2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve.
    Radar may be rider's note for speed?

Faria is running that roadbook since the new RFR came in public. It was (is?) supposed to be KTM's own RB unit. It's all encaplulated in own unit which has + and - . It shows at which length KTM goes to test the equipment before using it. The other rider with that unit who I have seen is Viladoms. The internals are really wierd too. Especially the shafts.
    Switchgear is new, I've seen it in FB too in another bike I think. Designed to suit factory riders. You break the toggle and the whole block goes to trash :lol2
  2. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Speedy FB

Victory and leadership in stage marathon
    Paulo Gonçalves continues to show why to be one of the main favorite riders to victory in the ‪#‎dakar2016‬, having today the best time in demanding "special" timed in San Salvador de jujuy, fought above 3.500 metres Altitude. The Portuguese pilot's out in front and led the navigation to the end, leading now the general classification of proof with advantage 2 min17s for the 2. th placed.
    Stay tuned!
    ‪#‎Speedynodakar‬
    Automatically Translated
    [​IMG]
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  3. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    So no breakdowns due to saltwater yet ?
  4. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    2) Any speeding recorded by the GPS will be penalisedby the Clerk of Course depending on the following penalties:

 between 1 and 15 kph: 1 minute x the number of impulsions + fine of €100;
     between 16 and 40 kph: 2 minutes x the number of impulsions + fine of €200;
     more than 40 kph: 1 st impulsion : 5 minutes + fine of €300;
    2nd successive impulsion: 10 minutes + a fine of €500;
    3rd successive impulsion: 15 minutes + a fine of €700;
    4th successive impulsion: 60 minutes + a fine of €1,500.

In looking at the penalties, to get a 5 minute penalty, he must have been snagged at 40kph over the limit. Stupid, unnecessary mistake.
    homerj, Rato Molhado, ferals5 and 3 others like this.
  5. doyle

Oddometer:
    It's these little mistakes that dog him and his chances of winning.
    640 Armageddon and yardracer like this.
  6. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Patience, my dear.....patience.....:D
    *kartman* likes this.
  7. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Santosh

[​IMG]

Espana

[​IMG]

Cornejo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peugeot
    [​IMG]
    RumRunner, Rato Molhado and Linhares like this.
  8. 8340SU

8340SU Long timer

Oddometer:

Or not. Speedy must be furious....

Tomorrow he will open the track and BB still has Faria and Kevin traces to find his way....
    Rato Molhado and maat like this.
  9. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know how they are doing it this year, but my year, the beginning of speed zones within the special stage had sentinel warnings for speeding programmed... and it was pretty tricky to get slowed down in the time given if you used the sentinel and if you weren't paying sharp attention, it was easy to overrun. I was sure I'd blown it a couple times, nothing came of it, but I'm sure they aren't paying the same attention to backmarkers.

Anyway, will be interesting to hear if they changed something, or are enforcing more closely this year, or if he's just making bonehead moves. I think any of the 3 are possible, or even all three.
  10. daryl

daryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think you're wrong, but according to the rule book it's not Parc Fermé today:

Note no mention of Stage 4 or the 6th January

However this contradicts with what's in Dakar.com live comments

I guess we'll find out what actually happens later / tommorow
  11. neduro

Oddometer:
    I am curious for some opinions from our European friends- has interest in the race changed with the new route?

It seems to me like on one hand, Dakar is about adversity and adventure and whether it is a rainforest or a desert, that will be supplied. On the other hand, part of the mystique to me was the totally alien landscapes of North Africa (and then of South American deserts)... the terrain we are seeing this year so far is not very alien. It looks like it could be lots of places in the world, if it chose to rain hard that day there.

Does that affect interest in the race as a whole do you think?
    Carlos M, homerj, Uller and 3 others like this.
  12. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Does each racer need to check in to service/parc ferme/bivouac at a certain time or minute?

Similar to competition stage rally/rallymoto?

If yes, could JBB or others be speeding to get ahead of some downtime/stoppage to work on the bike during the liaison? Knowing they will get hit with a penalty which is less than a tire that is toast/shot.
  13. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    SYLVAIN MADE IT!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap
  14. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sylvain is in on his 125 Husky
  15. neduro

Oddometer:
    Reading between the lines: Service is allowed on liaison wherever the service route and the race route overlap. In 2012, we had a marathon stage, the bikes were not in parc ferme (and Elf was there to supply oil and tools, etc- I did an oil change and an air filter as Tim did every other night), but the factory boys all met their crews along the liaison and got a full service done roadside before carrying on.

Based on RMS posts (but I haven't studied very hard) I don't think that opportunity exists this year... does that mean everyone is expected to put 2 days on oil/ air filter/ etc? Or do their own service along those lines on liaison?

I sort of liked watching engines get swapped by factory guys in the bivouac. The Parc Ferme approach is non-plussing to me.
    Rato Molhado and Deadly99 like this.
  16. daryl

daryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, in my mind there's a certain (albeit temporary) levelling of the field when the aliens have to do their own repairs.
    *kartman* likes this.
  17. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with 8340SU... to me it appears Barreda is playing a calculated game... getting the glory of the stage win (twice now), but then getting bumped back a few minutes each day (as he knows how close the top runners are), so that he can pick them off once more during the following stage, and win again.

While that might not be considered 'smart' in the traditional sense, I'd say he's definitely playing the rules to his advantage at the moment - he's still less than 4 minutes behind the leader in the overall standings ;o)

Jx
    Rato Molhado and maat like this.
  18. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with Neduro, let the riders work on the bikes.
    But block the factory guys from getting any access to their teams on the liaison. That isn't in the spirit of a marathon stage.
  19. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you remember the sampling rates? I seem to remember they said speed was only recorded every 30 seconds.
  20. doyle

Oddometer:
    From the rulebook, no specific date mentioned but tonight's bivouac is essentially parc ferme rules which is different from the more traditional (at least for recent years) marathon stage bivouacs where the riders are allowed to maintain their own bikes.