2015-on Versys 650 (LT/ABS)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mcmann, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Motard_Menace

Motard_Menace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Umm Yes.....:clap
  2. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    DIfferent class doesn't matter: You have to compare them--to decide which to buy or ride. I do it every time I decide which bike to ride. And honestly the decision is rarely if ever about the engine. Even my decision to do my 2-up riding on my 1000 wasn't about more power. It had more to do with more room, and a more comfortable pillion seat.
  3. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I'm curious why.

I've only had a demo ride on the Tiger 1050, and I loved it. I have 52k miles on a Versys 650 and I love that too. Had a nice used Tiger 1050 been on the market when I bought the Versys new I might have bought that instead--though for the riding I've done since then the Versys has been a good choice.
  4. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good point (I was talking about hp etc). I do the same thing. I am liking the 800 cc range (best of both worlds) . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fair question. First off, you have to understand I switch bikes like socks...except I don't buy socks nearly that often. The Tiger was great, but it's top-heavy, wide between the knees, and, heaven forbid, I've learned I'm just NOT a triple fan. I find them imminently practical and about the perfect street engine. OTOH, I find them boring and I don't like the sound. I also had to upgrade the suspension fairly immediately on the Tiger.

The Versys is much lighter, more nimble, more efficient, less expensive, and, again, that torquey twin delivery. Yes, the Tiger will leave it for dead. However, just running around town, the power pulses are very strong, effortless, and...full of character; comforting, even. And there's a Kawi dealer about 5 minutes from my house, as if the V ever needed anything but gas, pretty much. Another big point to the Kawi...in my book.

All that analysis aside, it's personal preference more than anything.
  6. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    For those of you who have ridden them, how would you compare the vibration of the V650LT, Wee2, and FJ09/FZ09? I'm mostly curious about vibes in the grips, pegs and saddle causing fatigue or problems when using the bikes for longer distances.
  7. mcmann

Oddometer:
    The new 650 LT (and FJ-09) is not available to test ride yet. The 650 LT is marketed as less engine and bar vibration due to rubber isolation etc.

I hope to know first hand by the end of Dec. The Wee2 and FZ-09 is very smooth. The previous Versys was a bit buzzy in the bars and seat. Foam grips and a sheep skin pad worked wonders on making it a long distance bike like the Wee.

[​IMG]

8. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    You had a gen 1 or gen 2? My gen 2 isn't buzzy, and it has some rubber engine mounting. I've had bikes that were buzzy (including a gen 1 EX650, with a higher compression version of the same engine and no rubber mounting, I think both of which contribute to the buzz).
  9. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I'll be curious to hear your impression.
  10. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Yes, from 2010, the Versys 650 w/rubber engine mounts had less vibration than previous years.

I had the gen 1 (w/out rubber engine mounts). I understand the '15 has new improved rubber engine mounts to further reduce engine vibes. Plus, rubber isolation in the handlebars:

"A revised upper triple-clamp has also been added for 2015. It has a rubber-mounted handlebar, which helps to reduce vibration for the rider. The rubber collars tame vibration while new rubber pads control movement fore and aft."

All motorcycles have some vibration in the handlebars. The harmonics are different for each rider. Gel or foam grips, risers/anti-vibe risers, and bar end weights help most riders.

Vibranators & bar snakes are available too. Some riders fill their handlebars with bb's or with rubber butyl sealer from a caulking tube/gun to help dampen the bars.

Some riders have used EPDM Rubber Tie-Down/Bungee Cords in place of a handlebar top support to help dampen vibration between the bars etc. I wish I had tried that with my KTM twins . . .

There are rubber isolation handlebars (Flexx Handlebar) available too in the after market.

Many Versys riders use Motowerk risers to help reduce vibration in the bars:
    http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Anti-vibration-Handlebar-Riser-Versys-KV-ANVB-HB-RS.htm

Another sample:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rox-anti-vibration-elite-2-pivot-risers

Plan B: modify mountain bike ergonomic grips to work on a motorcycle throttle (enlarge opening). A wider/flatter grip may spread the weigh on your hands better to improve blood flow . . . maybe . . .

http://www.rei.com/product/873074/e...389950680&msid=Z3NEQSXv_dt|pcrid|64530462640|

Bottom line . . . Once you find handlebars & risers that fit your natural relaxed hand angle (high enough to reduce the body/hand weight on the bars) . . . wear loose fitting gloves (w/gel palm inserts if needed) to improve blood circulation and make a special effort to relax your grip . . . Maybe ride thumbless when possible on long trips. You may have to buy longer brake lines for taller riders . . . When using risers etc.

In my crotch rocket days . . . (Before gel-palm gloves), I would cut gel insoles to fit my loose fitting glove palms to reduce vibration in my hands. Too bad I didn't patent the idea 25 years ago :-)

Wooops . . . Sorry . . . Didn't mean to make this a Handlebar vibration thread . . .

11. xcsp

xcsp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem, we have time until the ride reviews are available!
  12. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The versys' parallel twin will vibrate more than the triple or v twin.

I never noticed it a problem in the few hours I enjoyed riding a gen 1. But then, I have owned (and prefer) I4's that others also find too vibey. So, in the end, probably like anything else -- it depends.
  13. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Here is a good video explaining crossplane crankshaft technology.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oEXUrO5wYcE

I would like to see an 800 cc parallel twin Versys (same size and weight as the 650), pistons offset 90 degrees to mimic a 90 degree V Twin. Smooths out the inertial torque which puts smoother power to the rear wheel . . . and reduces engine vibration.

My Wee2 made me a believer in a 90 degree power source. I am sure the new 650 Versys will be plenty smooth . . . just like to see it bumped up to an 800 . . . which would increase vibration with a 180 degree crankshaft etc.

Yes, the 650 will have plenty power . . . just thinking out loud . . . while we wait for real world test ride reports. I have found that 650 cc offer good power . . . just have to get on the throttle more when compared to 800 cc larger.

[​IMG]
  14. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arent u basically describing an fj9?
  15. mcmann

Oddometer:
    I prefer a twin . . . . More low end torque. If the FJ had the FZ-07 engine . . . It would be nice.

The Versy has much better pricing than the FJ . . . Especially when adding factory hard bags etc.

Plus, I already have a FJ Wannabe . . . That weighs 48 lbs. Less and was only $8K OTD . . .
    The triple is a thrilling engine for sure . . .

[​IMG]

I would have kept my CB5X . . . If it had a little more beans . . . like the V or FZ:

[​IMG]
  16. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I called for an 800 cc, high-end Versys a long time ago in some thread or another. That would be very sweet. Lose some weight and throw in some quality components while they're in there. I'm all in.
  17. mcmann

Oddometer:
    How would you compare the FZ-07 crossplane power with the 650 Versys power etc?
  18. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI The FZ-09 has 120 degree offsets.
  19. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since the new Versys is supposed to have a noticeable power increase, I think we'll need to wait and see on it. I would guess that it should be close to the Ninja 650 in output. Which means it should be pretty close to the FZ-07 judging by these dyno charts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Phipsd likes this.
  20. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Woops . . . Thank you for the correction. I like the low rpm higher torque on the FZ-07 . . .