2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT/DMC Expedition sidecar, I can’t wait for summer!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by IAMOUTAHERE, Jan 15, 2020.

1. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all, after much internal debate and some excellent advice and council from members on this forum, I dove into the deep end today and ordered a DMC Expedition Sidecar rig to be attached to my 2016 CRF1000L DCT Africa Twin (pictured below next to my son’s ATAS). I’ve had the bike since new, and can’t say enough good things about it and where it’s taken me. I also have a 2013 Ural Gear Up (now for sale) which has been a blast, but based on it’s limitations for the types of trips I do, I came up with the mashup idea of an adequately powered and reliable tug with an awesome sidecar. Andrew at DMC has been very helpful (and patient) as I walked through various iterations and we settled on a plan this morning. Hoping to have a fully operational and adventure ready rig by early summer. Commencing countdown....

BTW, I will do my best to reply should there be any questions between now and ~5 months from now, but I can’t imagine having much to report before the build begins. Patience is still a virtue, right? 31BBDBEE-477C-47AC-8CFC-3D5FDE559F81.jpeg 47DE9225-886C-4FFE-898C-4B5BDB8B70BA.jpeg B8CF524B-CB88-432D-BC19-5D5847AE9457.jpeg
  2. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Awesome project, hope you can get build pics out of DMC! One question, were you able do any research and obtain "fact-based" feedback or comments on how a DCT will hold-up to the added weight of a sidecar? Also, there are more than a few posts about premature front fork bearing wear on the 2016 thru 2018 Africa Twins. My bro-in-law bought one new, and had the forks puke their oil and freeze-up on him in less than 6~7K miles. Honda denied a warranty repair (even though it was in warranty), and from his research, apparently denied all claims, stating there was no design or manufacturing problem. Strangely enough, the design was changed for the new model year . . . .

Best,
    BJMoose and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  3. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, looking forward to the end product. Not much feedback on the DCT, other than a “it should be brilliant” comment from down under. I don’t think there are a lot of similar use cases out there, at least not ones that I could find. I figure I will just address things as they come up. No issues on the forks, at least not yet.
  4. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Very cool, do keep us informed please! An Africa Twin with DCT sidecar makes for not only a more affordable adventure sidecar (vs. a BMEW tug), but the DCT could also solve issues for disabled riders like myself. I've had custom heel/heel shift gear selector pedals fabricated to allow me to shift gears with my left-lef prosthetic, but a DCT bike would be a lot easier to pilot!

Best,
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I really look forward to this build. Not 100% sure how this would work, but I think the DCT could make low speed crawling through rocky or rough pieces a bit easier than feathering and gunning a dry plate GS. I've been curious about a DCT tug ever since they came out. There's the VFR1200F DCT too -- less suspension but more power!
  6. Burbankalley

Burbankalley ancient ski patrolle

Oddometer:
    Yes, please keep us informed! I'm looking for a Honda DCT to build up so I can move on from my little blue-collar KLR/Sputnik...... even though it's been more fun than a box of frogs in church....
    IAMOUTAHERE and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  7. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn

Oddometer:
    Having ridden a DCT rig for a few hundred miles, have to say it was very impressive. Adapting to the technique and automated set up initially preoccupied the mind, but soon evolved into enthusiastic appreciation. Only wish the wallet permitted ownership.
    The bike in question was Honda's VF1200X DCT vee four with Daytona sidecar alongside courtesy of Apex Sports in Colorado Springs created by resident sidecar guy, Doyne Bruner.
    The various rides allowed some appraisal of the transmission options. I didn't favour the default setting as both up and down gear changes were too delayed. Of the three specific settings, the personal "ideal" was the middle, number 2. Allied to the manual, handlebar up/down switches, the ability to make good progress on those Rocky mountain roads was a joy. In the case of the big Honda, the power available was, again for me, a little too much.
    BJMoose, doynebruner, 3legs and 6 others like this.
  8. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  9. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    This will be a fun thread to watch - great idea for a hack.
    rg sw wa., MGV8 and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  10. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yes really looking forward to it. The Twin should be a good platform. I’m pretty much going with every option on the DMC Expedition, and having them do the Leading Link front end modification. I will post updates once I deliver the bike to them and when they start working on it. Hoping for a mid summer ride through the PNW.
    rg sw wa., MGV8, DRONE and 2 others like this.
  11. Chip_Morgan

Chip_Morgan lieguy@gmail.com

Oddometer:
    Awesome project! I'm thinking about doing one on a Triumph but have to admit the DCT aspect has me intrigued. I have a 2018 Goldwing with DCT and love the dang thing, I could see where a sidehack rig with a DCT would be awesome......
    IAMOUTAHERE and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  12. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm tempted by the DCT also... Be nice to have a rig that doesn't require 4 functional limbs. One concern would be the ability to creep- VW Group uses a lot of DCTs and they don't like having their clutches slipped!
  13. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    pops, 3legs and Bar None like this.
  14. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a great idea. I've heard of Rekluse but not EFM.

I wonder if that would fit an old Honda 750. Would be great for my current build.

Never having seen one in action I assume you still change gears as normal ( dumb question I know but I bet there are others who was thinking that :D ) but just use the throttle with the changes not throttle and lever.
  15. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi I have a pair of wheels that came with a bunch of XS650 bits.
    I think maybe Honda 750 though could be Kwaka.
    Mid 70's wire spoked though not super flash.
    Distinctive feature is the rear has a disk brake.
    I think only the F1 had that.
    Some maybe useless info for ya!
  16. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cheers brstar but my build is not your everyday Honda 4 build :D in fact about the only thing Honda is the engine.

Sorry for thread hijack.
    Flyin' Monkeys and brstar like this.
  17. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next stop, DMC’s shop in Buckley, WA! Great service from Haul Bikes so far. 11BAEEA1-EC5A-425E-9379-270726E3A60B.jpeg 485F34E5-7481-4E93-AA0D-BF81A9B2C217.jpeg
    WU7X, masegraves, MGV8 and 5 others like this.
  18. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    The DCT should have more engine braking than mist Rekluse.
  19. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will be patiently waiting to see this completed rig
  20. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    It was still in warranty at 67k miles?
    Flyin' Monkeys and DRONE like this.