out how the suspension (and especially front suspension) properly dials in to a rider of my height and weight. For the rear preload, 8-10 clicks for naked mode, and 15-17ish clicks for touring mode, seems to work fine, but something still feels off and the bike often feels unsettled when the choppy throttle effect kicks in over a bumpy. I can make the entire suspension a little more confident over bumps with the stock springs it'd be infinitely cheaper than sinking money into new suspension.
    - Closer front brake lever and a wristsaver device, ASAP - I need some ergonomic adjustments for wrists' sake, but absolutely do not want one of those mechanical throttle-holding "cruise control" emulators

Bigger long-term adjustments I'd like to make if budget allows down the line:
    - Fueling and gearing are mostly fine above 25 mph, but any lower than can occasionally be frustrating (esp when going uphill or in the very tightest of mountain twisties) due to a weird gap between the 1st and 2nd gears' power bands. ECU tuning could help here, perhaps?
    - Stock seat and footpegs are mostly fine, but if I do plan another trip much over 1000 miles, a better seat and pegs would be lovely
    - Higher quality suspension internals, or even new suspension, but only if I truly see myself keeping this bike longer than 3-5 years
  3. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed GIVI crash bars and lights but the lights draw to many AMP's so I went with Matt Gecko LED's and the draw went from 14.36 to 14.27 with grips/nav/lights on so no problems with that.
    So GIVI guards, T-Rex rack and lower pegs, Corbin saddle, Garmin XT, Gecko lights and my old KTM trunk. The bike is super fun and I'm enjoying myself.
    IMG_20210621_110028149.jpg IMG_20210505_175327995.jpg IMG_20210503_151810354 (1).jpg IMG_20210414_170112825.jpg IMG_20210405_152141730_HDR.jpg

Well see you out on the road.
  4. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    forgot the rack
    IMG_20210403_070047654.jpg
    V0R2G0 and Motonirvana like this.