2015-on Versys 650 (LT/ABS)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mcmann, Nov 5, 2014.

1. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    They make lowering links for the rear, lower seats, drop the forks an inch in the triple clamps, buy some thick sole boots . . . Or, tippy toe the bike at stops. Where there is a will . . . There is a way.
  2. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    My 2009 Versys was a little buzzy with vibes in the bars and seat and pegs....not too bad but I like the direction Kawasaki has gone in this department...they have rubber motor mounts now in the front and rear of the frame...along with rubber handlebar mounts...I don't know how you make a stressed engine mount design for a frame with rubber mounts but I guess it can be done...This bike is calling me...again :lol3 [​IMG]
  3. xcsp

xcsp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A test ride on the new '15 looks to be in your future :nod

I might even have to take one for a spin, local shop has Kawasaki & Yamaha so a ride on the Versys & an FJ-09 hopefully.
  4. mcmann

Oddometer:
    For comparison . . . I think the -09 is a little high on price (IMHO)
    Some screen shots from a FJ-09 video:

http://youtu.be/Qq0Win0m_tk

[​IMG]
  5. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    When is the new Versys expected to hit showrooms?

I did sit on both the new 650 and the 1000 and to me the 650 was narrow and much more nimble feeling. I like the upright riding position, it didn't feel like it needed much to make it a great tourer. My question is......how is it for two up riding or longer trips? I was told the new bike had the engine mounted with different attachments compared to the old bike to make it feel much smoother on the road (I can't confirm if this is true or not).

Anyway, I was much more impressed with the 650 then I thought I would be. I do want to see the FJ-09 when it comes out, both look like great looking long distant inexpensive bikes.
  6. mcmann

Oddometer:
    They should be available mid to late Dec.

Two up should be fine for average size riders. Not as much room as the Wee2. The rubber mounted handlebars should help with vibration too.

We are all looking forward to real world ride reports.

Note: The Dealer Inventory screen is wrong. It shows dealer orders as "In Stock"

http://www.kawasaki.com/ShoppingTools/ViewInventory/2015-VERSYS-650-LT

7. xcsp

xcsp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MSRP maybe, but if it can be had for around $9k as some dealers are saying, that'll get people in the door.

Haven't really looked at Kawasaki bikes closely lately but Yamaha has very nice fit & finish. From the pics of the new Versys, Kawasaki seems to be going in the right direction.
  8. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

• asd.JPG
      asd.JPG
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
  9. mcmann

Oddometer:
    The 650 LT is a new model: only 2015 model year
  10. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're system is still only searching for Versys 650s. I ran into the same problem.
  11. xcsp

xcsp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe they're hoping people don't see the 2015 model to clear out the '14's?
  12. mcmann

Oddometer:
    In this case (for my zip code), the Dealer Locator is specific to the '15 650 LT model. It includes info from dealers that have placed a stocking order for the '15 650 LT.

It only shows this specific model when requesting a quote. Some Web Master genius idea to get the bikes sold before they are even shipped by the factory etc.

I would prefer accurate info . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Jeephoto

Jeephoto Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer:
    I just got word of a pretty good deal on a Triumph Tiger 1050, which is one of the bikes I've been in love with since I test rode one.

I'm wondering if the Tiger would be the better "step up" from my KLR650 than the Versys 650.

Any thoughts or opinions to give me something to think about?

Meanwhile, I'll continue waiting on the Kawasaki dealership to get in a Versys 650 LT.
  14. EddyB

EddyB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess tiger is better touring bike and versys is better around town bike. Depends on what you are planning to do.

I am really reluctant to start my liter bike for anything less than 20 miles. Heavy and big bike is not a bike that you just hop on to. If that makes sense.
  15. xcsp

xcsp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Tiger Sport from'13-up wasn't available in the United States-too bad for us as they made some nice improvements.
  16. JDoe

JDoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody knows why the candy lime green color is not available in Europe?
  17. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like this bike, but it needs to lose a few pounds! Waiting to see what Yamaha can come up with for the FZ-07 motor?! :evil
  18. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I was hoping they'd make the changes they did (and maybe a few more), while losing a good hunk of weight. I'm getting pickier and pickier as new bike prices continue to climb.
  19. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Better fairing, tank capacity, mpg, wind screen, suspension, brakes, better comfort/ergonomics, less vibration, more power/new exhaust, beafier frame for luggage and a trunk . . . Better looks . . . Same price as '14. Only $700 add for hand guards and matching integrated hard bags that do not require a rack. The built-in hard bags rack brackets contribute to the weight a bit.

I bet it handles the extra weight quite well. We will see . . . Hard to make all these improvements and not gain weight . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Trayvessio

Trayvessio Super Strom Trooper

Oddometer:
    I went to the motorcycle show yesterday and sat on the 650 LT. It was pretty nice. The green looks great, and the hand guards are actually made out of a metal (a big step up from the plastic hand guards on my 08 DL650). I still can't figure out how people comfortably get on a motorcycle with both panniers and a top box.

Here is the price list of the options:

[​IMG]