2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. too old

too old Keen supporter

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg Ok - I've been saying how close things are at the top, but there is a trend developing and the small gaps are getting larger as small average speeds begin to tell - looking at the leader board I think it's safe to say that the podium will come from the current top 9 :beer
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  2. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And so is Jamie!!!
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

116 (120) 134 - JAMIE SMITH(GBR) KTM +00:17:51 (122) +00:36:15 (114) +00:39:48 (114) +00:41:18 (114) +01:05:19 (115) +01:17:25 (112) +01:42:47 (109) +01:55:46 (109) +02:13:33
  3. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    De Azevedo is out. check the post before yours. Last one on pg 162
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  4. garfey

Oddometer:
    And scratch #134 Smith - he be's home!
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  5. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    BRAKES...... he finished the stage today. So I guess he was talking about someone else.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  6. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    TSC's F5 reflections from the TV4 France "le Dakar" program from Uyuni bivouac.

Motos':

Gonk did his now trademark job, made a good pace while opening trail out front... lost some time to the orange pursuit team, but all in all he seemed pleased with how it is all rolling along.

Meo seemed happy... a bit surprised he went so well (by his own experience he has little to draw reference - coming from World Enduro Championship type competition).

Both Toby's were happy with things... "We" made a couple of small misstakes near the end where the tracks were a bit crazy... but we're stoked."

As far as the terrain is concerned... from what the footage showed... most appeared to be semi defined tracks (eroded in many places) and rough graded roads... the pace of the cars on the time sheets and the vision we saw, indicates that it was WOT in a lot of places...

So I have to concur with what others have been saying, that this years first four days (except maybe for the deluge) hav not had the early "killer" element (valley of doom in 2014 or the 100 degree+ extreme desert temperature) as we have seen the last few editions.

In light of this the Peugeot teams efforts to date are not to be diminished - they are doing what should be expected... and debutant Sebbe's drive so far is impressive. BUT... there has been no real "acid test" yet... Cyril was delayed today in the final stanza of the special... (does anyone know why as yet? :ear) Could this be the first indication of a mechanical chink in the armour...?

The Toyotas and Mini's are still lined up ten deep just off the lead pack... and these are proven platforms with experienced teams.

HRC vs Mattighofen

PUG factory vs the 4x4 hoardes

It's all good fun isn't it? :D
    640 Armageddon, FPedro and sick_boy like this.
  7. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    @garfey
    re Walkner and yesterday,
    he just posted a phone call on FB, seems the altitude gave him problems, not his meds. He said it messed with his head.
  8. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Terence Marsh via FB:

I took this photo this morning before we left the bivouac.....this is how this Dakar technician slept last night in our first bivouac in Bolivia....zoom in to get an idea of the ground conditions!!
    The reality is that you are generally too tired to care and the fact of the matter is that 'it is what it is'...

[​IMG]
    BurtDakarax and yardracer like this.
  9. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    He was also suffering from altitude last year.
    A wild guess is that pain meds could only worsen the issue.
    garfey and yardracer like this.
  10. garfey

Oddometer:
    If 'twere me and I went back and read my earlier statement, I might change my story, too!
  11. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Kobus Potgieter and Wessel Bosman are both in :1drink
    Pyp, Rato Molhado and garfey like this.
  12. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since things are quieting down a little I took the time to find the rule book to see if there was anything likely explaining Robby's 1 hour penalty. I'm no expert in interpreting these things but I don't think it was the tractor pull. There is a penalty matrix in section 45P of the rules. One hour penalties are only shown for sentinel not working due to crew, 2nd infringement of entering a control area from the wrong direction, and not stopping at stop panels.

"Service" by a non-accredited person or vehicle is 3 hr penalty on a road section and 6 hr penalty on selective section. I assume that's how they would classify being assisted by a Massey Ferguson.

There are lots and lots of penalties listed under "Penalty Decisions at Stewards' Discretion." I suppose we'll just have to wait until the team leader decides to go on camera.
  13. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just my two cents but I think I did a totally of 250km of dunes last year and they we far from the most challenging part of the race. All the difficult riding was in Argentina at the start of the week and other parts with Fesh Fesh, or the mud in Bolivia. Argentina and Boliva has everything we need and one day in Fiambala will be exponentially harder than all the dunes in Chile they used last year.

The really milked the quantity of sand in the event last year and most of the stuff around Copiapo was so used by locals it was pretty easy. Don't be fooled by the TV, there will plenty of challenge to come I think :D
  14. rock_bottom

rock_bottom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! :clap
  15. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:

• oh oh.......16:39 : Misfortune for Despres
      The mishaps endured by Cyril Despres are likely to put a smile on the faces of Peugeot’s rivals. Cyril Despres lost more than one hour and fifteen minutes today at the wheel of his Peugeot. Suffering from electronic problems, he finished the special at 50 kmph. This result means that his ambitions for this 38th edition have most probably gone up in smoke.
  16. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    SS5 - stage winners

The car was perfect again” LOEB

“It was a good day. I pushed really hard from the start. Daniel did a great job with the notes, he was just perfect, so absolutely nothing bad to say. I was really happy with the stage. I think we lost maybe twenty seconds at a junction. Daniel told me the right way, but I went wrong, but for the rest it was ok. I had a good feeling and the car was perfect again, so there's nothing to add. It was a good day and tomorrow we will be first on the road so it maybe will be another story, but it's a part of the experience that we have to take. The car and the crew are ok. We had some very high altitude today too. We are ok. Yesterday I tried to manage the car in preparation for the mountain stage. Today it was the second stage and I had absolutely no problems with the car, so I tried to push harder and I got the result. Tomorrow may be more difficult. It's got some navigation like today, but today it was ok, so we will see tomorrow how we can manage that”.

003 - TOBY PRICE

“I didn't expect to be that far ahead ”

“This marathon stage was definitely difficult. Today was a little bit tricky with the navigation. I had to stay on top of the game. I caught a couple of other guys and got in some dust. I made a couple of little errors in the end there, because I was a little too worried to take my eyes off the road. It was a pretty crazy track. All in all, we're stoked. I didn't expect to be that far ahead for the day. I caught a couple of guys, but I thought the other guys in front were on a good pace. We're stoked. We've got another long day tomorrow and we'll see how we do. The track was just like big open roads, so on most of it you could get on the gas and go pretty good, but then on probably the last thirty or forty kilometres it was pretty hard navigation and I was trying to stay on top of things. We just tried to push when we could and try to hold back when we had to, but we've come away with a good result, so it's a good day. I know we've got the stage win, but I'm not too sure where we are overall, but we're stoked and happy with everything. We've just got to keep pushing along and do what we can. Fingers crossed, but there's still a long way to go. We can't count on things just yet. Today is only day five. We've got another seven or so stages to go and it's a long way. Anything can happen between now and then. We'll just try and make the right calls when we have to and push when we need to, so we'll see how we go. The bike is good. I didn't crash or do any damage to the bike. It's running really well. The guys have done a really good job. All is good, just the tyres were starting to get worn out at the end and it was hard to hang in there on those slippery roads, but it made it a bit of fun”.
  17. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    These 'easy' stages may be Coma's contribution to the structure of the event.
    Looking back, David Castera thinned the heard early in the first few stages.
    So maybe the stage before the rest day can be hellish?
    garfey and troy safari carpente like this.
  18. griesgram999

griesgram999 grmpf

Oddometer:
    Eurosport 5 Minutes od Dakar now.
  19. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm hoping for. At least them some racing fir all the money they've laid, but also weed them out before the finish. That's what I would do.
    garfey likes this.
  20. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C´mon Annie!!!!!

:clap
    :clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap