2015-on Versys 650 (LT/ABS)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mcmann, Nov 5, 2014.

1. JDoe

JDoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very simple.
    Most people get on their bike like they would get on a horse:
    [​IMG]

The "trick" is simply to bend your knee and straighen your leg AFTER your knee is positioned behind the seat. This also works for tall bikes.

Anyway does anybody know when can we expect any reviews? In Europe the Versys should be available mid-December but my dealer told me they will have one for display by the end of the month.

I had 3 year break from motorcycles and am looking to get back into the saddle and I LOVE the new look of the Versys so it's my #1 choice right now.

I LOVE! the withe one, but would also like the Green one which is not availavle in Europe :(
  2. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    For those who don't like to swing a leg climbing on works well for me with boxes.
    Step on foot peg then right knee to the seat and plop drop on.Works great.
    Be sure and hold front brake lever when doing.
  3. Jeephoto

Jeephoto Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that. I look forward to seeing the bike and sitting it. I'm still curious about a low seat option.

I think I'm set on the Versys 650 LT, but I am tempted by the Tiger 1050 and FJ09.
  4. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may be able to drop the stock seat 1/2" by removing the rubber dampers between the seat pan and the frame . . . Which will cause a bit more buzzy-ness in the seat.

You could pull the seat cover back and shave some foam off the bottom too (between the seat pan and the bottom of the foam cushion . . . to maintain the seat shape.

Raising the forks in the triple clamps 1/2" will help a bit too. Backing off the preload on the rear shock will drop the back . . . (Check your chain tension when adjusting the preload).

Lowering kits would be the next option:

http://www.shop.motowerk.com/WR-Lowering-Kit-for-Versys-KV-LK-WR-R2.htm
  5. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Good to know the hand guards are worth it.

Looks like good value with the LT.

Riders will just drop their MC nice and easy like and break the flimsy plastic. Saw this with a Wee2.

-----
    I would go 12 volt and that would be it. I would duck tap a soft bag on the back and not worry about the rear top case.:1drink

-----
    mcmann,
    Thanks for the suspension pics and description.:clap

Lastly, how ard would it be to remove the rear seat. Would like a flat surface area to strap down gear.
    IMO, the narrow length of the MC begs to be ridden solo on a epic tour.
  6. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Always glad to help bro,

The seat looks very similar to the previous seats . . . Which are one base pan (rider/passenger).

You could pull the cover back from the back of the bike seat and flatten out the foam etc. . . . Flatter base for a duffle bag . . .

You should be able to tie down gear over the stock passenger seat with ROK Straps etc. You may regret trying to cut seat foam . . . The cut marks in the foam will show through the cover . . . Ask me how I know . . .

7. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    This might be a stupid question but do any of you fine Kawi folks ride two up on a KLR? I'm looking at both a KLR and this new Versys. I know for road use the Versys for two up will be fine but I also know I'll off road it enough that it might not like it :D Any thoughts? I have a 630 Husky for the crazy stuff but kinda want something thats flexible for different riding conditions.
  8. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no experience with the new Versys, however, I can tell you based on being a former V-Strom 650 owner, that a 500lb bike with a high center of gravity & street-ish tires is a handful off-road. I doubt the Versys is better than the Strom, with its 17" front wheel.

I went from 1 "dual purpose" to a dedicated street bike and a lighter dual-sport, and it was much more pleasant. You already have the Husky, so the Versys looks like a fine stable-mate, but I wouldn't assume it has any off-road capability (beyond what any other moto has).

The Versys LT looks like something I should own, one day.
  9. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    That's how I feel about my 2nd gen Versys.

Yeah it's easy to mount crash bars which might make the dirt naps less of a problem than many other street bikes, and yeah there's more clearance than some. Also bash guards are available. But it's all street bike.

Despite it being a bit bigger and heavier, I'd expect the Wee to be a better dual-purpose bike.

People have changed the Versys front tire to a 17" rear dual purpose tire they claim has similar diameter to a 19". I expect that would help in dirt. Others have gone to a 19" front wheel.
  10. mcmann

Oddometer:
    As mentioned earlier . . . Adding a 19" front to a bike designed with a 17" upsets the steering geometry. You have to offset the front with a taller rear . . . which makes a tall bike . . . Very tall. I tried it . . . Definitely absorbed bumps better . . . Wouldn't do it again:

[​IMG]
  11. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had both bikes and still have the KLR. It does not work very well 2-up, unless it's medium sized folks, at best. There's just not much room on the seat. The engine and the suspension will do okay, and even the weak brakes will survive as long as you're aware of their relative weakness to start w/. The biggest problem for large(r) folks is the passenger tends to end up sitting at least partially up on the edge of the rear rack. Not very comfortable from my wife's reports...Otherwise, we used to do it when we were...trimmer.
  12. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the input cls, mcmann, jon_I. I have heard the V-Strom is a great street offroad-ish bike (I went to the Touratech Rally earlier this year and our ride leader was on a V-Strom.......and he was a badass). Personally the look of the V-Strom doesn't do a thing for me, I like this Vers650 much better. I guess I'm not sure if I want to get more of a street bike or more of a dual sport.......I like the price of the KLR but to be fair the price of this new Versys is FANTASTIC for what you get. I'll have to test ride one to be sure.

As for riding a 500lbs gorilla off-road.....I just sold a 1200GS with 55,000 miles with a good 25% of it off-road.........glad that's OVER WITH!!!:lol3 I'll take the husky thank you very much, it's a bit of a relic but aside from being an old tech hammer it just tic's along at 70mph on desert roads.
  13. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Plan B: The NC700X has good low end torque and low center of gravity . . . For two up riding and off road:

[​IMG]
  14. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
    But do you really want an NC700X ???:huh
  15. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    Cool!

For me this borders on too much new Africa Twin.......which is due out in late 2015.
  16. Motard_Menace

Motard_Menace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked out this new Versy and the FJ9 at the Phoenix IMS show. I was pumped to see the FJ9 in person and once I did, it was kind of blah. Seems nice and all but just didn't do much for me. I'm sure it's going to be a good bike but that was my first impression anyway. I wasn't even thinking about the Versy when we walked up on the Kawi display and when I saw it, it drew me in. Checked it out, sat on it and thought wow fits me like a glove ergonomically. Fit and finish looked pretty good. Not sure I am even in the market since my Tiger 1050 does just fine for now but if I was, I would give the Versy a hard look. My only fear is that it will be underwhelming on grunt when compared to the Tiger. IMHO I think these will sell like wildfire for Kawi though.....lots of bang for the buck.
  17. mcmann

Oddometer:
    The 1050 may be a better choice for two-up riding. I think you would be surprised with the power 1 up. Just ride it more aggressively. The increased mpg is a big benefit when daily commuting.

You really can not compare a 650cc hp with a 1000cc hp . . . Different class.

The new design and improvements make the Versys 650 LT a nice choice for Everyday riding . . .

So many Mid-Size Bike choices: Adventure/Touring Style Bikes

Examples (no particular order):
    Versys 650: Sporty Adventure/Touring Style with reasonable integrated bags
    Wee2 650: Adventure/Touring Style with longer wheelbase and 19" front
    NC700X: Adventure/Touring Style with lower COG and diesel-like torque
    FJ-09: Adventure/Touring Style Triple . . . with an attitude
    Tiger 800XR: Adventure/Touring Style Triple . . . Now with cruise control (XRx)

18. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went from a Tiger 1050 to a Versys back in '08. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, myself. FWIW...
  19. Motard_Menace

Motard_Menace Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Interesting. I am a bike slut so no bias but I love torque. Might have to see if I can score a ride on one somewhere. I'm sure it is no slouch. Thx
  20. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am, as well. The Tiger has more power, hands down, obviously. However, the lighter weight, lower c.o.g., narrowness, fuel efficiency, value, and ease of ownership swung me to the Versys. The power delivery and character is great, especially for a 650. It bubbles up efortless torque from right off idle on just a whiff of throttle...If you like such things.