2016 Africa Twin - Center Stand

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Marotte, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Marotte

Marotte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hepco & Becker is making an center stand for the CRF1000L:

upload_2016-2-9_10-53-6.png

Personally I'd rather avoid buying the OEM one. It's probably very good, but Honda should have included in standard.

Do you know of any options from other accessories manufacturers?
  2. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    Stand is standard on OEM and DCT bikes in Australia..
    Balanda likes this.
  3. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Note familiar with Hepco Becker - what's everyone's opinion about their products?
  4. fibbermeister

fibbermeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a H&B Center stand for my NC700XD. It lasts barely a year before the welds gave way at a joint.

There was an awkward pivot moment whenever I attempt to bring the bike onto the hepco Center stand.

Bought the OEM one and it is still going strong. The whole process to bring the bike on to the OEM stand was so much smoother too, just a heave and up it goes.
  5. fibbermeister

fibbermeister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When the joint on that hepco stand gave way, my mechanic looked at the exposed cut away section.

He commented the pipes hepco used for their stand were thinner than Honda oem's.
  6. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    Just got my Honda stand.. seems well made possibly by Givi as it is made in Italy..
    Quite happy with it.. it seems like it will do the job just fine
  7. Full_Tilt

Full_Tilt Always go Full Tilt!

Oddometer:
    I just installed a Hepco Becker stand today and it's nearly impossible to push back. My friend got the OEM stand and it works great. So my direct experience is to do with the Honda stand.
  8. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree . . . very well built . . . easy installation. You will need snap ring pliers . . . you can pry the heavy duty springs on using a loop of wire and large screw driver as a lever:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5131dan likes this.
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    My only experience is the Gobi boxes that KTM used for their 950/990 Adventure models. Those boxes were very tough and clipped into place. I eventually had to put new clips on one side, but they were a very good product. I ordered the Honda center stand. I think center stands are pretty tricky gizmo's to get sized just right so I figured Honda might do it better than an after market products supplier.
  10. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    The OEM center stand is really nice; much less effort to get it up on the stand than others I've encountered, and offers some amount of protection for the suspension linkage. It's also very easy to mount, although stretching the springs is a bear, especially solo. I wound up using a twisted steel cable lock and a long breaker bar levered against the rear tire to get them to fit; traditional spring pullers won't do the trick.
  11. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Got mine on Thursday and installed at work it was a bitch to put the springs on that for sure. And it was 35 c here. I think it put three pounds on the bike but I easily lost three pounds in sweat!
    HondaRon 72 likes this.
  12. itsnotajeep

itsnotajeep Are we there yet?

Oddometer:
    Same here.....spring #1; brake-spring-pliers, easy. Spring #2......not so easy. After fighting for a bit.....I used a large washer and ratchet-strap between the spring and the tractor in my shop and was able to pull it enough to slide in place. A Special-Procedure straight out of the Redneck Handbook! I wish they'd just have shipped with it for US models!:(
    rally roo likes this.
  13. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used brake spring pliers on the two springs of my OEM center stand and had it done in minutes. Guess I got lucky? :dunno
  14. itsnotajeep

itsnotajeep Are we there yet?

Oddometer:
    Damnit! I guess I need new brake spring pliers!:)
    RustySpokes likes this.
  15. motomuchacho

motomuchacho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the OEM center stand with both springs installed using the rubber stops and everything as designed. Like others, I struggled to get the 2nd spring in place even with spring pliers. Stand works well to hold the bike upright. But, on rough terrain or washboarded roads, the stand makes LOUD rattling noises. Anybody have a solution to fix the rattling short of zip ties, rope or wire keeping it cinched tight in the up position? The bike is so awesome in nearly every other way, it'd be great to find a solution that doesn't require halfassery. :hmmmmm
  16. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    mine makes no noise anywhere, and I've been down some pretty rough roads and a lot of washboard.
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Even if Honda included it standard, they'd charge for it. Like they do in the Oz market. Compare what they pay to what you pay stateside. At least people who don't want it don't have to pay for it in the US market.
  18. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    I bought it and I love it! Have no concerns or regrets.
  19. Drum Dog

Drum Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the same and the first spring was easy and the second was a bit harder to get on but not that bad.
    The OEM Honda stand is great and it is super easy to get the bike up. I've done it with flip flops on. :nod
  20. FD919

FD919 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just installed the OEM stand on my bike. Everything went well and like everyone else had a bit of a issue getting the second spring on. Works well and is very easy to get on the stand.
    Drum Dog likes this.