2016 DAKAR "Cliffnotes" (lifeboat)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cvlighthouse

cvlighthouse keep it in your pants!

Oddometer:
    Awesome times everyone! Team F5 has the best seat in the house. Thanks to everyone who contributed and thank you Troy for all the colorful commentary.

We'll see y'all next year!
  2. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  3. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Freedom Rally Racing

Congratulations to the team and much respect to RSConcepts #111 Sylvain Espinasse on his Husqvarna 125te!
    They used ONLY 4 pistons and a motor change on the rest day to finish 83 overall. That's how you get it done on a 2-stroke!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Manuel's GF FB

I've never seen anyone have so much to do and work day and night for a dream.... You're great love, next year, let's get back to win category and stay in the top of absolute
    Translated from Italian
    [​IMG]
  5. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  6. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  7. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to everyone who contributed here. To name just a tiny few: Myway, Mischa, Troy, Kaya, Yardracer, you've been awesome as usual! I couldn't participate much, it was mainly lurking for me this year. But I enjoyed it as well, except when a few got hysterical with the "it's not fair" and "this in not Dakar" thing :D . A few random thoughts:

- It has never been completely fair. Stages got cut every year (and in South America, a lot of them), and that's usually unfair to someone.
    - It is not Dakar, the old guard has been telling you that for a long time. Dakar is the capital of Senegal, far far from South America :D .
    - The race is not what it used to be, it is impossible to keep it as it was. The adventure consisted in traversing empty, deserted terrain. No spectators, no gas stations, no hardware stores for the assistance teams, no GSM/3G, no internet, no Google Earth, no sealed roads for motorhomes... no nothing. Damn it, it was sand all around for hundreds of kms. Literally.
    - Nowadays, to keep it hard they throw in altitude (a lot of it!), Summer in the desert, phony bivouacs... then they figure it is too much and mount oxygen posts, refrigerated trucks at CP's (really??) and throw water from the helos. It is kind of artificial in the sense that it is not a race across the Earth's largest desert with all the challenges that it would encompass, but it is still hard as hell, dangerous and exciting.
    - I understand that the race evolved into a sort of "reality show Dakar" but the difficulty of it is undeniable. It still requires amazing riding skills, navigational capacity, physical strenght/fitness/stamina/endurance/courage. It still shows awesome images, fantastic landscapes. I still like this race.
    - F5 - Not having time to participate, I read every post in here, it still was the nicest way to follow. Exceptions, when I drifted to Twitter: A) Calling Barreda a wuss. Come on guys? His tenacity has been proved. No reason to suspect his reasons for withdrawal weren't legit. B) General French bashing and conspirationism.
    - I bought the Eurosport pass, I am still at Stage 5 :D, will try to continue.
    - Toby Price is an alien. Like the GOAT discussions in MotoGP, the discussion "if the dominating alphas Despres and Coma were still active, would he have shined this way?" is worthless. Showing up and getting a podium on his 1st appearance meant something. Winning at his second attempt (even in the absence of the previous aliens) is a sign of the new order.
    - The portuguese Ruben, Paulo and Helder are not getting younger. If these three start to fade, will a Dakar gold statue ever come this way? Doubt it. As the race fled to South America and economics here being as it's known, sponsorship dried up and new values have not appeared.
    - Gonçalves was sold by the media here as an abnegated Mother Teresa for having stopped to assist Walkner. In a country that elevates soccer players to deities I am very happy that media inaccuracy shines over a true gentleman and sportsman like Gonçalves!
    - HRC. Oh boy...redesigned bike for 2017? Or finding the Dall'Igna of rally racing?
    - Peugeot - like Price, not veni vidi vici but as close as it gets..

See you all at the Bivouac and thanks again!
  8. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Manuel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Corky is auctioning some of his stuff off

[​IMG]

As you're all aware my Dakar dream/obsession is over for the forceable future so I'll be auctioning off my Dakar related items from the last 2 years. Race jackets, fairings, helmet, paddock clothing, competitors items, and any other personal Dakar related stuff that I think may be of interest. The money made will take my 2 boys and girlfriend on holiday. If I only raise £100 - it's Crealy Adventute Park but I'm hoping we can at least go somewhere warm where there's a pool and the sea - even if it's in the tent again. I know I ask for much but I would be grateful if you could share this post for me so these auctions reach interested collectors/bidders. The items will be listed on a weekly basis with the 1st being my vented jacket on the 29th of this month. My eBay ID is 'chriscork' but I will be linking all auction listings here on Facebook as well. Thanks as always, Corky
  10. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  11. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    David Casteu FB

David Casteu: "can't wait to see the next dakar"
    David has finally ranked 18th in the overall ranking of the Dakar 2016. Attached by phone in Argentina, to Rosario the day after arrival, so that he was leaving for Buenos Aires in order to catch his flight to France, it has Answered our questions:
    David, what conclusions dresses you of this dakar?
    I'm ranked 18th (1 + 8 = 9, my number of race)... But, for my 13th Dakar, I'm still a little on my hunger and I can't wait to see the 14th. I know these regions to have rolled on the dakar or on the ruta 40, I see that it's missing at least one more country.
    But yet?
    They did a race for Peugeot, it was of the wrc without navigation. The only time there has been, they cut the offers. It wasn't the dakar that it was necessary to win. The Pilots Rapid '' Baja '' Have managed well, Meo, van beveren have done well. The Sports of aso sucked, they traded three offers. They all felt that it was a dakar of transition. It was a dakar '' Baja '', Not a dakar '' Adventure ''. There were too many connections, and they have slaughtered our bikes.
    Why didn't you couldn't roll out front?
    I put myself in there after the accident of pela (Renet). The fact of stop me and see this young pilot wounded on the track, it broke. After that, I found myself in the dirt of the other, I've struggled to get back.
    Glad your assistance?
    A big thank you to my mechanics gaëtan taligot and Laurent Dupas who have done an amazing job. For them, this is the worst dakar for years, with hundreds of kilometres every day, the cold, very hot, rain, mud. It was the inferno, all the more so because the equipment has suffered a lot.
    A conclusion?
    It must be that aso redefine the word rally raid because there are a lot of unhappy people.
    Your Season 2016?
    She looks very loaded. I have a lot of requests for assistance, pilots, I'll have to take big decisions particularly in logistical. At the end of may, I'll go to Dakar Series in merzouga (Morocco) and then in sardinia.
    Translated from French
    [​IMG]
  12. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    Thanks 'Yardracer', you are helping us back to our real lives without such a bump!
    This post is why I love the F5 crew so much. My favourite piece of insider info of this years Dakar is the 'piston count' for the 125!
    A real Dakar nut may like to know if the 4 pistons included the ones in the original engine and the fresh rest day engine? Not me of course!!! I'm trying to re engage with the family I still have!
  13. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    My house is a certified mess, for those two weeks me putz should be grateful he has clean clothes and the dishes get done......when I run out of room......I have ZERO inclination to fix any of that.......post-Dakar.......SUCKS!!!!!!!:muutt:pep
  14. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops Robby...

15. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Our gal is home

Happy to be home again! Thank you all for this reception!!

Contenta de tornar a casa! Moltes gràcies a tots per aquesta rebuda!!

See Translation
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  17. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
  18. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    From frredom rally racing FB:

Congratulations to the team and much respect to RSConcepts #111 Sylvain Espinasse on his Husqvarna 125te!
    They used ONLY 4 pistons and a motor change on the rest day to finish 83 overall. That's how you get it done on a 2-stroke!!!
  19. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Just watched the 30 minutes Sports Insider Dakar on Eurosport (is showing twice more if interested... at least on the program available to me) with a couple of great insider stories of Manuel and Corky... both very describing and emotional.

A couple of screen shots from Corky's ride at the stage where he is beated by the dunes in the dark...

[​IMG]
    His headlight showing the way uphill :eekers

[​IMG]
    While having a rest and telling about this "monstreous hill climb" to the camera... the parked bike falls over :doh

[​IMG]
    And on the chopper ride back after having spent the night in the desert... felt so sad for him :cry
  20. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    It's here (from earlier on this thread, and on Corky's own "40 year old virgin" thread too)...

Jx
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.