2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT/DMC Expedition sidecar, I can’t wait for summer!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by IAMOUTAHERE, Jan 15, 2020.

1. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Fat thumb, corrected to 6~7k miles.
    DRONE, Flyin' Monkeys and davidji like this.
  2. Stroker

Stroker motorcycle traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can’t speak to the Africa Twin’s DCT, but we have a Honda Pioneer 1000 side-by-side that has the basically same engine and transmission as the AT, I’m told. We bought it to use on the farm, and we pulled trailers around and load it to heavily. There have been a couple recall campaigns, one regarding the clutch, but it is a work horse. It should work equally well pulling a hack. Good luck with your build.
  3. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have zero knowledge about sidecar rigs but know DCT and the difference vs a manual transmission.
    One of the main differences is that the default state of the clutch is 'disengaged' whereas the manual is 'engaged'.

This means if your rig is stopped (engine OFF) on an incline, the rear brake will be the only thing that stops the vehicle from rolling backward.
    Parking brake will help only a little.
    There are only a few scenarios where this would become an issue, but IMO, you should rig the sidecar wheel to have brakes you can engage for safety.
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I think you mean the opposite? When a clutch is disengaged, power from the engine is transferred through the gearbox to the driveshaft. When the clutch is engaged, the engine can rev freely as it is no longer driving the gearbox.

But to get this straight, are you saying that if you park your DCT in gear, engine off, you can roll it around freely like it was in Neutral? This I did not know.
    BJMoose and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  5. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. Opposite of what a manual transmission clutch does.
    It's not in true neutral if you shut off the engine (still in gear) but the clutch is no longer engaged (I will keep my terminology the same) due to zero oil pressure- oil pump is OFF.
    If you have a center stand, easy to test how this works.
    By design and no way around it.
    JustKip and brstar like this.
  6. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    I hope to see you up here in PACNORWEST. I grew up east of Sacramento (Carmichael) and used to visit family every year and every time I would ride 49 up through GV and then 89 into into Truckee, some years taking 20. Love the ride with Downieville being one of my favorite little stop over towns in the world. It's so peaceful sitting along the river. Grass Valley has really grown since I first saw it in the 60s.

Let us know when you are ready to check out the area and I'm sure there will be a meetup, even if it means just heading over to Buckley to see you christen your new rig. DMC put a Sputnik on my DL650 several years ago, a good and proper installation, and it is a hoot, as I'm sure yours will be too.

And it's great that you are able to ride with your son. Mine has been in the Army for over 20 years but whenever he visits we go exploring in Washington, Idaho and Montana. When I visit him in northern Maryland we take in some beautiful rides there and in Virginia. I'll always have at least two bikes, one for my son.
    IAMOUTAHERE, DRONE and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  7. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great input everyone, thanks! The clutch engaged/disengaged topic is one I hadn’t considered. So yes, when the bike is parked with the engine off, you can roll it, albeit it with a bit of resistance. The DCT does come with a “parking brake” in lieu of a clutch lever, so hopefully this will resolve the issue. If not, note to self, pack a wheel chock.

Gasket, the PNW is my favorite part of the country, love it up there. Planning a trip (with the new rig) in June/July to include OR, WA, Olympic Peninsula, Bella Coola in BC, Whistler, etc. If it coincides with a meet-up that’d be great.

Agree completely about Grass Valley, couldn’t be happier living here. Endless beautiful rides on and off road. Having the Sierra Nevada mountains in your backyard is also a very good thing. As is adventuring with my son, we try to do at least one trip per year together.

Cheers!
  8. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At the risk of hijacking my own thread, this is a sample of the area around Grass Valley, for those that aren’t familiar. Miles and miles of beautiful roads, lakes, etc. Perfect ADV territory. And yes, I’m still enjoying the all-weather capable Ural, but it is for sale.
    EB7C8008-FCED-4A27-8A5E-927679DE1F76.jpeg E38D9C57-E9E5-4463-8E89-AE0B67C5D0F6.jpeg BC61A017-F202-459B-B508-F0924EBF1638.jpeg 30ECA1BA-12AF-48B5-9AA9-A4DE8122E5AC.jpeg
    Gasket, rg sw wa., masegraves and 3 others like this.
  9. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    As to the "parking brake" question.
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 6.43.40 PM.png
    pulls the front brake lever or just use a bungie cord or hair tie or duct tape... whatever
  10. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant!
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Stupid! This requires me to engage my brain every time I park the bike. (Engage, not disengage. :lol3) Which is impossible! My brain's normal state is disengaged. Watch my DCT rig roll away!
  12. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    ^My dad used to say of someone who had difficultly grasping the reality of a situation that "he was slipping his clutch".
  13. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    I carry about an 8 inch piece of velcro tape and wrap it around the brake lever. A friend from whom I bought his BMW R60/Ural hack showed that to me.
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using the strip of double sided velcro tape from day one. Easy peasy
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Only if you REMEMBER to do it! How is that eazy-pezy? :D

(In all honesty, I actually have a hydraulic parking brake plumbed into the front brake line on my bike. And I use it every time I park on an incline, in addition to leaving the tranny in gear.)
  16. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I use an old toe strap from bicycling pedals.
    rg sw wa. and Bobmws like this.
  17. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Well, that would explain your clutch wear! :hmmmmm:augie
    rg sw wa., Flyin' Monkeys and brstar like this.
  18. pagomichaelh

pagomichaelh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tafuna, American Samoa (14.295°S 170.70°W)
    I wear industrial pant leg straps (with hi-viz reflectors) when riding, which also double as the parking brake.
    rg sw wa., Bobmws, davebig and 2 others like this.
  19. Liko

Liko Noncommittal at best

Oddometer:
    Know that area well. Lived there until the 2003 Olde Fire. Thank goodness for Allstate.

Anxious to see the end result.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  20. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn

Oddometer:
    Parking brake. Reusable cable tie ?
    Very cheap, so easy to carry spares and useful in any case for on the road emergencies.
    BJMoose, Flyin' Monkeys and rg sw wa. like this.