2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    KASUYAHO and Linhares like this.
  2. AndreasM

AndreasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the new tracker, DSS is always shown: http://trackingdakar.nl/live.php?stage=6
    KASUYAHO, Linhares and beechum1 like this.
  3. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Watching the tracks in front of him.
  4. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    misc likes this.
  5. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    There he is, lag on the update. Last time I try to add up numbers !
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Hauling Burro, holding his place on the piste order but made 50 seconds on Gonk at WP1
  7. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    As expected- taking time off everyone again - stage win coming up, but what the penalty going to be today!?
  8. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woops - spoke too soon - Looks like TP is showing them what it's all about!!
  9. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Just an observation..in the leading 7 riders three have numbers in the forties...thats cool
  10. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Toby is fired up this morning... 26 sec's ahead of Bam bam at WP1... and put a minute on Ricky...

you put your wallet away early this year ted... :lol3

(to be fair... Brabec is going quick but as waterboy for HRC and all his rider ahead to shadow - he has no reason to press any harder... TP has to hunt today).
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    TP picked an odd day to attack, risky move what with the unknown of how his body and brain will react to altitude.
  12. garfey

Oddometer:
    Not at the pointy end but I'm glad to see Corky is still in it. Hope he's got enough in the tank to get thru the stage!!!

Go Corky! Giv'er!!!
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Edit: Still wearing his race jersey, btw, and ain't taking it off (well, except for showers) until he's done!
  13. ianofmcmillan

ianofmcmillan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pic of Speedy leaving Villazon among some flags and nice traditional Bolivian patterns.

[​IMG]
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :thumb Very deep MOTO talent pool this year.
    *kartman* likes this.
  15. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Here's a quick story I've only ever shared with my team mate, Dave (ADV inmate Sequent) from the 2014 Oz Safari over a few beers and laughs well after the fact. Seeing as it's a bit quiet while we wait for the day's Stage to really get started, I'll share it with you good folk. So sit down on the floor, legs crossed and don't wipe snot on the kid in front of you......

It was at the wrong end of Day 3 of the Safari. Actually it was Night 3, maybe Morning 4. Most of the Bivouac was asleep or still rebuilding crashed vehicles. I was one of the few zombies still stumbling around in the dark, looking for the pictured facilities. It'd been a big day just done, waking very sore and tired from my Day 1 crash about 5am for a 7.30am start, into a horror stage that will forever be remembered as "The Rock Garden". Surviving the day and returning to the bivouac in the late afternoon, I'd just finished servicing my bike all evening and half arsedly marking my roadbook rolls for Day 4. I was stuffed, but I needed a crap and a shower, in that order, so I could face the next days racing. So off I wandered the couple of hundred metres to the long line of plastic shitter cubicles, found one free, left my shower gear on the ground outside and settled onto the throne with my riding pants around my ankles. I had my brand new Samsung smart phone with me to catch up on messages and read the latest ADV Racing forum news on the race. Anyway, within only about a minute or so seated, happy and warm, I nodded off just enough that the phone slipped out of my relaxed paws, bounced off my thigh, shot down between my legs, into the bowl and landed on the spring loaded trap door. With the sudden realization of what had happened, I jumped up to see the phone slide through the back of the trapdoor and disappear into the holding tank underneath. This caused a huge moment of total mental confusion. That phone meant a lot as it was the one that fitted perfectly inside my race jacket pocket. It was only nine days old. I'd won it in a local competition just before leaving home for the race. Plus it had helped get me back into the race from the hospital the day before. So with cat like reflexes, I pushed the door of the shitter cubicle open, dropped to my knees, poking my rapidly recovered arse out into the breeze and with a small torch and my bare left arm, lifted the seat, stuck my hand into the trapdoor and considered my fishing options. Well, I'm no plumber however I've done some nasty jobs in life. But let me tell you, staring into the brown abyss that is a day old rally shitter is a pretty daunting task. I was immediately amazed at the volume in the tank. There were turds and slop everywhere and not a single trace of my beloved phone. I thought it'd just be sitting on the surface, next to just a few turds. But this must have been the "go-to" shitter for the whole camp. Thirty toilet cubicles in a row and I have to get the one that everyone had used. I certainly didn't plunge my hand into the mess straight away. But just as I was calculating the likely fall trajectory of the Samsung missile, a stream of little bubbles broke the surface like a sign from God. With little concern for what I was about to do, due to the series of rapid events that had led to this moment, I plunged my hand in, sweeping aside the floaters around the bubble trail and snatched up, in one try, my little brown and chrome mate. And with great joy, as if responding to my sudden glee, the little fella flashed it's led screen just once then went into a long burst of vibration mode. It was a sign of life that justified what I'd just done. But the little guy kept vibrating ever onwards, 'til finally it shuddered and died. All I could do was stand in front of the toilets, phone at arms length, pants around my ankles and wonder, "What bloody next?".
    Although thoroughly washed and working fine, it still remains unused by me even today, my little poo phone. It simply remains a true souvenir of my very unsuccessful rally racing career. The guy I won it off asked me months later, "How's that phone going?" "Really well. I carry it every time I go riding", I replied.
  16. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. garfey

Oddometer:
    Yeppers - it's BETTER without The Aliens up front!
    (IMO, of course)
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I always use Gonks time as a measuring stick. He is fast as fuck every stage, never slow and never pushing to 100%. Based on his times I feel I get a good feel for who is attacking, who is riding conservative and who is having issues.

Today...people are attacking the stage :nod
  19. ianofmcmillan

ianofmcmillan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quite a bit of excitement on Twitter from the locals in Tupiza about the Dakar arriving there today.

[​IMG]
  20. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

"We's a 'strylian... we don't have body 'n brains what react at any altitude... mayte..." :imaposer
    Deadly99 and nry like this.