2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Ah, good to know.

Plus a set of spare wheels plus your tent, right ???

But you need an awful amount of shit for the Dakar ... Rain cloths...your normal clothing, shoes for the evening, personal hygiene stuff....everything needs to be within the PH box ?
    I have such boxes for "my" events... and I wouldn´t get anything more in it than just my tools and parts (and for Dakar I would even take more with me...) So how do you transport all this necessary equipment as Malle Moto :dunno
  2. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is over here - just ask my neighboogers!
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I wonder how Jonah is doing
  4. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Rally Pan Am FB

Stage 4. We've sent Ian and Scott off onto the first of two marathon stages, where they have no mechanical support for two days (one night). The pilots must take extra care not to damage their bikes. Tonight, they do are not allowed any maintenance time in the Parc Ferme (impound). Service crews drive halfway to Uyuni today, into Bolivia. Then the next day we reunite with the riders in Uyuni.

[​IMG]
    LikeCommentShare
    *kartman* likes this.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    The problem is, unless you have the charm and charisma of someone like Many (#80 Manuel Lucchese), turning up at Dakar with just a Malle Moto truck and a smile is only likely to get you so far, especially in the first week...

All of the assistance teams that attend Dakar are pared to the absolute minimum they consider essential to cover the paying customers they have. Remember that the assistance teams have to pay €9,700 per crew member to take part themselves. Then they have to pay upwards of €3500 per vehicle they take too.

If you've got a team lined up in the background 'just in case', then you might as well make it easy on yourself and get them to do the work each night anyway - while you do you best to eat, do your road book, and sleep - you'll need it!

Of course as the rally progresses, inevitably riders drop out and assistance teams tend to have a little spare capacity - but at the same time, their mechanics are getting tired, and their stock of service and spares depleted - so while you might be able to call on a degree of good will for a simple job, you are likely to end up paying top dollar if you want them to take over for you.

There are no cheap ways to enter Dakar, and it would be a very fine line to tread to try and blag your way through the bivouac.

Jx
    Rato Molhado and *kartman* like this.
  6. wasabi46

wasabi46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even though o lot of eyes are looking at Seb for the win I am curious to see at least who ends ahead... Seb or Mirko :D
  7. Lupine128

Lupine128 That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer:
    Man, that was an impressive ride by Kevin.
    He's doing an awesome job, and looks to be keeping his head.
    Following him with great interest.
  8. Iron Horse

Iron Horse I Make Shit Up

Oddometer:
    What's your opinion on the cutoff time for flogging? I mean the top 8 right now are all within 8 mins of JBB. Is Svitko's time that much easier on the bike on specials of this length?
    maat likes this.
  9. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Fixed
    garfey likes this.
  10. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    They were losing time relative to the other Gordini but provisionally 18th on the stage at the last way point so pretty well? Being driven around by an 18 year old racing driver however could be rough on the nerves
    BurtDakarax likes this.
  11. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com
    Joan Barreda (Honda) dominated this stage throughout to claim victory at the end of today's 430 km timed section. The official Honda team's Spanish rider was in a class of his own, beating teammate Paulo Gonçalves by 1'49" and Kevin Benavides (Honda) by 4'26".
  12. Iron Horse

Oddometer:
    And Loeb has gained some time back, about :30, at WP6.
  13. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    From Michela Poulter via FB:

This has turned into a completely bizarre Dakar. I think we're so used to the insane heat and humidity that there's no point complaining about it. But the RAIN.... The closer we move to Bolivia the weather is steadily getting worse and the rain is relentless. Naturally the team just hopped into our rain suits and happily carried on. Like it's totally normal to have to walk/slide along the tarpaulin otherwise your slops kick up a stream of water all over your bum. It's safer to go barefoot but someone found a hairy tarantula near their toolbox so barefoot ain't an option over here.
    The drivers were happy with the days stage. Giniel and Dirk lost 25 seconds to a slow puncture so finished 4th in the stage , they are now 2nd overall for the Rally.
    Leeroy and Rob started off brilliantly getting to the first waypoint 2nd quickest then decided to ease off and pace themselves for the long race ahead. This is only stage 3 of 13 after all. So they ended 7th for the day's stage and are 6th overall. Still a very proud, very wet physio wifey here. Please spare a thought for our amazing mechanics and engineers who have to camp tonight in a flooded Bivouac.

[​IMG]
    Sundowner, garfey, *kartman* and 2 others like this.
  14. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    I don't think there is a timeframe on it . I bet there are riders who can be smooth and match his time, but given his reputation as being rough on the equipment if he's been on a bike for more than say 30 or 40 seconds I might consider to be flogged :D
    Jimmy the Heater likes this.
  15. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Walkner in 12th - he is surpising me a little (the wrong way) - I for one was expecting more from him?

Yes its still early days and he was only 4 mins down today, infact the first 20 or so were within 6 mins, which is only 2 top 10 start gaps and really unheard of in Dakar, or even the FIM series - its really weired out there, maybe the conditions are setting a similar pace across the top 20 or so?
  16. Iron Horse

Oddometer:
    Not unlike someone else we know? :augie
  17. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    A quick word from me... it's been silent (again), but often (like today) that means I'm busy.

Today I noticed (again hehe) that there are timing glitches. Sometimes it looks like if waypoints are copied to the next waypoint before clearing them to enter the new results. Because of this the overviews get "polluted" with wrong data. In the live monitor you will notice this with highlighting colors.

I can imagine it scares people "Wth? Top 3 lost 15 minutes?! What happened??". You all know Dakar longer than today and maybe it doesn't scare you this much anymore, but I optimized some parts of the site and this should happen less often now. Another step ahead :lol3 a small one... hehe....
  18. Iron Horse

Oddometer:
    I wonder about his hip...
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  19. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's no rule against leading a rival down the garden path that I know of. That's not nearly as weaselly as begging for help getting out of a mud hole then hauling butt, leaving your rescuer bogged down.
  20. 8340SU

8340SU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Faria is in. 3rd + 4'24