2015 Versys 650

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by DarrenVS, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Shivanshu

Shivanshu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello friends I would like to know how is the bike overall. Riding on dirt roads and reliability factor. I live in India, and tour in hills - Himalayas basically. At times their is tarmac roads at times their are none. And I like to go to those isolated places where tarmac roads are basically a blessing. So was thinking about Versys 650 but did not get a good response from few people. But I think ADV is where I will get my answers.
  2. spconley

spconley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd also like information on the vibration/buzziness of the 2015 model, especially from someone who owned an earlier generation versys? I owned a 2008 and the vibrations and buzziness put me off and I quickly sold it. I've read the 2015's are rubber mounted, but I'm curious how effective it is in isolating vibration and if the fit and finish is any better in regards to minimizng buzz in the plastic panels and dash?
  3. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You really have to make an honest decision based on your needs.

I have been a proponent of the Versys 650 for years. I have owned one since the summer of 2009 and have ridden mine on well over a thousand miles of gravel. My little Versys has crossed Labrador twice. It will handle smooth graded gravel fine, in fact it handles it well. It has just enough suspension travel to smooth out a smooth gravel road, (if that makes sense) while providing kick-ass tarmac ride. The 2008 – 2014 are very industrial looking, and have a modest aftermarket support for things like skidplates and crashbars. But it is FAR from an off-road machine. The Versys fits in the category of “Adventure Sport”.

[​IMG]

With the feeling I am getting from your needs Shivanshu, you might decide on something that might get you through that washout, or flooded ATV trail, get you over the odd boulder that blocks a narrow single-track. If this is the case, something like a CRF250L or a KLR250 or if you budget can handle it, a 690 Enduro.

JM
    Kawidad and Shivanshu like this.
  4. Shivanshu

Oddometer:
    You actually stole my thought, even down bottom at my heart a 250cc like Honda, Yamaha or even Kawasaki would be good. 690 Enduro is something which is there in my mind but currently not sold out here. So lets see. And yes thanks for the honest opinion.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    there is another ADV inmate from India riding a custom ER6F (EX650) in conditions as you describe. if he can go those places with a sportbike, you should be able to do it on a Versys.
  6. Shivanshu

Oddometer:
    Is it? Wow would like to get his inputs before I go for the buy.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    try this inmate...pretty sure he's from your area. late model ER6F, Kawasaki green, with some mods for travel.

nononsense4857

8. Shivanshu

Oddometer:
    Checked his profile he was last active in June, dropped him a message lets see. Though thanks for the information/
  9. quattrokim

quattrokim n00b

Oddometer:
    Just upgraded from a 2012 Versys to the 2015 Versys and they have fixed the vibration issue. And even better, the brakes are much better also.
  10. DarrenVS

DarrenVS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done around 800 miles now, and got to ride 200 miles on New Year's Eve on mix of country roads and then 80 miles on the highway. I can tell you that the vibration issue no longer exists. It's a parallel twin so there will always be vibration, but I got back from the highway run back home with no loss of sensation in my fingers, which I would've had on my 2010 bike.
    Sat at 85-90 mph for most of the last 80 miles with no issues other than a strong side wind blowing the bike pretty close to the guard rail.
    The Motowerks foot peg lowering blocks have relieved my knee issues. The standard peg position on the mark 3 is lower and more forward than the mark 2. Suits my legs for sure
    aemacleod likes this.
  11. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    When My brother had his first gen Versys and I had my first gen V-Strom 1000, I asked him how he liked the V1? " My Versys is more fun " He was right. Of course the 1000 had it's good points for distance; but now it looks like the new Versys will be a great light touring bike.

Of all the bikes I sat on at the bike show; I liked the new Versys the best. I love my new V2, but what a deal that 650 is!!!!
    aemacleod likes this.
  12. Psalm11_6

Psalm11_6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So how are things going at this point? I assume you've gotten several thousand miles in the seat at this point. I'm ticking near 40k on my first gent that I've had since mid-08 and the only thing that really bugs me (besides the seat quality... BLARGH!!!) is the constant buzzing between 4k and 5250 or so. As a lot of my cruising is in that range, it's one of the things that have bothered me quite a bit over the last 8 years and I was strongly considering the 2016 for the rubber mounts. I also like the LEDs. The 9k MSRP for the LT model is a little off-putting though. Even with my added saddlebags and tailbag (all givi), I'm still well under 7k total and that's with buying the bike brand new for 5900 OTD.
  13. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Look around for a deal. If you are willing to travel you should be able to pick one up for less than MSRP. My 2016 V 650 LT was $1100 off MSRP. They only have a V 1000 left which kind of surprises me since they are a large dealer.

If you can wait until the 2017s come out they should be trying to get rid of the 2016s.

BTW, I have no vibrations between 4K-6K rpms. Actually, I'm quite surprised at how smooth the bike runs at 6K.....like it could do it all day long........and it has........for 850 miles anyway.
    Mike
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    You've had the bike for 8 years and you still haven't fixed the seat? Yes, it's far from perfect, but you can fix it for less then $50 if you and a DIY type of rider. A little more if you have to pay someone to do it for you and it makes a huge difference. As far as I can tell, the seat on the Mk3 has the same issues.

If the Kawasaki parallel twin vibrations bother you, I'd get a test ride on a Mk3 before committing. Yes, the rubber mounts help, but the the characteristic vibration is still there. Hopefully, the damping is good enough to make a difference for you, but I have heard from a lot of new owners that were surprised at how much it vibrated. I thought it was smooth enough, but OTOH, the vibrations on the Mk1 never bothered me... :dunno

Gustavo
  15. Psalm11_6

Psalm11_6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd been riding with alaskan leather sheepskin which helped quite a bit, but it also stops you from being able to stand up on the bike as it then flops all over the place (lol). The seat is just nothing short of terrible for anything over 80 miles. I've done at most 800 miles on this particular bike in a day, but I was creaking and cracking after that. The seat was obviously designed with thrift in mind.

I'm very much a DIY'r, but I've never messed with vinyl before and have been a bit nervous about tearing it up. Tearing down the head, I've got no issues with. Valve adjustments, etc. But anything that seems more artistic than technical I suppose I shy away from. I've really liked the russell saddles for years, but dropping 800-1k for "the perfect seat" is just something I haven't been willing to do :-(
  16. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
  17. Bug Dr.

Oddometer:
    I called Sargent Seats.....problem solved.
    Mike
  18. Psalm11_6

Psalm11_6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gustavo, name sounds familiar. You were on the kawasaki versys forum weren't you?

And thanks for the link!

As to Sargent, I just don't want to be without my seat for any length of time. My bike is my daily driver and there is no backup, so I can't be without a ride for any length of time lol
  19. Bug Dr.

Oddometer:
    Do they not make a Sargent for your year model? I was sent a new seat and still have my old one.......never without a seat.
    Mike
  20. Psalm11_6

Psalm11_6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're right! I'm so used to places needing your pan to get started, I guess I must've just assumed that was the case here. I really like the feel of the day-long saddles, they certainly make 800+ mile days a breeze as far as the butt cheeks go, though the sargent doesn't look like it has quite as much butt displacement and I'm wondering how it'd work out for me longer term now that I look at it again. Any issues on multi-day multiple thousands of mile journeys?