2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Linhares

Linhares OSM addicted

Oddometer:
    They are quite close to each other!
  2. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Got it, that was B/C, before coffee. He just went through and others posted better times behind him.

Still very strong for a rookie.
    VxZeroKnots and 640 Armageddon like this.
  3. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Problems for Botturi, I see Ceci left him behind...
  4. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the Gordini's can make up some time in more wide open country, or will the Pugs start walking away?
  5. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    :jack
  6. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com

295 - Alberto Prieto turns his hand to the Dakar

Despite a motorcycle accident that left his left arm paralysed, Alberto is racing at the Dakar after testing the waters at the Desafío Guaraní and several European bajas. The exemplary story of a fighter.

• [​IMG]
    Jujuy bivouac. Quad no. 295 rolls in. A storm looms. There is still some daylight. Alberto has just handily finished the second real stage of the Dakar. He observes all the formalities, picks up his rations and heads for the assistance crew. He pauses to share his thoughts on his debut in the toughest race in the world: "I expected to suffer a lot today", he blurts out. "The terrain in the first stage was quite similar to the Madrid area, where I work and live. It went well. Today was a pleasant surprise: I'm pulling through!" Alberto's enthusiasm is what fuels his ability to go head-to-head with the big boys. His quad has been adapted to be fully controlled by the rider's right hand following a design by José María Peña and Jorge Velayos. "I've been unable to move my right arm ever since I had a motorcycle accident in 2003", explains the Atlético de Madrid fan. The team name on his quad reads: "Fundación de - A +". The foundation was set up a couple of years ago by a friend who wanted to help overcome disability by coming up with solutions for disabled people who are not ready to give up on sport just yet. Alberto, sitting in 42nd place overall yesterday, is living the dream and advancing the cause.
  7. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    Benavides and Gonc are in :wings
    DudaRO likes this.
  8. drgunther

drgunther Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see some footage of him riding, must be a hell of a feat to wrestle a quad around with only one arm!
    yardracer likes this.
  9. tormenta

tormenta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont see any problem between them.What i manage to undestand from the conversation is that Barreda told Gonzalves that he would have a penalty from the last radar, so in the next special Gonzalves will start before him . Then i believe that Gonzalves begin to discuss the strategy for the next stage but finally says that they will discuss it later.

in the minute 16:18 of this video it can be heard the conversation between them

Sorry for my bad english
    dickosaurus, Rato Molhado and LocuL like this.
  10. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like Kevin Benavides started a 420km special, opened the track the whole way and finished first losing only +00:02:37 to Gonk.
    (His time will probably be around +5min soon)

This is quite an effort. :clap:clap

(If he was an Aussie, we'd never hear the end of it. :lol2)
  11. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    they both looks like sailing in the WRC stages...looks good but much time spent sideways
  12. ZequeArgentina

ZequeArgentina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EXactly!!!
    If he was Aussie, or fromthe USA we would have hundreads of post about him!!
    Congratulations for Kevin amazing riding and road navigating! A new star is being in formation.
  13. Rato Molhado

Oddometer:
    I agree with you. I think there were no much drama, damn it :patch:rofl
  14. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Barreda and Goncalves on the same time to the second?! 4h05m30s
    This can't be right. :eek7
  15. e900naestrada

e900naestrada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Barreda cross the line before Meo. Will be hard to take off this Dakar from the hands of Bang Bang...
  16. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yes - Malle Moto, you only get to use what you can carry in your trunk, plus oils and cleaning materials made available in the dedicated Malle Moto pit area.

If you enlist a team or individual to carry extra parts and tools for you, you are no longer Malle Moto - even if you do the spannering yourself.

Certainly it is possible that you might be able to reduce the costs of your assistance package appreciably if you say you'll do the service work yourself, rather than hand the bike to one of their own mechanics - and indeed some privateers do this - work themselves under the banner of an assistance team (that carries their gear/spares for them), and can commission a mechanic to do more intensive work if required - either a major mechanical issue, or that you're just too knackered to stay up half the night doing the work yourself. However, based on an hourly rate, this is likely to cost you just as much as having paid for a full or shared mechanic in the first place mind you!

Yes, most Marathon riders use an assistance team - in fact most Dakar riders use an assistance team, unless they are Malle Moto of course.

If you are Marathon, and need to change an engine (as Troy says), you inform the Organisation and source an engine from somewhere*.

note. you cannot enter Marathon if you you bring a spare engine with you, as each engine needs to be scrutinised too, and if you've got a spare engine with you, you're not considered Marathon.

*(actually, depending on how friendly your service team is with the scrutineers, ahem, sometimes they'll let you scrutineer the second engine, on the understanding you are not going to use it unless it is absolutely essential - and be assured that if you still want to contend Marathon, they will check the engine number on the cases/vehicle registration document at the end of the rally, to make sure you haven't changed it surreptitiously.

Note. this relaxing of the rules may have changed now since so many riders use KTM machines, but certainly when I was on a Yamaha in 2011, the chance of a spare engine being available was relatively rare, so they let it though on the above understanding...)

However, there is nothing to stop you getting an engine from another team/competitor (that was scrutineered as SP) and fitting that, you just have to inform the Orga of your decision, and you can then continue in the race in the SP class.

When I competed in 2011, there was no penalty to change from Marathon to Super Production.

Jx
  17. Rato Molhado

Oddometer:
    I have 004:05:30 for Barreda and 004:07:19 (2) for Gonc :dunno
  18. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    And JBB takes the stage. Gonk +1 43

The timing will sometimes glitch out like that.
    Linhares likes this.
  19. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct. Sorry for the confusion.
  20. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Great effort:clap should end the stage in 5th or 6th depending on wether the aussie pulls his finger out :D