2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Tom Coronel being towed by a truck, man he was eating dirt! Horrible! In the F4 broadcast today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eurosport and F4 were both good today.
    *kartman*, ferals5 and 640 Armageddon like this.
  2. athens01

athens01 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But some cars are running AC right? That may help???
  3. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far he isn't gaining anything on the better driven Minis. In speaking with him regarding the move to the Gordini from the Hummer his philosophy was to give up less time to the Minis on the roads and crush them in the desert and dunes. He's not racing just Minis for the lead anymore.

It's obvious he is underfunded compared to other top teams but does pretty darn good given his resources. His car is now old technology. He has developed it from a spec series vehicle and tested it in desert races with no Dakar competitors. Hard to tell where you are against the field if you don't see them till race day.

The Peugeot is the latest greatest thing. It will be interesting how it will compare in the dunes and desert.

There is no doubt the speed of Gordon's Hummer/Gordini cars have influenced Peugeots and others toward the two wheel
    category.
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    To be fair (and to take nothing away from Robby's own driving ability) - I imagine it is as much about the drivers that Peugeot have as the car itself - as someone posted many pages ago, Peugeot have the two best WRC drivers IN THE WORLD driving for them, plus Mr Dakar himself, and an exceptional ex-moto rider who has dominated that category for the past ten years.

More than that, the whole team have worked full-time for 12 months perfecting their car and learning how best to maximise it's performance.

I love Rubby, I really do... but what is it they say about a bad workman...

Jx
  5. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

In what part of eastern europe will a pug with 35inch tyres be marketed?

they still like 13inch wheels leto alone 35inch tyres :)

whereas in the US 35in tyres are far more acceptable and marketable to the general public ($$$$)
  6. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    garf the graveyard keeper wins it :clap:clap:clap:lol3
  7. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't know what happened with Robby but it's a shame that he's out so soon. I share the idea that he can be his own worst enemy with the French and ASO but it also seems like they are out to get him every year. When you think about what he's up against, really the only privateer with a unique design challenging the fat budgets of Mini, Toyota, and Peugeot he really doesn't need to be taken out by the organization. The appearance is that with Robby everything is strictly by the book and enforced while the big teams slide by.
  8. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    OK, I see that, so what's the Yellow and Blue threaded looking bottle thingy? A recycled milk bottle to put your "Checks" in when you pull them off the various Check Points????

Nah, this event is too sophisticated for that....

Great job F5'ers! I've only been late to work (Well my place of employment...) three times this year!!!!
  9. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Dakar both Oxygen and Diamox are both permitted and encouraged. Someone mentioned dehydration a few pages back, that is the biggest challenge in the altitude. You use so much liquid and the problem I had with diamox was it made me piss constantly and only worked if you remembered to take the tiny tablet when the instructions say.

I got really ill from dehydration and had drip at the start of one stage. I think it was Lacunza last year, his body shut down at altitude, he started vomiting and diarrhoea due to exhaustion. I think that was why Walkner went out too?

I don't think anyone uses oxygen in the cars. I wouldn't think having a large highly flammable/explosive tank on board a race car is such a good idea but I may be wrong. Lots of trucks guys were very ill yesterday too.
  10. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    I think they outlawed oxy in cages in 14.
  11. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    35" tires do look perfectly normal on a jeep:

[​IMG]
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Both the FIM and FIA are aligned with the WADA regulations governing drug control in sport. What the specific testing on DAKAR is... i don't know... I do recall (IIRC?) that last year (or before) some riders and drivers were asked to submit urine tests at the administration checks?

As to the other question about O2 oxygen masks/tubes... previously these were banned to be carries by the riders under the reg's (someone can check this for 2016), but regularly some riders were stopping and recieving O2 (on liason over the Andes) from ASO medical staff, support crew vehicles and from official personel at the control points - to combat the altitude fatigue.
    rmhrc628 likes this.
  13. rock_bottom

rock_bottom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Morning guys...first post since I joined though I've been watching the site since the 'salt' stage last year. Must say it's probably the best resource I've found to stay in touch with the race - many thanks to all the contributors and especially the admin guys. Really is informative.
    Just one question (actually there are many...). I have been reading but nothing has been mentioned about ABS on the bikes. Are only Honda using it, cant see any telltale signs on the other bikes? When is it most useful (have never ridden an ABS equipped bike), is it mainly for the liaison stages?
    Pete
  14. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In Honda that is traction control pick ups. Not using Anti block system on the CRFs. Traction improves fuel consumption, which in such a long race can make a difference especially on a thirsty bike.
    timeOday likes this.
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    F5 programming RECAP: "The Jujuy lateshow" - with graveyard garf and the F5 zombies. :clap:thumb:thumb:thumb

Morning f5olks, on the show last night the panel discussed the effect's of altitude sickness while competing on the DAKAR and the various ways to combat it.

The panel also delved deeper into the revolutionaty (should that be revelationary?) rocket to technical supremacy that PEUGEOT has shown over the opening four days of the 2016 DAKAR. Theories as to why RG has slipped in the ranking (what's pe penalty for-gate?) and whether the Gordini platform is outgunned (or is it just the WRC special forces pilots) abound.

Meanwhile Nasser and the X-Raid stormtroopers are line up about a half dozen deep - just off the tabloid headlines - waiting for the REAL DAKAR to start.

Yes good f5olk of the f5 cyber tribe... todays Stage 5 will see the field moving into Bolivia, and the promise of tougher more acidic stages lies ahead! How will the competitors, their bikes and cars cope with the 15,000 ft altitudes and terrain of Bo-bo-bo. liv-liv-liv Bolivia!!!! ?

We shall see later today... :ricky

I will be strapping myself into the SABELT sofa today, f5iring up the old Terra-trip lap top and joining all you nice people for the F5 "play by play" for today's second stanza of the "Jujuy Marathon" stage: SS5 San Salvador de Jujuy - Uyuni

[​IMG] [​IMG]

so buckle up and get yo' DAKAR f5reaky on people!!!!! :happay:rayof:wings
  16. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome RB - KTM were developing and testing a system this year - I don't know if they are using it but can find out :thumb
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  17. rock_bottom

rock_bottom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I presume they can switch it on or off, or dial in the degree of traction they want...or is it always engaged?
  18. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Terence March via FB:

Another Dakar observation......the general admin area situated within the bivouac each night can sometimes be as much as a kilometre from your pits due to the sheer size of this show......with this in mind you need to sometimes forecast when you need to do your paperwork otherwise it could get a bit complicated to say the least!!!

[​IMG]
  19. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Renet's Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/Pela-RENET-423539301120113/

Hello !
    Last news from pela : all his body is a little bit painful, and the end of his back was hurting a lot, but X-rays didn't reveal any fracture. It should be muscular, or a big hematoma..
    His lost of consciousness last a few minutes, and he underwent a head trauma, so he made a scan last night, but nothing was anormal. Nevertheless he was really sore, and really "shaken".. He will need time to really take a rest, and recover from all of this !
    Normally, the repatriation should be planned for tomorrow.
    Pela is obviously extremely disappointed... He gave him 100% to be ready for that race, with the goal to reach the finish line, but that little mistake happened... I know that he will have a lot of comfort reading all your support comments, which will be needed..
    Thank you very much, all of you
    Johanna

Thank fuck for that.
    All the talk about fainting before the fall had even more worried.
  20. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    dakar.com

At the beginning of the race, Nasser Al-Attiyah (Mini) told anyone who would listen that he was not afraid of the Peugeot, the defending champion has since had reason to reconsider his words. Unable to keep up with the DKR 2008 on the tracks of the first specials despite having a four-wheel drive, the two-time Dakar champion is certainly looking forward to the first navigational traps. Today, the profile of the second half of the marathon stage should meet his expectations. While the Loeb-Elena duo could suffer, Peterhansel is no novice and has Jean-Paul Cottret at his side. Long story short: the time has come for Al-Attiyah to react, and quick!

SS5: Jujuy - Uyuni (special stage 327 km / liason 314 km)
    Crossing the border into Bolivia is not the only thing that makes the second half of the marathon stage stand out. The altitude will push man and machine alike to the limit. The Dakar is set to make a foray above 4,600 m above sea level for the first time ever. At a length of 642 km (including a 328 km special), this stage will be a gruelling experience. To cap it all, this will be the first stage with navigation at its heart. Headaches await…

[​IMG]

All round vigilance is required for this second part of the marathon stage: in addition to managing mechanics, particularly the tyres, all the drivers will have to pay attention to their own bodies' reactions. Entry into Bolivia is also marked by an abrupt increase in altitude, rising to 4,600m –the higher point in Dakar's story- during the day's special section. Technically, it is also in this stage that the rally steps up a gear, with the first off-piste sections as well as some navigational gems which might be a headache for some navigators…

FIRST MOTO start SS5 (DSS start)
    • GONCALVES PAULO (PRT)
    08:00:00 ARG local time ://24timezones.com/world_directory/current_buenos_aires_time.php

trackingdakar.nl/live.php