2016 DAKAR "Cliffnotes" (lifeboat)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Do you think they'd be able to put routes together for say 5 years? One or two seems feasible (and would be awesome) but is there enough land to do back to back years for a while? Its a pretty serious $ investment for them to move (making contacts, politics, volunteers, logistics, etc).

Curious what you think as no one seems to know rally raid in North America like you do :thumb
  2. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree w hogwild about at least some portion of it in the USA. Wyoming, some portions of western Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Ca, and Arizona would all be doable. Lots of bureaucracy and red tape (BLM is a f'g nightmare to deal with with permits - no centralized office) otherwise it would be killer, and it is possibly possible. Then down into Mexico too perhaps.

Could be epic, if you ask me...
  3. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Ian on Instagram just now. So awesome... So proud (from just one more spectator). This is what's all about....

https://instagram.com/p/BApiDvyNQdk/

ianblythe. Trying to go fast! Rally bikes are easy to crash. I had a great few stages in this second week of Dakar but when I started pushing I also started having problems. Stage 8 had an oil line wear through but I did a pretty lucky fix where I used JB weld and motion pro tape to hold it together. I managed to fix it in the neutralization and minimize damage, then stage 9 we had a cracked air boot which actually almost ended my race, lost a lot of time and ended what could have been another really good stage. Then I Strung together an 11th and 8th place stage but the next day i dropped the bike while pushing in a long road stage and punctured the tank. I didn't notice it was leaking until I had already lost too much gas and I ran out 15k from the neutralization. Barely held it together the last few days. I am so happy to finish this race, it was everything and more than I could have imagined. It was such a roller coaster, emotionally I have set new highs and lows. I really have to give it up to the team, #rallypanam these guys worked super hard and put forth a huge effort during this race.
  4. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Epic for sure. I still think the aso wants to run it their way, and I'd think in the USA many people would want their piece of the pie. Having said that the aso want a payment and guaranteed security for staff/competitors etc and they'd get that in the US. If they thought it would work I reckon they'd be there already though.
  5. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    In some areas, yes, other areas no. For example Mexico I think would be similar to Argentina. They could use certain very unique ares over and over, like they do in Fiambalá. The huge Altar dunes where we run part of Sonora Rally is ideal, and gives that true Dakar monster dunes experience. There are other desert areas of Mexico that are huge, with roads all over the place where they could run different routes each year. In the States there are limitations in most areas, but there are a few areas where there's enough land to use over and over for a few years before they had to repeat. It's not Africa, that's for sure. But it's not that different from South America.
    BucketHead likes this.
  6. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe the first step is to host a round of the FIM world cross country championship - they had just 1 round in SA last year, which was planned I suppose when Chile was in the picture and was still used as Dakar training, (ok only by a few) but much further to go for a single round than say one in the USA?
  7. ColoWyo

ColoWyo I crash a lot.

Oddometer:
    I don't have much to add, but wanted to say thanks for all your guys updates and work on this thread. Spending a lot of times on airplanes forces me to miss a lot of stuff. This thread was great.

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!
  8. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm just taking a break from lurking to thank all those who made this thread what it was. An astonishing collection of experienced, knowledge, and yes, opinion.

A deep love of off-road motorcycling is what draws me to the Dakar. I've been bto Baja a couple times, but am quite inexperienced at the really world. So, from my VERY American homer viewpoint, a few predictions for the future of America(ns) in the Dakar follow.

Dakar in America- No way. The very thought of even talking to a Frenchman is off the table for any Southwestern government official.
    Americans in trucks or on quads- the curiosity factor isn't high enough to overcome the preparation required or the entry fee.
    Americans in cars- Robby will be back. I saw it in his eyes when he said no way the Peugeot engines were a production item. I'd bet he's already filling out the forms needed to buy a couple Peugeot "production" diesel motors.
    Americans on bikes- Brabec will be back. On a Honda. Looking for stage wins and possibly a podium next year.
  9. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS....an epic f5 event, as usual.[​IMG]
  10. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    HRC Racing

The Dakar Rally: unfinished business for Team HRC
    This report is in the following languages:

The Rally Dakar 2016 is over. Team HRC is packing up to go home with a score still remaining to be settled at the Dakar; one for which the team will go all out to achieve. Now, the data has to be analysed and a year-long project planned, if the team is to capture rally’s top prize next year. The team’s endeavour to accomplish this mission in 2017 begins right away.

The two weeks of racing have ended in Team HRC’s fourth year back in the event, but the entourage will come home disappointed after a bad run of luck put an end to what had appeared to be a promising opening week. The team returns empty-handed, but more resolved than ever to take top honours next time round.

The 2016 edition has been particularly tough on the squad, losing one of the main riders before the rest day and another after having led the rally for three consecutive days. Yet, even after such setbacks, the never-say-die Team HRC attitude prevailed with Dakar rookie Ricky Brabec displaying great promise on his debut. The 24 year old Californian finished ninth overall in addition to having finished runner-up in stage nine.

Paolo Ceci played an important role for the team, coming to the aid of both Paulo Gonçalves and Joan Barreda on separate occasions when they ran into trouble. Paulo had clinched two stage wins, while Joan had won the prologue and would have won the first two stages too, were it not for time penalties incurred for speeding.

A special mention goes out to Team HRC’s great collaborator Honda South America Rally Team, who not only scored a stage victory, but also managed to consistently finish among the rally’s front-runners. Argentinean rookie Kevin Benavides rode to a noteworthy and well-deserved fourth place overall. A bright future beckons for this brilliant young rider.

Frenchman Adrien Metge, also on his maiden Dakar outing, finished the challenge in eleventh overall position. Jean Azevedo and Javier Pizzolito were both forced to retire after heavy falls.
    Team HRC wishes to express its gratitude to all the sponsors and collaborators who have so loyally supported the team through thick and thin. Many thanks also to all the fans who have offered very active support on social media.

Now, all that remains is for the team management to analyse and evaluate what has occurred during the Dakar 2016.
  11. Desert boots

Desert boots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first Dakar in Sth America in 2009, I (IIRC?) they had one stage which travelled south of Buenes Aires.
    [/QUOTE]

That's correct - the first 2 days of 2009 were south of BA.

It is rough country down there - for instance - there were only 2 days on the rally which we spent all day with the support vehicle in 4WD, and one of them was south of the Nuequen bivouac. Looking a map of Argentina - the roads get more and more sparse the further south you go from Nuequen - so I'd say it gets rougher and rougher. i.e. - YES - THE DAKR COULD & SHOULD GO THERE !!
  12. Tomas Kocanda

Tomas Kocanda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ondrej Klymciw (#31) is on the flight at home at special section in the commercial plane.
    By luck happened, that on the same flight was another Czech racer - in the car category - Martin Prokop (quite known young WRC rider). They sent photo from the on board party with Ondrej...

[​IMG]
  13. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    last stage of the Dakar..................

[​IMG]
  14. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The locals really turn out in South America and thats good for local business.
    But it also means more chance for accidents and death of spectators and that is bad from many angles.
    Maybe better support from local police for crowd control and race organization support as well??????
    Less wrc/endouro type stages and more alot more off piste would help some.
  15. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    :deal
    Good and positive for 2016 and 17 then - let's see what turns up in Abu Dhabi, but it does sound like Robbie Gordon wrote this for them! :jack

Ceci certainly fulfilled his job as WC, if to no avail and to remove himself from any contention. If that's the accepted position then great,:deal but it seems to me that once you have lost that initial 30 - 60 mins then you're pissing into a force 10 gale for a podium! But if the WC position and contract works for HRC then also great, but to me it lacks flexibility and innovation - typical of HRC - following, whilst others are pioneering?

I still believe they have 2 competitive front line riders and now perhaps Benevides ( they could have been a little more enthusiastic over his result) and that they did perhaps have some bad luck, and in the Dakar you need a little bit of it; but also in Dakar, 9 times out of 10 times both good and bad luck are man made from one angle or another - HRC have been having it just far to long :hmmmmm:confused: :evil

The bike seems good now - spend the year tidying it up and ensuring its fully maintained and fit for purpose - you've now had over 4 years of practice now!:baldy

Get the riders phsycologically ready for an event equal to a season of cross country rally's in one go.:eekers

Make sure that rabbits foot is attached to Barreda's and Speedy's keys!:D

Can they do it?

Against the KTM line up I really don't believe they can in the current guise - just too much firepower, belief and team spirit within the Austrian set-up! :beer :drink

PS - I certainly couldn't see any other sporting management team being given another chance after the last 4 events!
  16. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    motorsport.com photos from stage 12, all reposted in the Photo F5irehose for your enjoyment.

when i say "all", i mean like 300 photos, almost all from 12. some may have been from 11. who knows at this point. :smile6

#52 - MONTERO IVAN CERVANTES (ESP) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#327 - JAKUB PRZYGONSKI (POL) / ANDREI RUDNITSKI (BLR) [MINI]
    [​IMG]

#323 - HARRY HUNT (GBR) / ANDREAS SCHULZ (DEU) [MINI]
    [​IMG]

#323 - HARRY HUNT (GBR) / ANDREAS SCHULZ (DEU) [MINI]
    [​IMG]

#519 - TERUHITO SUGAWARA (JPN) / HIROYUKI SUGIURA (JPN) [HINO]
    [​IMG]

#47 - KEVIN BENAVIDES (ARG) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]

#32 - PAOLO CECI (ITA) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]
  17. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    motorsport.com photos from stage 13 & finishing podium, all re-posted over in the Photo F5irehose for your easy viewing... well as easy as it is to view 300 photos.

#300 - NASSER AL-ATTIYAH (QAT) / MATTHIEU BAUMEL (FRA) [MINI]
    [​IMG]

#252 - MARCOS PATRONELLI (ARG) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#321 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) / DAVID CASTERA (FRA) [PEUGEOT]
    [​IMG]

#5 - STEFAN SVITKO (SVK) [KTM]
    #3 - TOBY PRICE (AUS) [KTM]
    #4 - PABLO QUINTANILLA (CHL) [HUSQVARNA]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#302 - STEPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA) [PEUGEOT]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#319 - LEEROY POULTER (ZAF) / ROBERT HOWIE (ZAF) [TOYOTA]
    [​IMG]
  18. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    He is still steady and going strong, till all is "Cleaned UP"

WHO, who do you think?

KAIA

when you talk about motivation and perseverance

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

and the photo's are still so good
    watch the story in the detail​
  19. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    for example this one, happy all ? but one man with a concern.
    was it the right of the "LEFT".​

[​IMG]
  20. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Troy,,,,, and as an aside ; please excuse us Ausies ( lot of fun to spell this a different way every time :raindance) here in the F5irehose land but “WE” have a fare bit to celebrate ( thats NOT celebrant !!) ,,,,, thanks Toby, amazing for an “old" "has been" farming Ozi thats been following this thing since 1979 …….. never thought I’d live to see the day.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.