2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. stellarbrews

stellarbrews Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The glamour of this event (compared to the film clip on France 4 of the 1000-1500 workers who each day line up to carry their quota of scarce goods by wheelbarrow across the border from "wealthy Argentina") is great for these TV announcers. No wonder they are excited.
    nry and troy safari carpente like this.
  2. rock_bottom

rock_bottom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised at the (lack of) pace of the Mini's. Only 2 cars in the top 10 so far (Toyota have 5, not all of them 'factory'). Peugeot are obviously the surprise package, but maybe not unexpected considering the money they've thrown at it and the drivers they've signed. But Mini also have the budget. Is it just that the stages so far don't suit them somehow?
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  3. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    I have to turn the audio off every so often....otherwise I'd go postal!!!!!:shoot
  4. stellarbrews

stellarbrews Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, how about those (evil) Toyota's. They have the numbers to stick around, even if everyone's talking Peugeot and Mini.
  5. rock_bottom

rock_bottom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If only the North Africans realised this a few years ago.....
    LocuL and yardracer like this.
  6. clearandlock

clearandlock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brooklyn, New York. Home Town Sydney Australia
    How much do we miss the Dunes of Chile? Does Argentina have the big dune deserts we crave?
  7. stellarbrews

stellarbrews Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Precisely. Look at how tourism is a great earner pretty well all over the world.

You could say a lot about this, but as we know the rally had to depart that continent due to some great difficulties.
  8. 38thfoot

38thfoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rest easy Kevin fans, I'm pretty sure I saw that clip about a week ago suggesting that unless I've completely forgotten about my x men like future vision ability it's not Dakar 16.

:clap:clap Spot on 38

It is from the Ruta 40 Rally in 2015... that's why I deleted it.

Troy
  9. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Crazy fans want a shower

10. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Kobus Potgieter, the lone South African rider, passed WP8 :rilla
  11. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was a fresh upload but a "fake" video to gain clicks ...
  12. XSpearsX

XSpearsX Proud Dakar Wife

Oddometer:
    Two of our riders this year!!! So far entire team hanging in there! Not bad for stage 5.
    Rato Molhado and yardracer like this.
  13. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Ahhh dont tell RG. If it had been Baja he would have...done something
  14. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.

Oddometer:
    RG doin what RG does...

[​IMG]
  15. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    CORKY IS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap
  16. Moto Benny in MTL

Moto Benny in MTL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, Argentina really doesn't have what we NEED! Peru and Chile have awesome dunes and were so key for a SA Dakar to make sense. Argentina does have some dunes, but being on the lee side of the Andes means a lot less in the way of dune systems. Even the big dune systems in Chile are probably only 100 km x 50 km but the Dakar route made the most of it. Peru has awesome dune systems that stretch for miles. There's a reason entries are so far down this year, and a reason we're hearing rumours of the rally moving to Southern Africa. And for the record, Fiambala is a hell hole! The softest sand with the hottest air temps you can imagine. The days they have planned there will be brutal.
  17. rickmdz

rickmdz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the south of Mendoza province there's a sand desert with dunes. They went through that are 2-3 years ago. I don't know why they skipped Mendoza and San Juan this year, they have amazing areas there with room for off piste too.
    Deadly99 and Rato Molhado like this.
  18. stellarbrews

stellarbrews Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sr Nogales from Bolivia is yet to reach the podium ramp. Wonder if he can top his countryman?
  19. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like De Azevedo is out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....144088549023582.27629.100002673134258&type=3

Breaking news - jean azevedo abandons dakar after stage marathon to help teammate
    The Pilot Jean Azevedo, only Canadian in category motorcycles of the dakar rally, abandoned the competition in the morning this Thursday after drop of the camp of jujuy, in Argentina, with destination the uyuni in Bolivia.
    After the stage marathon, when even the pilots were able to do the maintenance of vehicles, Jean gave the radiator to his teammate Honda South America rally team (HSA) Javier Pizzolito, Argentina, and that was with the play damaged.
    This choice was made by a number of reasons. On The 4th of January, Jean had a hard fall, where she hit her head and shoulder, leaving the pilot with strong pain in the hands, arms and in the region of the ribs. Due to the accident, the tank of fuel has been damaged, which forced him to walk slowly so you can complete the stage, getting on the 132th in general classification.
    " everyone in the dakar are in search of victory or good results, but we're a team and I'm also here to work and help the honda to win the dakar. It doesn't matter who could win; what matters is the mark finish champion. That's why I chose to sacrifice my race giving up my radiator to pizzolito ", Said Jean. Photo: Gustavo Epiphanius / vipcomm
    Pyp, Linhares and yardracer like this.
  20. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    Took a while but I'm already on last page... Any word on 98 UDRY (CHE), 63 CORNEJO FLORIMO (CHL), and 26 DE AZEVEDO (BRA)? They finished yesterday but it seems didn't start today :dunno

72 Ontiveros is out of Dakar?

This is my list of those still on the loose

146 JULIAN (ARG)
    130 BOSMAN (LSO)
    153 NOGALES COPA (BOL)
    134 SMITH (GBR)
    108 ANO (FRA)
    135 MONNIN (CHE)
    119 GHITTI (ITA)
    125 POTGIETER (ZAF)
    38 LOPEZ JOVE (ARG)
    127 ROJO (ARG)