2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the mystery of Dakar. All the attention goes to the top three for every stage but success has little to do with limelight. Walkner isn't making headlines during the stages but look where he is in the overall, almost one minute ahead of Toby, and in fine shape for the finish line.
  2. Cactus Dave

Cactus Dave Born to Argue

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the extensive Marathon/Moto Malle explanations. One clarification please:
    In Moto Malle, a rider only gets one extra set of wheels with tires mounted for the entire rally? Thus, only two sets of tires (original set on bike at start +spare set mounted and being carried by the Org) for the entire rally? No additional replacement tires are permitted for Moto Malle riders? If a third front or rear is added, they are removed from the class? I understand engine swaps and assistance, but tires? Over 5,000+km?

Cheers,

Dave
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

If a guy isn't using his road book (aka just following someone else) would he not be aware of the upcoming speed zone?
  4. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, they are basically running everything for two straight stages. Should be very interesting as none of the current crop of 450's or rally specific special bikes have been run over two days without at least rider maintenance. That said, not sure what this really accomplishes but withdrawals have been light and perhaps the ASO needs this to start thinning out the herd.
  5. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    tires can be changed
    Cactus Dave likes this.
  6. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Rebel X Sports FB

Day 5 - Connection 200km | Special Stage 429km
    The winner of the stage was Joan Barreda, but for the second time a Speeding penalty of 5min put him in 4th in the OA. So the winner is Paulo Goncalves. The rally continue to be a wet competition, and the altitude of the SS, plus few mountain picks, don't make it easy for the motorcycle category. This is the first part of the Marathon stage and Manuel rode preserving the bike. Nothing change for the males category since he's the rider and the mechanic, but tomorrow is another long day. Manuel is the 7th Yamaha in the OA. Counting that the first 4 are Official, we're not doing that bad...
    Day Stage
    1 - Paulo Gonçalves | Honda HRC Racing > 04:07:19
    69 - Manuel Lucchese | Yamaha Rebel > 05:02:56
    Variation > 00:55:37
    Overall Ranking
    1 - Paulo Gonçalves | Honda HRC Racing > 10:35:37
    53 - Manuel Lucchese | Yamaha Rebel > 12:09:59
    Variation > 01:34:42

[​IMG]
  7. ericrat

ericrat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am reading this right? Laia picked up about 35 minutes between WP9 and 10?
  8. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I recall Chavo complaining about the speeding. He told me on numerous occasions he'd be right at the limit only to have the factory guys fly past, speed warning buzzers buzzing, like he was standing still. They rarely received the penalties.
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  9. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    No sign of Corky and a few other guys at WP10 (or at the finish)... ? :hmmmmm
  10. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Robby finishes 10th today. Receives 1h04m penalty?!!
  11. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    I've been watching Gordon for years as most of us have. I'm drawing a conclusion that it the acceleration from the 4 wheel drive machines in loose or muddy conditions that is doing the Gordinis in. I'm utterly convinced that the Minis and and the rest of the 4X4s can't match the Gordini's suspension, but they give up that advantage in a thousand short bursts of acceleration of the 4Xs.
  12. daryl

daryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    France4 is just starting
    yardracer likes this.
  13. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably got some of the time back she spent helping an injured rider. I'm just guessing, of course. :-)
  14. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Stopped to help a fallen rider (#51) - she'll be awarded the stopped time back...

Jx
  15. cameron110

cameron110 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She stopped to help a rider who was down, she should get the time stopped back.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a missed waypoint to me... maybe he was cutting the course after all?

Jx
  17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    205'd

206'd!

Jx
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  18. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.

Oddometer:
  19. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Suits me; I'm tired of seeing those boxy little "girls' cars!"

Catch a break? Catch a break!!!
    Keep doing the same thing, keep paying for it! :deal :pep
    homerj, yardracer and 640 Armageddon like this.
  20. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I think the Africa Race definately has the more "romanticized" traditional image of the Western Sahara... even if most of the routes are similar (repetitions) to those of years past... and largely on the "fringes" to the west of the continent... the marathon stages acoss the "interior" of the Sahara (Mali, Niger, Chad)... are a thing of the past.

If "pinging" the radar traps in order to cop a small time penalty, and start in second or third spot on the following leg - in order to make up time on the next stage - is a conscious tactic, or just the "luck of the draw"... I dunno. But it is paying off at the moment.

What happens as the "penalty's" for recurring infringements get heavier - also needs to be considered.

The Gordini has romped away from the 4x4's in the chopped up off piste stuff in the past... but loses to the 4x4's in the WRC gravel and the big dunes (despite bigger wheel diameter and self inflation - problem with 2WD is, you don't get any second chances if you make a bad line choice... the 4x4's just make it that bit easier to claw up the soft faces, and with airjacks, and sand ladders - they can ofter recover themselves easier even if/when they do bury it.
    yardracer likes this.