2016 DAKAR "Cliffnotes" (lifeboat)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    The first MOTO (Honda #153 Nogales) is scheduled to start the PROLOGUE - 11 km stage at 14:57 pm local ARG time. The motos run the prologue in reverse numerical (start number) order.

F5ire in the hole for DAKAR 2016 Prologue in ten minutes... and counting... :D
  2. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    • from Dakar.com

• 14:46 : It’s time to get the party started!
      Here we go! The 350 competitors have been impatiently waiting for the start of the 38th edition of the Dakar contested in Argentina and Bolivia. Whilst the day merely seems to be an appetiser, this prologue will prove to be quite “copious” with no less than 346 kilometres to be covered, including 11 kilometres of special stage.In an exercise where there is often more to be lost than won, how will the “newcomers” in the car category, in particular Sébastien Loeb or Mikko Hirvonen, fare on their debuts? Will they stamp their mark on the race from the start or at least take advantage of a relatively favourable and short 11-kilometre configuration to win their first special stage? Will the old hands let them fall into the trap of the prologue? It will certainly be an interesting stage to watch, all the more so since the standings at the end of the prologue will determine the starting order the following day The situation is similar in the bike category, where the absence of last year’s winner, Marc Coma, should allow the leading lights of the category to inflict an initial psychological blow.In short, over these 11 kilometres against the clock, the competitors must avoid confusing speed with haste.So, will there be a surprise or not? By this evening, we will have found out!

• 14:32 : Tension is building
      The first motorcycles and quads have reached the start of the inaugural timed section of the 2016 Dakar.The first competitor will start at 2:30 pm local time and face an 11 km test, which the fastest should cover in about 10 minutes.It is worth remembering the prologue is back after 11 years. The last prologue, held in Spain for the 2005 Dakar, went to David Frétigné in the motorcycle category and Robby Gordon in the car category. The American announced his Dakar debut with a triumph in his first special in the race. An exploit some would like to repeat…
  3. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No pressure on that poor #153 Bolivian dude.... 152 other people trying to pass you on narrow roads for 11 km ;)
  4. solitary1

solitary1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    there will only be 20 bikes rolling when he finishes
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :happayF5IRE IN THE HOLE....!

[​IMG]

... the first MOTO competitor is on the PROLOGUE piste... now

14:32 : Tension is building
    The first motorcycles and quads have reached the start of the inaugural timed section of the 2016 Dakar. Quads have already started the stage first. The first MOTO competitor will start at 14:57 pm local time and face an 11 km test, which the fastest should cover in about 10 minutes. It is worth remembering the prologue is back after 11 years. The last prologue, held in Spain for the 2005 Dakar, went to David Frétigné (450 Yamaha) in the motorcycle category and Robby Gordon in the car category. The American announced his Dakar debut with a triumph in his first special in the race. An exploit some would like to see repeated…
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    • 15:03 : Back on the road after a hitch
      Edward Barbier was the first competitor to be hit by a mechanical on his way to the special, but the South African seems to have repaired it, as he's just finished the special with a smooth 8′16″. It was just a scare for the man on Yamaha YZF 700 R no. 275.
    • 15:00 : Special over for the first quads!
      The first quads have finished the special. The race got officially under way at 2:30 pm local time (6:30 pm CET).The 11 km special has opened up significant gaps among the competitors who have reached the finish. Marcelo Medeiros, the Brazilian at the wheel of quad 292, has set the bar quite high with a time of 7′26″, 19 seconds faster than his closest challenger.But it's not over yet…
  7. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just in from South African rider Kobus Potgieter

Start of the prologue. For the last 170km there were crowds next to the road ... Amazing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GOOO KOBUS!!! :pynd:pynd:pynd:pynd
  8. cameron110

cameron110 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fastest quad averaged 91 km/hr (56 mph for us yanks) and the back markers are already knocking on the door of those speeds. I can't wait to see what the fast guys on bikes are gonna turn in.
  9. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's incredible how someone has to draw the short straw at the very beginning.
    It happened on the prologue of the ECO race as well.
    One of those C'est la vie things, I guess.
  10. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Argentina's Juan Agustín Rojo has reportedly stopped just a few hundred metres into today's special. The man on Gas Gas 450 no. 127 is trying to get going again after a mechanical.
  11. cameron110

cameron110 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BC61 thanks for kicking Mishca's link in for the new guy. Almost double posted that with you but saw it just in time to not get 205'd

For those not used to watching this race in your mind while looking at times, take a look at the sat view below and how many tight corners there are and then consider that the fastest bike so far are averaging something like 95kph (about 56mph)!!!

12. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    David Casteu (Google translate): "I can not wait to leave!"

Friday 1 January 2016. - David found in Buenos Aires (Argentina) pilots of Team Casteu, the Moroccan Harite Gabari and the French-Uruguayan Laurent Lazard. All have passed the technical and administrative controls Dakar whose prologue, between Buenos Aires and Rosario, takes place the following morning (Saturday, January 2).

"We have received the material and we are at the administrative and technical controls, says David in Buenos Aires. These four days are as always a little stressful because we are in full implementation, we undergo checks and are careful that nothing is missing. There are always small risks but we all wait to leave. These waiting times are a little long, but with our serenity and our experience, we are well organized. We take the opportunity to receive everyone and seeing friends. There is a stress on the weather since "El Nino" arrived on the Argentinean coast and we expect its consequences. In addition, there is a new generation of bikers who comes and it still puts a little more pressure. "

[​IMG]

Missed it. You get a penalty for not posting a screenshot. ;D

I think its to try not to get carried away and blow a $80-150K entry cost on the first day.
  13. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com:
    Now that all the quads have completed the first timed section, it's the motorcycles' turn to tackle the special. Riders are starting in reverse order, so the favourites have yet to begin. Diego Martín Duplessis (no. 104) holds a best time of 6'57" at the moment, but it shouldn't last long.

(For some reason I have problems copying and pasting from there...)
  14. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ON Dakar.com, quak (yes because you have to be one to ride one) winner Rafal Sonik Confirms our suspicions:

"I wasn't expecting a fantastic result because I realise local riders know this terrain like their backs of their hands. Moreover, the opening stage is always the toughest one for me. That time I had to quit the rally, it happened on the first day. I made it to the finish every other time. That's why I wanted to take it easy, but I lost my road book follow-up device in the link section, so I resorted to the back-up, which isn't as good. I lost 20 seconds? That means some riders literally flew on this special! It's no big deal."
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Yes... Leg "0" (from departure of the start podium in BA) is part of the official itinerary of the event.

So screw up on the 11 km "prologue stage" and it counts to your outright position/late time...
    as does any mechanical problem/delay on the liason stage.
  16. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some one forget to give team KTM the updated roadbook?
  17. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    She is spotting the boys some time so she doesn't make them look bad later...
  18. solitary1

solitary1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    laia is currently in 108th position,not a big deal really
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    How is it different to a rider/driver that makes a mistake/mechanical failure, in the first 11 km's of a 200 km SS tomorrow...?

The net result is the same.
  20. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Balkan Boy: Its the nature of a prologue, I think its better than simply seeding the riders. Brings another dynamic in; common on many rallies and the Dakar in years past.

I don't agree about the risk. Anyone entering knows that this is the most dangerous racing event out there. If people don't ride to the road conditions, its their responsibility and their risk to take. So if some race it like the quads, fine. But others will be slower and still end up winning. Its a long race as you know.

Here is De Villiers at the start of the SS
    [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.