2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. silverstone

silverstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From another forum, wipers stopped working and Creed and Street had one pair of goggles so they hammered out a hole in the window
    [​IMG]
  2. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure anyone else agrees but to me 3rd person is a lot worse. Bassetbaw players seem to do that a lot, as do boxers.

(Slight edit above to clarify that that's just IMO.)
    Carlos M likes this.
  3. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    We think that's the first time we can remember in a long time of wipers being a stage culprit, and a very practical solution too. Glad it wasn't a big rock or something. Haven't seen Jonah once on this Dakar coverage, and not much of Sheldon either.
  4. daryl

daryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the rule book says they appear as WPM in a circle in the road book, doesn't seem to mention how they convey the penalty though.
    [​IMG]
  5. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    What else receives an hour's worth of penalties?
  6. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Meo's FB

5 min of penality for Meo he lost his time card during the stage....

He is apparently relieved to have to leave 8th rather than 2nd tomorrrow ;-)
  7. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Good news as in no injuries and stuff... only the bike :kurt
    What a ride...
  8. stellarbrews

stellarbrews Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks as if Peugeot is fully exploiting the regs for the 2-wheel drive, so they are technically and in performance ahead of most other vehicles, especially the 4-wheel drive vehicles on power, suspension travel, body design, wheels. So...it's as if there are 2 classes, 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive, competing in the same race, only it's not explicitly recognized as a two-class race.
  9. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    It's difficult to say - sometimes you just get a bad one... which is why all the top riders (and more wealthy privateer contenders) tend to change them every day regardless.

It's perfectly possible that on Corky's more modest budget, he elected to change his mousses (and tyres too) every other day for example?

The compound effects of a lot of long liaison miles (at highway speeds on tarmac too) might well have started to see the mousse deteriorate, and once it starts to break down, it gets hotter and so the cycle continues.

Of course this is only speculation as it certainly would have made sense to have a fresh tyre and mousse fitted prior to the marathon stage, so as I said initially, unfortunately he might just have got a duff one...

Some riders carry a tube (and a couple of levers), but some don't. Also, depending on the circumstances of the tyre coming off the rim at speed, the bead itself might have been trashed anyway or the carcass split.

Another option (which Llel's dad told me about many years ago) is to carry a handful of super heavy duty cable-ties, and use those to hold the tyre onto the rim (through the gaps between the tread blocks) to continue. It may not last indefinitely, but with care (and perhaps the odd replacement) it will get you to the end of the stage.

Corky is a pretty good bodge-repairer, so I imagine he'd have exhausted all options before electing to continue on a bare rim.

Jx
  10. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    NSFW:

Everytime man.... EVERY friggin time.
  11. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    garfey likes this.
  12. daryl

daryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a few penalties that are at the discretion of the organisation, but here's a list of everything I can see with a fixed time penalty of 1h from the bike rulebook.
    • Absence of race bib at the start of a Stage
    • GPS not working due to Rider : - for the 1st 15 Riders in the General Classification and A.S.O. Elite Riders
    • GPS code not entered : - for the 1st 15 Riders in the general Classification and A.S.O. Elite Riders
    • Refusal to sign the infringements - second offence
    • Speeding in Control Zones : Over 40 kph, 4th impulsion
    • Sentinel not working due to Rider - for the 1st 15 Riders of the General Classification and A.S.O. Elite riders
    • Entering a control area from the wrong direction and/or re- entering a Control Zone when the Time Card has already been checked , 1st repeat
    • Not stopping at stop panels
    • Non respect of the sound level, second infringement
    garfey and theantipaul like this.
  13. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    A full season of a hockey "enforcer?"
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    f5 fixted :D

That trick has been used before...
    homerj, dooby and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  15. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  16. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, can't see Planet Robbie being secretive about any of those though.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  17. daryl

daryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I just had a quick skim through the cars/trucks rulebook , and the penalties are mostly the same, with a few variations on the speeding related ones.

My guess is that it was one of the "Penalty Decisions at Stewards' discretion" infringements, of which there are many.
  18. stellarbrews

stellarbrews Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While there seem to be 3 riders still on the course, among the cars there are a number of teams that are out there and might still be in trouble.

Doesn't it seem surprising that there have been so many car retirements just five full days in with no off-piste dune travel yet?
  19. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about this...

the only "incident" (other than the tractor pull) that I have heard anything about involving RG on the stages, was during SS3 where there was some mention of him finding an abbreviation in the route/making up some time via clever navigation.

Maybe he got a penalty for that?

Unless the SPEED team or the Orga/jury make a clearer anouncement of what the penalty was for... my guess is that it must be either of those things....

there are a whole lot of time penalty issues that can be implemented under the Clerk of Course "discretion" also....

so maybe it is yet another - as yet undisclosed issue? :ear

I have looked on PlanetRobby and RaceDezert, but found nothing concrete.
    theantipaul likes this.
  20. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Toby Price wins another stage with superb riding and navigation skills.
    Continuing his climb into the alien level and maturing as a team player by
    acknowledging, with the inclusive " WE ",
    the total team effort it takes to get a bike through a race of this magnitude !

I think the young man is very smart and knows how to motivate the workers on the team.

GO!!!!!!! Max
    Clancy, too old, drgunther and 7 others like this.