2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC vs BMW S 1000 XR?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Nov 8, 2018.

1. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    My current ride is a '15 TEX I bought as new old stock in 2016. It's a fine bike but if I keep riding, in the next year or so I think I'd like something new/different.

I'm looking at the BMW website and the S 1000 XR is cataloged as an "Adventure bike." It has chain drive (my TEX is shaft) and is upwards around 160 hp (the TEX: ~140 hp).

How is the new BMW line? More reliable than the predecessors? Opinions?
  2. rockitcity

rockitcity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode an S 1000 XR before getting my 2013 TEX. The inline four in the BMW is much more sport-bike in character. High revs, a bit buzzy. Not as much low end torque. So it might depend on your riding style as to whether you like it. I have come to really like the shaft drive of the TEX, so there is the chain maintenance factor. BMW is usually pretty good about test rides, so go check one out.
  3. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought as much. BMW has it cataloged in the adventure genre which is why I asked. But it's about 100 pounds lighter than the TEX which makes it interesting. I'll likely check it out.