2015 Versys 650

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by DarrenVS, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Not for me. I use an Alaskan Sheepskin pad I've had for almost 10 years. Together they work very well. I know everyone's butt is different.

I've tried Russells on two different bikes and didn't like the wings. They made the ground much farther away. My 30" inseam doesn't need to be farther away than a stock seat provides. I also didn't like the wings while riding on twisty roads.....couldn't move around much. You being from Kansas that might not be an issue.
    Mike
    sinned likes this.
  2. Psalm11_6

Psalm11_6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. I've been using the alaskan leather for several years, but this just flops all over the place when you stand up and still somehow seams to occasionally bunch up any garments I'm wearing underneath the riding pants. Guess I should just commando it or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd typically use the seat on long distance trips out to the coast though, likely slabbing it most of the way. Right now, my butt has a difficult time with long distance with the current seat setup :(

I'm also planning on adding crash bars for highway pegs, so maybe that'll help with the knee/seat adjustments... I just don't know at this point.

Thanks for the feedback!
  3. BigChuck

BigChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get the Seat Concepts... Install it yourself.
    Your butt will thank you.
    [​IMG]
  4. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These Motowerk peg lowering blocks help me at 5'10 ...on my 2013 Versys ..

This puts the pegs in a better place then stock...thanks Speedy.. !:-)

[​IMG]
    Psalm11_6 likes this.
  5. hogmaine

hogmaine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 2016 Orange LT a week ago put 265 miles on her the first day the only complaint is the seat. I raised the front of the seat up with a mod found the Versys forum it helps but still may change seat out. I am looking at http://www.terryscustomseats.com/ Terry will fit the seat to your weight height and inseam.
  6. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used their lowering kit on mine and made it much nicer....also got the side stand foot so you can cut it and install it to make the stand right again after you lower the bike.

Made the bike more friendly.

Last weekend I went and looked at a Tiger XCx and Africa Twin.....the tiger was shorter seat wise then the versys stock.
  7. Psalm11_6

Psalm11_6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'd like the lowering blocks myself. I'm 6' and already have cramping even with the peg lowering blocks from speedy. Definitely looking strongly at seats and highway pegs/crash bars at this point.

The Africa Twin looks pretty amazing IMO. I don't know that I'd swap out the versys for it, but it definitely fills some needs the versys lacks in.
  8. agentmisskitty

agentmisskitty Into the Wild

Oddometer:
  9. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lowering the bike won't change anything about the riding position beyond the reach to the ground... your knee position would stay the same. It does however make it easier to throw a leg over, especially on uneven ground.

The only seat solution that truly worked for me on my '08 was a used RDL. I tried the DIY mods, the Seat Concepts, a cheap bead-rider setup, Alaskan Sheepskin, AirHawk.... all were improvements, but I still found myself thinking about the saddle after 100 miles or so (more like 50 on the stock seat). Since I picked up the RDL, the only time I think about the seat is when I realize I haven't had to think about the seat. YMMV.

EDIT: LOL... just realized I replied to a very old post... oh well, it's still true :rofl

To make up for my lack of attention to detail... here is a kitten on a motorcycle.

c3e07a7d4c5cbcd005bab3ea16995419.jpg