2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I get the impression that while ever Bam Bam and Gonk are up front, the rest are permitted to get as close up their tailpipe as permitted (I am pretty sure that Brabac has a lot of pressure not to "bin it" while doing so). As per normal situation, if a WC should happen to perform a better stage time, and subsequently re-start the next day ahead of their "shadowed" rider... usually they will pull up several hundred meters or so after clearing the start control avenue of the DSS at the start of the special, and wait for their rider assignment to take the start... then set off after them
  2. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If someone is watching the Bolivia feed keep an eye for Manuel Lucchese. He should appear at 9:17 local time, or in about 30minutes.
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clarifying and also to Zeque for identifying the two lead riders for me. I didn't know the Frenchman's role.

Edit: Thanks to Troy for clarifying how the WC 'fixes' his lead on the road.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Bolivia TV:

Bolivian ministerial political speech... 8 minutes and did not even stop for a breath....

If you needed any proof of what training at altitude can do for athletes... :evil

there it is.:D
    dooby, nry, Jimmy the Heater and 3 others like this.
  5. cameron110

cameron110 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

cold enough that Faria was chuffed to get an electrically heated shirt
    *kartman* likes this.
  6. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah mate, he's biting big chunks out of him! TP, take it easy mate, you've got a week and a half to claw those 10 mins back! No need to do it all today!
    garfey likes this.
  7. coak

coak Addicted to Rally Racing!

Oddometer:
    Adrien Metge still hasn't come through WP1 ?
    Linhares likes this.
  8. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CsTweet:
    We should expect that from riders, it happens all the time. I feel for Cs, as I feel for every rider that saw his dreams vanishing in Dakar. Especially Santosh who is a nice person. Things like that unfortunately happen, and riders have to deal with on the side of the road. Knowing the bike is a paramount, what caused Santosh to withdraw, maybe in another rider would not and just mess up the rankings. So, another lesson is here that we should always know the bike inside out. I also do not know what caused the electricals to go out yet. So pure speculation.

What I do know at the moment is that the exact same design endured Merzouga and the Merzouga towers are in Dakar. The exact same units. So, unless we see the damage we cannot comment on how it happened or what the solution would be in such a long race and especially in a Marathon stage (were riders usually carry spare parts). This is to be discussed later, when the dust settles on why/how/when it happened and how it would be possible to avoid it. I just want to see what exactly happened so that we are a bit of more help for Cornejo and Espana who are still in the race. If is was a crash/modification that caused the flow, then the towers should be modified further to endure (the team has spare units). If it was a design flaw that was not picked up during testing and Merzouga, the towers should be modified again to endure. For the latter we can be of assistance even remotely. It's sad when these things happen (ask me, Tony and so many others here that design and supply parts for Dakar what kind of sleep we get during the race...) but it's a way (not the only way) to improve. For me, even if it was Cs's crashes that resulted in a failure, it will never happen again.

D.
    nry, kaia, Rato Molhado and 2 others like this.
  9. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salta
    [​IMG]
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    cp2 is a refuel?
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Having a world enduro champion like Meo, who is just one pos. in front leaving dust wisp vapour trail to sniff... won't hurt the pace any
    homerj likes this.
  12. coak

coak Addicted to Rally Racing!

Oddometer:
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    si, oui, yes,

[​IMG]

at the CP2 fuel dump the will have the nutralized 15 minute to pause, fuel and eye off one another, judge their pace...

though with the new "3 minute start gaps" usually there will not be more that a half dozen or so of the elite at the refuel at any one time... all part of Marc's "make them ride their own race" initiatives...? :ear
    LocuL likes this.
  14. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see Corky on the start list, albeit last bike out. Anyone hear any news from him on yesterdays problems ?
  15. ianofmcmillan

ianofmcmillan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Toby Price photographed heading through Tupiza

[​IMG]

From El Potosi's twitter feed 2 minutes ago

Edit: original photo actually from Fabiola Chambi on twitter 17 mins ago. She is on the ground, live tweeting.
    KASUYAHO likes this.
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a point of interest, the fastest Honda from wp2 and wp4 is Brabec... :D
  17. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    That and, there was a bush on the right hand side of the track that obscured a small rock. he hit the rock with his rear tire, it send him into a flying highside ..... i won't bore you with the details, but that's exactly what happened.
  18. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess very very cold, i worked at those altitudes for months years back,
    first time there i jogged up a hill and had to sit down as i would have fallen over.
    Delayed reaction.
  19. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having a world enduro champion like Meo, who is just one pos. in front leaving dust wisp vapour trail to sniff... won't hurt the pace any

And with Faria just ahead those 3 form a nice hunting pack going after the red hares...
    Why am I reminded of the live baiting scandal here in OZ....
  20. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Linhares likes this.