2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell that to the Peugeots! :lol3
    homerj, cross-country and Deadly99 like this.
  2. too old

too old Keen supporter

Oddometer:
    Pele Renet - bad bang to the head and he's out and in hospital - he's had a tough entry into rally, I recall he crashed out in Morroco also.
  3. 8340SU

8340SU Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. e900naestrada

e900naestrada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me see if understand.
    All bikes carry a GPS onboard that register a log each 30 seconds, and at the end of the stage, someone of the organization collect this data and process.
    If encounter 1 logs registering speeding - between 1 and 5kmh over the limit - the pilot will be penalized in 1 min, and if are 2 log registers speeding - between 6 and 10kmh over the limit - the pilot will be penalized in 4 min.
    Is that?
  5. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was watching Cyril claw his way past the Toyotas. I didn't really expect to see him get by Roma, though. Roma lost some pretty big time in the last segments; until then it was going to be very close between them with Cyril closing but maybe not quite fast enough. Exciting to watch on the tracker, for sure, and today was really just a fantastic day for the Peugeot team.

And, the 'old' car being driven by Romain Dumas is at least running steadily around 25th. Heck, now he's ahead of Robby Gordon. :)
    cameron110 and Deadly99 like this.
  6. daryl

daryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    e900naestrada and Linhares like this.
  7. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My thoughts are with Honda. :D They should be getting some lessons from the French. The guys have made a hell of a car this year.
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  8. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.

Oddometer:
    #fastindian makes it in, but almost 3hrs down. I wonder what kind of trouble he ran into.

056 - SANTOSH CHUNCHUNGUPPE SHIVASHANKAR(IND)
    SUZUKI 450 RMZ
    +02:45:06 (125)

I think 051 - Renet and 109 - Cola have already been reported out, so looks like we are waiting on five more today?

144 - OSWALDO BURGA(PER)
    134 - JAMIE SMITH(GBR)
    051 - PIERRE ALEXANDRE RENET(FRA)
    116 - CHRISTOPHER CORK(GBR)
    108 - JULIO ANO(FRA)
    135 - NICOLAS MONNIN(CHE)
    109 - FEDERICO EDUARDO COLA(ARG)
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  9. sidewayz_control

sidewayz_control Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would see that happening, I've done similar things like clocking 1 second before busting our ideal minute at the start of a time control to force the start marshal to bump our start time one minute later so we can get and extra minute gap for the dust to settle from the car in front of us. So no time penalty and 1 minute extra gap of clean(er) air in front you.

Tactics all played within the rules.

Ivan
  10. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, not mine. My "Steve" knows to take the empties to the recycling yard and the dead couches to Ghost Rancho for the bonfire. Could use the tractor, though.
    yardracer likes this.
  11. e900naestrada

e900naestrada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great!
    Thanks by the class.
  12. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Waiting to speak with people on the ground, but seems that they were very close with Cornejo at WP1. Either way he complained before about the engine, I hope it's not anything terminal. Once he reaches the bivvy I should get some news.
    theantipaul, sick_boy and LlelP like this.
  13. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Barreda needs to be careful because theoretically three speeding fines is disqualification> It does say that it's kinda at discretion in the rules but still, if he got three and I was KTM I'd push like mad to get him DQ'd.

The stupid thing is he must be doing it for position because the GPS goes nuts when you hit the Radius of the speed zone too fast. It near blows your head off.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    The Peugeot show
    The Peugeot armada dealt a huge blow to its rivals at the end of an amazing first half of the marathon stage. Stéphane Peterhansel won ahead of teammates Carlos Sainz and Sébastien Loeb. Nasser Al-Attiyah (Mini) finished in fourth place, preventing Cyril Despres from completing the Lion's whitewash by 57 seconds. In the motorcycle category, Paulo Gonçalves (Honda) finished behind Joan Barreda, but he was named the victor after his team leader was again caught speeding and penalised. The Portuguese rider also moved to the top spot in the classification.
    What a day! It was clear from the first checkpoint of the special that the Peugeot armada was looking to strike its rivals hard. Al-Attiyah (Mini) and Loeb were neck-and-neck, but Peterhansel beat both of them in the first sector. The next checkpoint saw the record holder extend his margin to just over a minute on Loeb, with Sainz climbing up to sixth place. The Spaniard continued his resurgence in the penultimate sector and finished behind his two teammates. After turning in a monster performance in the final sector, Sainz came within 11 seconds of a Peterhansel in top shape. Loeb came in third, 27 seconds back.

The display of authority would have turned into a full-blown rout had Al-Attiyah (Mini) failed to beat Despres to fourth place, but any lingering doubts about the all-round performance of the Peugeot DKR 2008 have been smashed to pieces. Just one question remains: how reliable is the car? The final 642 km of the first marathon stage will tell tomorrow.

"Our work is paying off" Peterhansel

"It's very good news. Our engines have been fine-tuned to work much better at altitude this year. It helps us drive properly, the car's well balanced. It's the first Dakar special I win for Peugeot, it's nice. We worked hard all year, but aren't too proud yet because we know we weren't able to carry out all the tests we wanted, and it's just the third day of racing. We had a good special, with no navigational mistakes and a high pace from the beginning. Our work is paying off."

"No way I could follow Seb" Nasser

"It ain't easy. I did my best to attack, but you just can't keep up with the Peugeots. You had to be careful, it's a marathon stage and you can't change anything apart from the tyres. You can wash the car, but you can't make mistakes... I tried to, but there was no way I could follow Seb. His car is really fast."

MOTO:
    In the motorcycle category, Joan Barreda's failure to learn from yesterday's mistake ruined what was otherwise an awe-inspiring ride. The official Honda rider seized the lead at CP1 and racked up one fastest time after the other. Gonçalves, his teammate, was the only one who managed to keep up with the winner. Unfortunately for the Spaniard, he was caught speeding again, costing him the stage win and the overall lead. The 5-minute penalty pushes him to third position, behind Argentina's Benavides.
    QUAD:
    Argentinian Marcos Patronelli, a two-time winner in the quad category, was untouchable today, leading from start to finish and claiming the win by 16 seconds over Alexis Hernández. Chile's Ignacio Casale remains in the overall lead with a margin of over 12 minutes on the closest chaser, Brazilian Marcelo Medeiros.
    tserts and Deadly99 like this.
  15. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:

That's what Chavo said, the buzzing drives you crazy but then the factory guys would just cruise on past without incurring any wrath of the ASO. Seems an odd way to sandbag time though. I would think it would be more prudent (and perhaps easier to judge) to hang back in the stage
    DudaRO and 640 Armageddon like this.
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Interesting to hear Nasser's comments on the Peugeot.
    Rato Molhado and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  17. too old

too old Keen supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be surprised, I believe he may be on a reasonable bonus for stage wins, although a couple of years ago I'm sure he was on a big bonus for coming 2nd, but he pissed that away also - maybe he doesn't need the dosh? :D:loco
  18. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I suppose so. I assume the riders have a way of knowing their stage finish times and the time of those around them. I guess they could always check the tracker and then make the calculated move to speed on the liaison.
  19. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    TSC’s Stage 4 - ”salty Jujuy loop” F5 wrap up:

Today on the F5 play by play we discussed the differences between the Malle Moto (hard core - limited DIY servicing out of a rally box by the rider) class and the Marathon motorcycle category (marked and seal parts of the motorcycle which may not be replaced during the course of the competition. Ie. Do a whole DAKAR on the same engine/chassis, suspension and wheel set… change tyres/airfilers/engine oil and tighten the bolts for 10,000 km’s).

We also pulled out the old digital versus paper roadbook debate and beat it around the ears for abit…

There was the usual tracking of the peleton through the various WP’s… with a great effort by the Honda team out at the front… The Mattighofen crew were playing chase today… but HRC come away with the top three spots in the General Classification of the moto division after the 4th days competition. Impressive.

We also discussed the ramifications of the marathon bivouac and the implications of "parc ferme" and what they have with regards to the amount of (limited) time the riders have to service the bikes, before entering the bivouac impound.

In the Auto category team PUG put on a formation frontal assault at the head of the field reminiscent of the all conquering CITRÖEN team of yore… or more recently the VW RedBull team. 1, 2,3 and 5th on the stage today… can’t say anything but – wow!

[​IMG]

For all concerned (moto’s and auto’s) the real DAKAR started today… hopefully we will not see further shortened/abbreviated stages for the remainder of week one through to the rest day, and the real tactical battle of the competitors and their machines against the terrain and elements will give us some great racing in the next couple of days.
  20. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    But how and why can it be te PUGs are getting it done?
    homerj and Deadly99 like this.