2016 DAKAR "Cliffnotes" (lifeboat)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then that rider has the other 189km to make up time and for someone else to break down. :D

Edit:
    My point is that equipment, riders and tactics are prepared for 500-1000km rides. This is short format is a disadvantage for anyone playing the long game.
  2. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I reckon they will crack it at full gas. No reason not to go slow unless it is dangerous (relatively) not to; like if the field was full of dust. But I forgot that they had lots of rain so it should be nicely torn up and with plenty of lines to follow.
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Huge deal :nod

108 riders dust ahead of her tomorrow :nod Unless they reseed her....fark I hate reseeding :nod
  4. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow Toby Price 18s off BBB...

Some people obviously being a little more conservative....must be lots of strategies out there after all..
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Speedy is 51st place, ouch that is going to cost alot of compounded time.

Helder :pynd

Faria :pynd
  6. solitary1

solitary1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    laia finished in 116th place
  7. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, #127 Rojo is now the only rider not in the ASS. Maybe he crashed or had a mechanical. Either way I'm guessing he is out by now. Damn..
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    For the noobs, the times today make very little difference in the big picture. The placing is a big deal. 1st sucks as you have to lead out the stage tomorrow, 2nd is better but not much better. 3rd-6th are ideal, typically the top 1-6 bunch up meaning 6th will gain 12 minutes on 1st (assuming he catches him)......but this would mean 6th starts the stage the next day in 1st (bad). 3rd is an ideal placing today (imho)....Helder :pynd

Make sense?
  9. cameron110

cameron110 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think someone said he was stopped with a mechanical only a few hundred yards into the special
  10. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as he gets it repaired and makes it to the bivouac before the cutoff, he will be able to start tomorrow DFL.
  11. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When looking at the results from the prologue, it's important to bear in mind that whilst you cannot win the Dakar on the first stage, you can lose it ...........

It's like leading the first laps of the Le Mans 24 hour car race - lots of publicity, press and TV coverage for the winner for a very short period, but it's all swiftly forgotten as the race progresses. We're all Dakar experts here - ask yourself who won the opening stage last year ? And then ask yourself who won Dakar 2015 ? I suspect you will know the answer to one, and not the other.

The prologue result will really have little bearing on what we see over the next two weeks !
  12. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    How long before they tap him on the shoulder and tell him he's done ? This is at least a years worth of effort for this guy maybe more what a downer I hope he gets moving again. Degroot last year went out on the first day with electrical problems.
  13. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strategy? Today was the best and easiest day to give up the least amount of time to get a starting position that has the potential to gain the most time tomorrow without having to open any tracks. Will this play out to someone building a substantial lead after day two?
  14. cameron110

Oddometer:
    Cars are already out on course, al-attyah turned in a 6:13 I hope the didn't pull him off the course before the cars started.
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Historically yes...but 2 minutes in the overall is quite a bit in the "Sprint to Dakar" modern age...

Love the prologue way more than having org choose the starting order on day one. HATE that the prologue replaced a full days racing...big time
  16. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or will it? I think the top riders that start a little further back have a great opportunity to gain a bunch of time. It will be interesting to see how tomorrow plays out.
  17. cameron110

Oddometer:
    I hope that's true and that he has some time to limp it in, hell it's pretty flat, he could push it the 11 km in a couple hours. I was just worried they would be doing it differently for the super short prologue. That would require the ASO to have written different rules for the prologue which seems like a lot of effort and wouldn't make much sense but then again this is the ASO we are talking about.
  18. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a UK KTM dealer my support would naturally have fallen behind Sam Sunderland - but that will have to wait until 2017 now. I will be following the UK riders with interest but, if I was a betting man, my money would be on Toby Price for the top spot on the podium.

Pyn's avatar stays - we are still working with him on his Races to Place project and I still have huge respect for his Dakar achievement !
    terry.mc likes this.
  19. solitary1

solitary1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    walkner and price start in 15th and 16th tomorrow,maybe they will work together to blaze through the field
  20. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Rojo finally made it in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.