2016 DAKAR "Cliffnotes" (lifeboat)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:

Moved to a bigger device that i can read...:cob showers end 5.45am :pynd
    image.png
  2. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    dakar.com

#113 - As if the Dakar was not hard enough…

He has completed 3 of the last 4 Dakar rallies and he cannot wait to arrive in Salta to meet up with his assistance that for the moment is still broken down in Argentina.

When he arrived at the bivouac in Uyuni at the start of the afternoon Marco Reinike could not have hoped for better. He finished 78th on the stage, rising back to the standards in the rankings which he enjoyed on the Dakar in 2013 (79th) and 2014 (62nd), helping him to forget the withdrawal of 2015. He also finished the marathon stage of this first week with a flourish. Consequently, everything seemed perfect. However, at the bivouac, there was a surprise in store for him: no assistance. “I looked everywhere form them and I finally phoned them: the truck was still in Argentina, broken down due to a damaged rear axle. They couldn't get here, so we'll be meeting up again in Salta…” Marco Reinike, like every dyed-in-the wool Dakar competitor, is the type of person to look for a solution. “I asked if I could join the bikes without assistance category until Salta. I can use the tools made available and oil”. This newcomer to the category does not even have a trunk, meaning he has no personal belongings and no spare tyres… Never mind: the Chilean rider and grandson of a Dutch expat, has his contacts. Gertsan Reijnders from Team Hans Vogels offered to help him with the air filter and tyres. Joining the bikes without assistance category mid-way through the Dakar shows that Marco has the taste for a challenge
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    05:48
    Quads: Ignacio Casale to carry on after all
    Following a major mechanical problem yesterday, the Chilean rider was not at all optimistic about continuing the rally. However, Ignacio Casale, who was towed to the bivouac, will indeed be among the starters this morning. Although he has solved his problems, he will nonetheless be starting in 144th position.
    05:38
    5-minute penalty for Meo
    After riding a superb special yesterday, Antoine Meo (KTM) received a 5 minute time penalty yesterday evening. Why? Because the five times enduro world champion had lost his clocking in card. This mistake sees him drop from fourth to ninth place in the general standings.
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    F5IRE in the Hole... according to your preferred timezone.?

[​IMG]

SS6 - Uyuni to Uyuni

CAR/BIKE/QUAD MAP
    [​IMG]

CAR/BIKE/QUAD PROFILE

[​IMG]
    High Tension Loop - 1st MOTO Start: 07:00AM

The longest special section of the Dakar takes place on the 6th day of consecutive racing. And that is not the only difficulty of this operation, which will take place between 3,500 and 4,200m in altitude. The pace and surfaces change constantly, alternating between sand and rock, which may be disconcerting, especially if it rains. Glimpses of the Salar de Uyuni are but one of the visual delights on the agenda. Meanwhile, the truck category, which will race separately on this 6th stage, will visit the home town of the President Evo Morales.

special n° 6 bike quad car truck
    1st start
    (GMT-4) 07:00 07:00 10:12 13:01
    Number of participants
    start
    124 39 99 53

Distance .............. Connection Distance ................ SS Distance
    Car ................................... 180km .............................. 542km
    Truck ................................ 304km ............................. 295km
    Bike .................................. 180km ............................. 542km
    Quad ................................. 180km ............................. 542km
  6. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I think they are safe weather wise... can't embed the animated map but i'm going with an early shower and those that get in late get a bucket dumped on their heads... make haste today chaps:evil

edit: can't find any doppler close by so sat pic is all i've got
  7. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the mousse issue - It's my personal racing experience, and personal opinion but mousses only go for a few reasons. I don't agree that people get bad mousses, not in the last ten years have I heard of a bad mousse. You get bands brands but no-one in their right mind would use one on Dakar.

Above all, can we give big props to Chris for not giving up dragging himself in. What a ledge.

So the reasons:

i) Too much mousse lube, applied to the wrong part of the mousse and or on the bead or the tyre. This causes the tyre to slip creating excess heat. You can't use bead locks in Dakar, they eat into the mousse and cause it to fail too.
    ii) The mousse was fitted by a brute who broke the bead and didn't realise. If you hear the bead rearing or break the tyre goes in the bin, end of. This is incredibly common and the most likely reason for failure. If I was Chris, I'd be really pissed and not let that person near the tyres again. Desert tyres are tough as hell to fit, but that is no excuse! :)
    iii) He was on a two day old mousse. Now this is really unlikely, because he'd be trying to push a mousse three days with the marathon stage and if that is the case, I need say no more. Realistically, In Dakar you need a new mousse in the back everyday. You don't need a new tyre, just a mousse.
  8. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    On 4,wheels I predict SL will cut it from the front today - same route as the bikes and of course with a navigator there is no real disadvantage starting first, anyhow let's wait and see.
  9. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at the live feed it looks foggy - obviously the choppers can fly!
  10. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    That sounds ominous.
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :nod :deal

... roll into the bivvy, find your crew, tryfix it... eat a sandwich and coffee (if time)... get your roadbook from the commisaire for the next stage... roll out of the bivvy (if able in time) to DSS, join the back of the que... repeat...
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    (8) 007 - HELDER RODRIGUES(PRT) YAMAHA 0h25m37s (1) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (1) 003 - TOBY PRICE(AUS) KTM +00:00:57 (2) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (5) 006 - JOAN BARREDA BORT(ESP) HONDA +00:01:28 (3) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (4) 014 - MATTHIAS WALKNER(AUT) KTM +00:01:49 (4) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (6) 004 - PABLO QUINTANILLA(CHL) HUSQVARNA +00:02:04 (5) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (3) 005 - STEFAN SVITKO(SVK) KTM +00:04:07 (6) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (2) 049 - ANTOINE MEO(FRA) KTM +00:08:15 (7) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--

Helder takes advantage of his pos 8. start to lay down a good elapsed time to CP1,
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Now that the first wave (3 minute start gap) of MOTOS is thru CP1... we see that most ridders with start positions 10 thru 16 made the best of the tracks laid down by Toby and the front hounds... to post good elapsed times so far - the first (number) in the display is where the rider started the stage in order - at the DSS

(12) 002 - PAULO GONCALVES(PRT) HONDA 0h25m18s (1) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (8) 007 - HELDER RODRIGUES(PRT) YAMAHA +00:00:19 (2) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (16) 042 - ADRIEN VAN BEVEREN(FRA) YAMAHA +00:00:37 (3) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (1) 003 - TOBY PRICE(AUS) KTM +00:01:16 (4) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (14) 027 - TXOMIN ARANA(ESP) HUSQVARNA +00:01:22 (5) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (15) 011 - JORDI VILADOMS(ESP) KTM +00:01:35 (6) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (10) 020 - ALAIN DUCLOS(FRA) SHERCO TVS +00:01:39 (7) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (5) 006 - JOAN BARREDA BORT(ESP) HONDA +00:01:47 (8) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (4) 014 - MATTHIAS WALKNER(AUT) KTM +00:02:08 (9) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (6) 004 - PABLO QUINTANILLA(CHL) HUSQVARNA +00:02:23 (10) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (11) 008 - RUBEN FARIA(PRT) HUSQVARNA +00:02:45 (11) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (9) 017 - JUAN PEDRERO GARCIA(ESP) SHERCO TVS +00:03:25 (12) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (13) 023 - GERARD FARRES GUELL(ESP) KTM +00:03:39 (13) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (3) 005 - STEFAN SVITKO(SVK) KTM +00:04:26 (14) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (2) 049 - ANTOINE MEO(FRA) KTM +00:08:34 (15) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--

Gonk comes steaming along in 12th spot back at them... :clap
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    dakar.com

06:35
    Price at CP1
    At only 44 kilometres from the start of the special, the first intermediate point has been already been reached by Toby Price. The Australian took 26'34'' to cover the distance. A lighting start!

06:37
    Back to the bivouac for Ivan Jakes
    The Slovak rider, who injured himself yesterday, seems to have turned round to head back to the bivouac. It appears that KTM rider number 16 is still having problems with his knee (ligaments). :cry:cry:cry

06:54
    Slow progress for Meo
    Having set off 3 minutes behind Toby Price, Antoine Méo currently only has the fourth best time at CP1. More worryingly, the gap between the five times world enduro champion and his team leader is significant. After the first 44 kilometres of the special, Meo is 7'18'' behind the Australian stage leader!

06:58
    Barreda bouncing back
    Lead by a quartet of KTMs at the finish of the 5th stage, Joan Barreda (Honda) seems determined to take action today. At CP1, the official Honda rider is in second place, 31 seconds behind Price (KTM) who still boasts the best time.

07:03
    Rodrigues: the force awakens?
    The least we can say is that Helder Rodrigues (Yamaha) has been discrete since the start of the rally. However, he seems determined to turn the tide. At CP1, the official Yamaha rider is credited with the best time, and with somewhat of a flourish, leading Toby Price (KTM) by 57 seconds.

07:15
    And now Gonçalves is quickest
    This stage really is starting at a hell of a pace. After Rodrigues, now another Portuguese rider is the quickest at CP1. The official Honda of Paulo Gonçalves leads the official Yamaha of Rodrigues by 19 seconds.
  15. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. long time no see.

What did I miss? Hmm only about 90 pages...You guys are slacking off big time! :lol2 Stop watching all those videos and live feeds and start posting more often! :photog

Here is something you probably have not seen or heard:

David Casteu: Doing coca is homeopathy! :lol3 - True its is the Bolivian way of dealing with altitude, but most certainly it is not homeopathy!
    [​IMG]

David Casteu s’est classé 26e de la 5e étape du Dakar entre Jujuy (Argentine) et Uyuni (Bolivie), à 15’02’’ du vainqueur Toby Price. Après avoir récupéré le temps perdu pour avoir secouru Pierre-Alexandre Renet mercredi, il est remonté à la 21e place du classement général, à 31’12’’ du leader Paulo Goncalves.
    « C’était une spéciale poussiéreuse. J’ai roulé vraiment fort, j’ai rattrapé Olivier Pain et d’autres pilotes, mais c’était très dangereux et j’ai préféré assurer, mes pneus étant très abimés. Nous sommes tous dans un mouchoir de poche. Cette année, le rythme est très élevé, il n’y a pas de navigation, c’est très rapide. Nous sommes montés à 4600 mètres et des Boliviens m’ont donné des feuilles de coca qui m’ont bien aidé à supporter l’altitude. C’est un peu comme de l’homéopathie. A Uyuni, on est à 3500 m et je me prépare pour la spéciale de demain (vendredi) ».

Harite Gabari : « Je dois finir ce Dakar ! »

Harite Gabari, 92e de l’étape à 1 h 07’29’’ du vainqueur, figure à la 105e place du général à 4 h 47’43’’ du leader : « Je me suis réveillé ce matin totalement cassé ! Je ne pouvais plus tourner la tête. J’ai toujours mal à la clavicule (j’ai fait une radio cet après-midi) et au coude ! La totale ! Mais le mental est là. Je suis parti ce matin pour attaquer une spéciale très dure ! 4600 m d’altitude ! Malgré la douleur, j’ai rattrapé pas mal de monde. Dans ma tête, je me suis dit : ‘‘je dois finir ce Dakar !’’ Pour mon pays le Maroc (je suis le seul représentant marocain sur le Dakar), mes partenaires, ma famille, mes amis, le Team Casteu et pour moi-même ».

Laurent Lazard, 97e de l’étape à 1 h 16’24’’ du vainqueur, figure à la 79e place du général à 3 h 14’57’’ du leader. Contacté mercredi soir, Laurent nous avait raconté son début de rallye : « Le premier jour, j’ai un petit problème mécanique, le 2e jour ; je n’étais pas dans le rythme ; le 3e jour, ça s’est plutôt pas mal passé. Le problème, c’est que j’ai dû doubler au moins 20 quads et 30 motos et j’ai fini 58e de l’étape. C’est pas trop mal, de toute façon, l’objectif est d’être dans les 40 la deuxième semaine. Je sais que le rallye commence après la journée de repos. Le tout est de ne pas perdre trop de temps maintenant et d’être présent dans les étapes dures car j’aime vraiment ça ».
    Mais à l’issue de la 6e étape, jeudi, « Laurent a beaucoup souffert de l’altitude, a indiqué David Casteu. Il a dû aller prendre de l’oxygène sous la tente médicale, mais ça ira pour demain (vendredi) ».

Or in google words:
    David Casteu was ranked 26th in the fifth stage of the Dakar between Jujuy (Argentina) and Uyuni (Bolivia) at 15'02 '' winner Toby Price. After recovering the time lost for rescuing Pierre-Alexandre Renet Wednesday, he rose to the 21st place in the overall standings, 31'12 '' leader Paulo Goncalves."It was a dusty special. I rode really strong, I caught Olivier Pain and other drivers, but it was very dangerous and I preferred to secure my tires are very damaged. We are all in a handkerchief. This year, the pace is very high, there is no navigation is very fast. We climbed to 4600 meters and Bolivians gave me coca leaves, which helped me to endure the altitude. It's like homeopathy. A Uyuni, one is 3500 m and I am preparing for the Special tomorrow (Friday).

"Harite Gabari: "I have to finish this Dakar! "Harite Gabari, 92nd step 1 h 07'29 '' behind the winner, is at the 105th place overall at 4 h 47'43 '' leader: "I woke up this morning completely broken! I could not turn my head. I always sore collarbone (I did a radio this afternoon) and elbow! The total ! But the mind is there. I went this morning to tackle a very tough special! 4600 m above sea level! Despite the pain, I caught a lot of people. In my head, I said: 'I have to finish this Dakar!' 'For my country Morocco (I am the only Moroccan representative on the Dakar), my partner, my family, my friends, Team Casteu and myself ".

Laurent Lazard, 97th Step 1 h 16'24 '' behind the winner, is at the 79th place overall to 3 h 14'57 '' behind the leader. Contacted Wednesday evening, Lawrence had told us his early rally: "The first day, I have a small mechanical problem, the second day; I was not in rhythm; the third day, it was pretty good before. The problem is that I had to double at least 20 quads and 30 bikes and I finished 58th in the stage. It's not too bad, anyway, the goal is to be within 40 the second week. I know the rally begins after the rest day. The key is to not lose too much time now and be present in the hard stage because I really like it. "But after the sixth stage on Thursday, "Laurent has suffered altitude, said David Casteu. He had to go take oxygen in the medical tent, but it will go for tomorrow (Friday). "
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    As Jenny points out... for any of the f5 newcomers who wondering what the "snowballs" that many refer to in that late hours of the evening... ^^^ ANNIE SEELS circumstances over the last 48 hours illustrate it perfectly...

The "snowballing effect" of coming in late from a stage, only minimal sleep/recovery/mechanical repair time before having to commence the next arduous stage... is the snowball--- that so often rolls over the competitors that fall off the rear of the DAKAR train, where the sweeper truck lives.

Heja Annie! :clap:clap:clap fight on!
  17. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I worked in Uyuni for a couple of years>The route around the Salar is pretty flat with a winding track. Its very nice riding and I think will be very quick. If its wet, it gets pretty gnarly and can become quite snotty. The guys will have to pay attention though, because every now and again between long open stretches there are ditches and big holes which in the middle of nowhere would end it for anyone who does not slow down for these hazards.

The landscape will be superb, not that anyone is going to care about that.
  18. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    At CP1 physically Toby was still out front, Meo dropped one (or maybe two positions on the track physically)

so the running order at CP1 was Toby (@ 5 min spacing) Sefan, then Meo/Waulkner (close together) and Bam Bam moving up on the back of Waulkner
  19. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    When you've got 21 sets of tracks to follow you can afford to go for it as well.
    Ideally Meo, Svitko or Walkner will keep BB at bay.
    I'm not looking at the bubbles I'm trying to do it in my head but I don't think there is a whole lot between those guys so hopefully they form a wall of dust until the surface changes and the dust option disappears then they will have to fight.
  20. SandRocks

SandRocks excusethenoob

Oddometer:
    • 08:44 : Barbero crashes
      Alessandro Barbero, the rider of Husqvarna number 138 has just fallen after 30 kilometres of the special.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.