2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT/DMC Expedition sidecar, I can’t wait for summer!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by IAMOUTAHERE, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    I never forget to use that velcro strip whenever I park on anything with even the slightest incline. I like the idea of a parking brake though.
    rg sw wa. and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  2. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    I meant to say how much I enjoyed those pics. Beautiful. And do I ever miss riding there.
  3. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gasket, yeah, I feel pretty spoiled living here, I get out and about in the backcountry just about every weekend. Looking forward to exploring even more backroads and longer distances once I get the Twin set up with the sidecar. Since most of my riding is solo, having that third wheel and the Warn winch will be reassuring should I get into something that I would struggle with on two wheels. It’ll also be nice being able to keep overnight kit in the sidecar should I end up with an unplanned overnight.

Unrelated to local rides after my maiden voyage with the new rig to Bella Coola, I plan on doing the VBOM ride in July. Should be epic.
    MGV8 likes this.
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Since you will be driving a super reliable Honda rig, better figger out now the correct nomenclature for that tool from Warn. Since you're a former Ural owner, my vote goes to "Ural Recovery Tool." When I get asked about the one that I have on my BMW rig, I always refer to it as my "Harley Recovery Tool."
    Bobmws and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  5. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Point taken, being a Toyota guy, I have had “Jeep Recovery Tools” on Landcruisers. Ural Recovery Tool it is!

Wait, You don’t actually recover Harley’s, do you? ;-)
    Bobmws and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I'm an indiscriminate Good Samaritan, and I have, in fact, rescued a Harley once. But on that occasion I used my Roto-Pax spare fuel container to effect the rescue. :D
  7. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    My reverse gear. I would never do something as silly as get stuck. Well, not often.

[​IMG]
  8. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not that I would ever get stuck either, but just in case a Ural or one of Drone’s Harley friends wants to follow me down the trail, I’m rigging up the Sidecar so the winch can be use fore or aft.
  9. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Case in point, I sure would have liked to have a rear winch when I turned my van into a 10,000 lb toboggan on an “ice road”. Not that I was stuck, but backing up hill one Maxtrax at a time was less than ideal. FABCB181-A916-4709-BFFB-09A88A6FCBF6.png 36DFCCEE-6D09-4585-91A6-387BCB09CDAD.png
  10. Chip_Morgan

Chip_Morgan lieguy@gmail.com

Oddometer:
    I'm no engineer, but from what I hear, the DCT and the Rekluse aren't made the same way. The DCT has no history of slippage in any of Honda's products, as far as I know.
    rg sw wa., Flyin' Monkeys and DCTFAN like this.
  11. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I googled it, “VBOM” ride” and did not find anything meaningful . So, what is the starting point and ending point along with the route ?
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    2020 VBOM 1000
  13. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just about every year they go down the Gravelly Range. And in general, that is one of the things you have to do. Period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your saying all the right things here. I do a lot of solo travel and the odd time have had to winch my self out of a brain fart situation. Bella Coola awesome. Make sure you ride down to Farwell canyon on the way in.
    IAMOUTAHERE and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  15. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Of course the winch comes in handy when the Dear misses doesn't want that bush there any more :lol3
    IMG_3747.JPG IMG_3748.JPG
    SLACKER, masegraves, Jimr80gs and 5 others like this.
  16. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks MGV8, yes, really looking forward to Bella Coola, and will add Farwell Canyon to the itinerary. Great looking rig by the way!

Metalcarver, I haven’t seen the route yet, but this being the Very Best of MT, I’ve got to believe the Gravelly Range will be on there. Really looking forward to that ride, even more so now that my son will be joining me.

A quick build update, DMC has the tub built and ready for paint. The bike will be in their shop next week, and they expect to have it completed in 2 months. So thinking I’ll fly up there to pick it up and ride it back home either down the coast, or through central Washington and Oregon.
  17. MGV8

Oddometer:
    This is what I like about this forum. You find and hear about places that you normally wouldn't find. Going to add Gravelly Range to my route to the MOA rally. Sadly I can't fit in the VBOM or else I'd be there. Sounds like an awesome time. As with Southern BC, there is just too much country, including Montana, to explore in one life time.
    Bobmws, BJMoose, rg sw wa. and 2 others like this.
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The MOA rally I believe is scheduled for the end of June. Don't count on too many roads into the Gravelly Mts to be melted out by then. Maybe, yes, but maybe have a Plan B.
    BJMoose, MGV8 and rg sw wa. like this.
  19. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I hear you, planning it on my return journey. First week of July, so maybe.
    BJMoose likes this.
  20. IAMOUTAHERE

IAMOUTAHERE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s been awhile since I’ve posted an update on the build, because, well there hasn’t been much to update, until I got a bit of good news today.

But firstly, I hope everyone is staying safe and enduring the current state of affairs. This too will pass.

Now, about the Africa Twin/DMC Expedition rig. I received the pictures below of the painted tub. Looks pretty good to me. I’ll have the front bumper with lights and the front and rear racks to break up the abundance of silver, but I think it’ll look pretty sharp.

As far as the rest of the build, i.e. the Leading Link front end and the mounting HW, it looks like 6 more weeks :(, but holding out hope it’ll be completed well before that.

Jay, if you’re reading this, beer is on me for the whole crew if you can expedite the build!
    9FDE9867-0144-40A7-99C5-EA28F54BEF50.jpeg 4EDD672B-2476-4F09-B369-56B562D7045A.jpeg 80196A71-8BFB-43BB-A6D4-AB583FE437CC.jpeg
    rg sw wa., BJMoose, CCjon and 6 others like this.