2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Kellon called me at a gas stop on the liaison at the end of Stage 2. He was concerned about something else. I don't know what the big penalty was for, but it could be what he called me about on Stage 2. Sometimes it takes a day or more for penalties to show up. I posted this image after they finished the day because I was surprised no penalty had shown up.
    NoPenalty.png
    stuckthrottle likes this.
  3. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like all the return to lower elevation whizzo ideas in that article!! If you are working up there for days the option of just popping down the hill a wee bit doesn't really make much sense ! lol
    Scientifically proven or not I don't give a shit , it worked !
    When I arrived in Cuzco the family I was going to be working with picked me up from the airport , i couldn't speak Spanish and they couldn't speak English , I hopped in the truck and the very first stop heading out of town was some small shop were one of the guys hopped out and grabbed a bag of leaves for me and made the motion to chew . They knew it worked so who was I to argue with locals who lived there .
    garfey, Sundowner, *kartman* and 2 others like this.
  4. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw the same clip. Didn't seem excessive given its a mid engine car and the wheel travel they have plus it didn't seem like the ass end hiked up. I'd guess there isn't any significant camber or tow gain in the design either. It's a mid engine car so even with the noticeable dive weight transfer shouldn't be excessive.
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  5. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not right publicizing you have inside info but won't share...
    Uller, rides2little, Deadly99 and 3 others like this.
  6. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Long day on the stage today, but I just got back to the biv, got food, got kids to bed, dug through 30 pages of F5, did some exercise so I'm not quite as soft for the first ride of the year, and now it's time to work on the roadbooks :). I didn't seem to get as many slow claps as Chris Cork, however..... ;)

Man busy day, but I can't help thinking that the Manny Shoe is about to drop. Only a handful of moto withdrawals so far, little challenging nav, and now they're going to 15,000 ft after being at what, 13,500 ft today? That's pretty brutal. I believe the FAA mandates supplemental Oxygen for any flights between 12,500 ft - 14,000 ft that last for more than 30 minutes, and full time above 15,000 ft. Those altitudes are no joke, and I cringed reading about Manny blacking out and crashing (as well as Renet :( ). What a crap situation to go into a Marathon stage with.

Laia illustrates again why we love her. That's the only change I'd make to Burt Dakarax's list ;)

Our USA USA USA moto dudes are riding well and smart, I'm impressed with everybody. I'd love to hear how Scott's hands are doing with all the aftermarket parts in them.

Robby drops big time. Again.

Loved Casteau's quote about how the darned youngsters were so fast :gerg.

I'd be curious what happened to Duclos today... did I miss that? 5th place to 10th place....

BTW, you remember that Manny had to leave his shoes behind and wear his moto boots onto the plane because he was over the baggage weight limit.... :deal

Fun to watch these trends. Somebody want to do one with HRC and KTM factory pilots? ;)
    upload_2016-1-6_22-5-10.png

And finally, somebody let me in on this joke. Why are there so many 1150GS avatars?
    [​IMG]
  7. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    You want course maps, or you want sketchy details that might be incorrect on one penalty, pick one! I shared the inside info that I got a phone call. I'll also share that it had nothing to do with mapping. Isn't that enough? :)
    homerj and Rato Molhado like this.
  8. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Deadly99 likes this.
  9. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Im hearing ya!
    Slept at 4200 meters ... Well didnt really sleep. Cerebral adema hit me bad climbing at 6000 m one step is like lifting 40 kilos . Appetite is lost , cant drink ,super massive headache!!! I had to go down ,very dissapionting. Sleeping at that level only became bad after an hour of being there going up and up over 5500 made it difficult and unbearable afterthat.
    Atleast riding you are not expending huge amounts of energy, no doubt you'd feel it but not as bad as climbing , where your also stuck in a spot and can't just gas it outta there. Love to see if that theory is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *kartman* likes this.
  10. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    sketchy details. It's all quite on the Dakar front, through us a bone.
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  11. athens01

athens01 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Loeb used O2 for his pikes peak run so I'm sure they'd use it if legal. Are they drug tested for Dakar? There are those fantastic old old pix of Tour de France riders hitting a cigarette before hill climbs. Not sure what the science was on that...something about shocking lung cells to open up? Maybe folklore or Maybe it was just for sponsors.
  12. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Concerning the altitude. Why anyone wouldn't being taking Diamox is beyond me.
  13. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is the default, change it!!!!!
  14. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

Troy to the bat phone:

'Do they drug test racers in dakar'

What drug testing regime are they under?
  15. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know if there are actual test but yes they are susceptible to testing. Can't recall the program/standard but in 2012 we were given a booklet with details and prohibited substances and required to sign a form stating we understood, were in compliance and could be randomly tested.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  16. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

Wada?
  17. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    This plus 1000. Robbie is losing time to the Pugs . The Pugs are built on a similar philosophy to Robbie's trucks. 2 Wheel Dr. , lots of travel, more speed in rough terrain . But it seems that the Pugs have figured out a way to also win the WRC stages too. Robbie was losing time to the stage leader (Peterhansel) . But gaining positions in the stage. That tells me that he was faster than the Minis , but slower than the Pugs. This could be very bad news for Robbie . In the past he owned wide-open stages (barring incident), but now it appears that the Pugs own wide-open stages *and* WRC style stages. It remains to be seen how the Pugs do in the dunes versus Robbie's buggies , but I'm betting that they do pretty well. Robbie may be out classed by Pugs bottomless pit of cash.
    Deadly99, garfey and kaia like this.
  18. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
  20. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Out of the race unfortunately. Damaged tower and at the end short circuiting....
    Waiting updates and details from the team.... :(