2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    I spoke to Darryl Curtis a while back, and IIRC he explained that if the buzzer is intermittent (beep - beep- beep) , it means you are close to the limit. If it goes constant to a few seconds (beeeeeep), you are about to get a penalty, and only if you don't back off is the penalty actually imposed. So the factory guys would blit along with their buzzers bleeping intermittently all the time.
    Does that sound right, or do I remember incorrectly?
    nry and 640 Armageddon like this.
  2. Moto Benny in MTL

Moto Benny in MTL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A bit of insight into the speed zone thing (I raced the Dakar in a car 4 times). The buzzing when you enter the warning zone for a speed zone is really loud and a distinct sound unlike the other beeps and buzzes the GPS puts out - if you set the volume loud enough it will give you a heart attack. The GPS has a setting where you can choose one of two modes for the warning - the first setting (I think it's called performance mode) only buzzes when you're within 2 kmh of the speed limit. The second setting buzzes when you're within 5 kmh (I think it's called safe mode). On liason, you want the performance setting because you're constantly in a speed zone and it's a lot more fun to do the liason at 118 kmh with no noise than at 114 kmh with no noise. (You could turn off the volume but it's very easy to drift over the speed limit on liason). Often, we'd forget to put it back to safe mode for the specials and it's very easy, in the heat of the moment as you scream into a village in the middle of nowhere, to not hear the alarm or see the warning lights.

Another aspect is that often you're hung up in someone's dust cloud for 20-30 min and you see a speed zone coming up in the roadbook. The warning zone is actually a good place to pass because many mid-pack people will brake at the first chirp of the GPS, giving you 200 m to make a quick pass. You then have the ridiculous situation of driving 50 kmh right in front of the person you passed as you go through the village - if you drop to 48, they'll try to pass! We've actually made the decision to incur a speed penalty just to get around someone who refuses to hear the sentinel (usually Russian!).

When you get into the Biv at night, the very first thing is that the ERTF (GPS team) meet you and look at your GPS to see 1) if you have any speed penalties logged and 2) if you have any missing waypoints. It's a magical moment for the co-driver when that check screen is all zeros! If you do have any missed WP or speed penalties, you're pulled over and they write you up. That page goes to the clerk of the course, who then comes around to visit you and collect money (if it's a speed zone). This last part is where I don't see how ASO can play favourites on speed penalties - there are so many people involved, there's paperwork and most importantly it's in their interest to be very strict on speeding - speed zones are actually quite rare within the specials (unfortunately more common in Argentina because there isn't as much wide open space as in the other countries) and when they're there it's for a very good reason.

OK - more than you ever wanted to know about this but hope it helps!
  3. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, bang bang is 3 minutes approx. behind Speedy in the GS.
    Say that tomorrow he shaves off the three minutes and because he will win the stage he takes another penalty of 5 minutes. Can't see this as a strategy because yes, he starts behind, but unless he manages to shave off the difference and keep the penalty that he will get in mind to push much harder to increase the gap then the strategy will backfire. Coupling that with KTM studying every little paragraph of the rulebook as we speak I see that he will make a mess again... It's very early to judge, but I can't see it working out for him this way.
  4. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Quite good report at France 4 !

I noticed 2 things while watching:

-there was obviously no saltlake with knee-high corrossive water ?!
    -there was a guy with brand new tires/wheels on a barrow getting his tires sealed by the parc ferme orga staff ?!?!?!

WHY :scratch Others need to change the air filter on the liaison ... maybe some riders are "more equal" than others ?
  5. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to find any picture of him......
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  6. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have no way to check times during the stage. The GPS has nothing and communication is banned with the teams. The only way to really guesstimate is at fuel checks when you can see how much sooner people leave the check than you, or if you catch them on the stage.

You can change wheels in Marathon.
    New_Folder likes this.
  7. auguzt

auguzt get on with it

Oddometer:
    It was Speedbrain that complained against Sam while he was on a HRC Honda
  8. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with you there - like a criminal returning to the scene of the crime, or the lure of doing 'just one more job', there is a danger if he keeps it up he will get sloppy...

I think yesterday was exactly as he'd planned, but today he might have be surprised he got 5 mins rather than just one or two he was hoping for?

If he was smart, he should play it straight now for a few days perhaps, then see where he is in the overall standings come rest day?

Jx
  9. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  10. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nearly - it was Abu Dhabi, Sam was on a Honda and it was Wolfgang (Speedbrain at the time 2 weeks before he joined Honda) - Sam had just riden the last 50k with his exhaust in 2 pieces and after the stage and timing, got the mechanics to check the bike and then entered the course the wrong side of the last marker flag to join the liaison. Wolfgang made a complaint and got Sam a 10 min penalty that cost him the rally. When Wolfgang joined the team a few weeks later the air was a little frosty to say the least :permazot
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    4 absolutely top notch drivers... two of them - the best WRC pilots ever - the other two; amongst the best Dakar pilots (2 and 4 wheels) ever... they spent a year going back to the drawing board, ditching the CAD design teams turd Vers 1.0 of last year... went back to their roots and created a new vehicle that is as purpose built.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: if it was permitted by the rules... the red ZX (at top), with a few tweaks and some new generation dampers on each corner...

would still kick ass and take names today.
  12. BurtDakarax

BurtDakarax RIP Hubert Auriol

Oddometer:
    Sort of, but there are some regional differences.

Basically its motorcycles (moto) plus....
    If youre 'merican its bikes (esp USA bikes) plus Robby.
    If you're ze Russionz (are comingz), its Kamaz plus bikes +Kamaz+Kamaz+Kamaz+Kamaz etc...
    If you Dutch, its Trucks +Bikes+Buggies+ATV's+quads+Cars+Trucks+Anyone with a funny english accent quoting monty python +trucks(did i mention +trucks?)
    If you're English, its bikes +anyone with a vaguely english sounding name + anyone with nochance but aplucky spirit(not incl french)
    If You're Ozzie its anyone/thing Ozzie
    si vous etes French, its our race and you will do as we say+anyone french or who speaks like they do in Allo-Allo=+Stephane+Cyril & now +Loeb.
    If you're Argentine, its actually our race now and we are all completely bonkers about anyone who turns up or can even spell Dakar +quads quads quads
    If you're Spanish, its Laia+anyone who speaks spanish( so that makes it our race, cos more pipl spik spanish than anyting )+Laia etc
    If you're Polish/Slovak/Latvia/Czech/Romanian/East european its anyone/anything that beats any russian(esp Kamaz)(see Dutch).
  13. daryl

daryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What link are you using for France4? I can't see the magic HD button anywhere on the www.france4.fr streams.
  14. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    What about us Sauerkrauts ?

http://oklivetv.com/france-4-live/
    yardracer likes this.
  15. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, I like Nasser. I'm a Peugeot fan so I'm rooting for them, but not only is he highly skilled but he generally has a good disposition and doesn't badmouth anyone. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I have a lot of respect for him. There are some drivers that are pretty widely seen as being jerks... he's not on that list, at least not as far as I'm concerned. I hope he comes in 5th right behind the Peugeots. :)
  17. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:imaposer
    dooby likes this.
  18. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com
    15:53
    A
    resurgent
    Al-Attiyah?

At the beginning of the race, Nasser Al-Attiyah (Mini) told anyone who would listen that he was not afraid of the Peugeot, the defending champion has since had reason to reconsider his words. Unable to keep up with the DKR 2008 on the tracks of the first specials despite having a four-wheel drive, the two-time Dakar champion is certainly looking forward to the first navigational traps. Today, the profile of the second half of the marathon stage should meet his expectations. While the Loeb-Elena duo could suffer, Peterhansel is no novice and has Jean-Paul Cottret at his side. Long story short: the time has come for Al-Attiyah to react, and quick!

[​IMG]
    15:29
    Jujuy—Uyuni:
    the
    marathon
    draws
    to
    a
    close

Crossing the border into Bolivia is not the only thing that makes the second half of the marathon stage stand out. The altitude will push man and machine alike to the limit. The Dakar is set to make a foray above 4,600 m above sea level for the first time ever. At a length of 642 km (including a 328 km special), this stage will be a gruelling experience. To cap it all, this will be the first stage with navigation at its heart. Headaches await…
    homerj and troy safari carpente like this.
  19. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Regarding the peugeots succes. It could be cool to see some of the older 205 T16´s on the WRC style tracks. I do recall when they won(86/87 i think) they were not build for the Dakar. They entered because of the Grp B rally rule change. Something about "to much power"....though i dont get that part. But hey, i´m still hanging on the thought of the old LC8 platform.

This year is still a blast to follow the Dakar.
  20. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Nasser always tries to stay on good terms with most of the factory teams...

... he may want to drive their car next year... :brow:nod