2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    he says that every year (insert Mitsubishi,Vw and Mini) and that he is not coming back but maybe this is the year he actually does quit...

I have said the same thing at a race... then you go home to real life... and the dream comes back...

He's addicted just like all the other regulars, some have been going for decades..
  2. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had to quote you people :D

I spoke with with both Santosh and Vivek, most photos that you see of Santosh the Suzis are his.
    My thinking is not to see who to blame, but to try and protect the riders that are still in the game with the yellow bikes. If it was a catastrophic failure due to our design, we should advise the team what mods had to be done on Cornejo (now unessecary of course, he is out with injection problems...) and Espana (still in the game). If it was a crash damage, we could still advise them on what mods could be done to alter the stiffness of the tower somehow. The primary target is/was to help the riders that remain in the race.

So, It was not the tower itself that broke, it was the block that attaches to the head of the bike. This was a welded block. May be it was stressed from crashes, may be not, unless the bike is inspected we will never know for sure, and the bike was left at the end of the stage. This is the first time I see a failure of a welded block.
    I asked him if it was the aluminium of the tower, or the polymer, thinking that the tower collapsed from the press releases I read. At first I thought the polymers collapsed from a crash, but then again because of the design, that can be fixed on site and should not cause you to be left out of the race. On the other hand a heavily modified tower (which this may was), if not cared, can develop cracks and fail. So, I asked Santosh if it was the aluminium, or the polymer.
    To quote him: ''It was the aluminium ... The mounting bracket on to the T stem of the motorcycle cracked at first and ripped off...'' That is the weird frame these bikes have...

Now to the #fastindian part. The tower collapsed at Wp1. The guy sees the tower going completely off the bike. That is a heavy part. Having all the nav gear, iritrack, balise, spares, lights, you name it. He carries the tower with one arm, and then continues to finish the stage. :eekers . Lionhearted :gdog indeed and if the electrics were functional he would still have been in the game. :cry .
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :wave Day Six: my F5 wake up alarm clock...

The eyes open to the sound of "la la-la lala Boliviaaaa... la la lalalala..." (the endless loop that tormented my sleep last night :twitch ).
    I rise, while simultaneously wiping a cyber-dust cornflake from the corner of one eye, and look at the red digits of the bedside table rally clock; 04:00 (Dakar time)

I instinctively pull on my track pants (backwards :rofl) and wander over to the f5 desk... open the laptop master key, and the cyber DAKAR springs into life. Too many PM's and tweets, fb posts and e-mails to read right now... so I log on to the f5irehose to see where the f5renzy has taken us through the nightshift... Kaia tosses me the virtual reality keys to the insanity bus (thanks for a great job on the cliffnotes mate :clap:clap) I scratch my head, and I trundle off in the direction of the kitchen to kick the coffee pot into life...

Good mornin' all and welcome to Day Six of the ADVRider F5 official coverage of the 2016 DAKAR Rally !!! :thumb:thumb:thumb

Last night on the graveyard shift "we" :rofl discussed the possible reasons for RG's 1 hour penalty from SS2... the seeming invincibility of the PUG squad and their new wonder car (even though Mudboys one had an electrical gremlin that delayed him)... super Sebbe continued his dream team debut in fine style and had a chat with Nasser on the size of the Qatari wallet. :lol3

Meanwhile ANNIE started after most had finished and battled across the Andes in the dark in true "epic Dakar" tradition.

"We" discussed the grammatical pro's and con's of interview Pricey's linguistic double persona.... aaaaaand the usual wrap ups, photos discussions and mirth that go hand in hand with the f5 Dakar graveyard shift crew!!! :clap:clap:clap

So now we turn our attention to todays SS6 special stage: the UYUNI - UYUNI "loop" around the Salar d'Uyuni.

It's gonna be.....

... wait for it...

electrif5ying...!!! :D

[​IMG]
  4. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:

Thanks for all the work that you put into this man! Simply amazing.
    Both on tablet and phone the entry page is nice.
    I d go a step further with the 'aerial' view bubble style. Have all the way points in one graph and put all the competitors there like seeing a virtual race. Dunno if that is too difficult, or a priority at this point. For me we have already the pinnacle of Dakar tracking!

Thanks once again for the time you dedicate into this!
    garfey, too old, misc and 1 other person like this.
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Todays stage brief - (great work Garfey - thanks) :clap

Stage 6: 8 Jan 2016
    Uyuni > Uyuni

ref: http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/stage-700/day-s-route.html

High Tension Loop - 1st MOTO Start: 07:00AM

The longest special section of the Dakar takes place on the 6th day of consecutive racing. And that is not the only difficulty of this operation, which will take place between 3,500 and 4,200m in altitude. The pace and surfaces change constantly, alternating between sand and rock, which may be disconcerting, especially if it rains. Glimpses of the Salar de Uyuni are but one of the visual delights on the agenda. Meanwhile, the truck category, which will race separately on this 6th stage, will visit the home town of the President Evo Morales.

special n° 6 bike quad car truck
    1st start
    (GMT-4) 07:00 07:00 10:12 13:01
    Number of participants
    start 124 39 99 53

Distance .............. Connection Distance ................ SS Distance
    Car ................................... 180km .............................. 542km
    Truck ................................ 304km ............................. 295km
    Bike .................................. 180km ............................. 542km
    Quad ................................. 180km ............................. 542km

CAR/BIKE/QUAD MAP
    [​IMG]

CAR/BIKE/QUAD PROFILE
    [​IMG]

TRUCK MAP
    [​IMG]

TRUCK PROFILE
    [​IMG]
    keepshoveling likes this.
  6. chug1

chug1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^ This.
    I always admired RG and the great combination of novelty and realistic ambition he brought to an otherwise rather homogenous field. It's a little heartbreaking to see his "screw-you" to the 4WD rally-style vehicles being brought to fruition by a big-business team while he languishes. That's not to belittle the alien engineering that must've gone into the PUGs, the auto-aliens behind the wheels, and the fact that sometimes Robby is his own worst enemy. Still, it would have been nice to see Robby '2WD big bore long travel bright orange' Gordon land his dream.
    cross-country, beechum1 and garfey like this.
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    dakar.com preview SS6:

16:59
    Uyuni-Uyuni: it's not over yet!
    On completion of the first marathon, the competitors who made it this far on the 38th edition of the Dakar must have thought they would have some time to recuperate. Today they will not, because the programme includes quite simply the longest special of the rally around the salt pans of Uyuni, no less!
    Like yesterday, altitude will be one of the day's determining factors, because the special will take place between heights of 3,500 and 4,200 metres.
    There will be changes in pace as well as terrain that alternate between earth and sand. The trucks will have a special route and will “only” cover 295 kilometres of the special.

17:34
    Rain forecast
    For yet another very difficult day of racing, the weather forecasts are not predicting any improvement with regard to the amount of precipitation. In fact, heavy rain is expected, which could severely complicate the task for the competitors still in the race. In light of the weather, the special around rather than through the Uyuni salt pans, missed by some, will most probably be appreciated by all…

Uyuni: a whole world around the salt pan
    Every day, a competitor taking part in the Dakar tells dakar.com visitors about the tourist and cultural attractions of the course of the day. Today, Danny Nogales (N°. 153), currently in 119th position in the general ranking, will show us around Uyuni and its region.
    This small Bolivian town welcomes the Dakar for the third consecutive year. Its well-known salt pan will once again be the focus of interest, although the region has other attractions, presented to us by Danny Nogales.

For his first participation Danny Nogales has focused on the Tunari mountain range, 40 minutes away from his home town of Cochabamba. Training at over 4,000 metres will help him to avoid unpleasant surprises at Uyuni, where he discovered the famous Salar (salt pan) a few years before. “Ten years ago I crossed the Salar with my father and brother in a 4x4 to reach the mine at San Cristobal, where we had to do a job. Its immensity struck me, as did the light. We didn't know where we were and we got lost. However, it's the cold that really hits you, a really chilling cold. It really is a place to see.” Its length of 150 km and width of 100 km make the Salar at Uyuni the biggest salt desert in the world. It is a unique tourist attraction and a place where salt is - naturally - extracted (25,000 tonnes a year, with 64 billion tonnes in reserve). It is probably an unparalleled development factor for Bolivia because it holds one third of the lithium reserves of the planet.

Perched up at 3,658 metres, with a hotel in the centre of its almost infinite space, the salt pan is a place that Danny Nogales recommends you to cross. “The area has several gold or silver mines, and viewpoints that are really worth the trip. As soon as I can, I'll bring my family for a visit. My idea is a 3- or 4-day circuit, to cross the salt pan and then carry on to another equally surprising area: the 'laguna colorada' (coloured lake)”. A nature reserve and the breeding grounds of the Andes flamingo, its 35-centimetre depth and the 60 square kilometres of its red waters make it another place worth discovering.
  8. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Crap... So ondrej yesterday was injured in the stage? :eek7
    The bike can be repaired, hope his leg is not too bad. I feel this year we see a rally like never before. It has this wrc stages, which stress the engines, the riders and at their speeds that can eject to infinity and beyond.
    So far they have tested outright speed, reliability and altitude. I expect some serious navigation to kick in, otherwise Dakar will never be the same again....
    garfey, KTMInduro and Deadly99 like this.
  9. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com is not showing any penalty (yet) and Meo is listed as 2nd on piste at DSS. Is this Like non-speeding penalties? Not afecting DSS?
    If it was a trick, it backfired.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  10. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Good morning guys ! Just needed more than an hour to catch up :type

So most of you seem to take 2 weeks off, just to follow the Dakar ?! :ear
    I´m lucky to have a job where I can sit in front of the PC and have access to Advrider :augie
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Oui... the time card penalty is (like road penalties) not accounted to the "scratch" result (although speeding penalties on a special stage DZ zone are).

I forgot this small detail in my sleep deprived state last night.
  12. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    RG .

Exciting to watch but jeeezz that man is his own enemy. Why cry when its obvious you have been outgunned. Its just staying on lowest competitor level. You are a team manager for feck sake.
    Micromanagement and the likes kills it.
    dooby likes this.
  13. Idle

Idle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Troy, and everyone else for all you do.
  14. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just noticed this in the photo F5irehose ... What´s that ?! Does the orga carry riders clothes ?
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I assume (due to the identical nature) it is the riders "marathon kit" - a standardized "gift bag"* provided to every rider with overnight essentials for the "marathon bivouac".

*no really a "gift"... like hotel soap - you pay for it as art of the entry fee. :lol3

But is intended that ALL riders have same support level (no outside assistance on marathon stage).

In years past all recieved cute Bolivia wool beanies and ponchos... these look a lot more "high tech" backpacks.
    *kartman* likes this.
  16. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    I´d really like to know what´s in them ....

In the meanwhile I got a link for a nice PDF about Dakar history from 1979-2013, including all stages, winners, statistics ... 229 pages ! Have fun !

http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/dakar/2014/historique/historique-dakar-1979-2013_us.pdf
  17. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:

Some of 'us' throw 'ourselves' down the road to get a coupla weeks off - 'We' didn't quite judge it right and got myself a coupla months laid-up.
    Plenty of time to watch the Dakars from the '90's (after this one finishes) that an Inmate is digitising and loading on YouTube - Can't get enough of it.
    Thanks Troy and crew for all the updates and awesome insight on the threads! 'We' are stoked!

Throttle to the Donkey!
  18. royle

royle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    *kartman* likes this.
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    some F5 pre-salar ramblings and speculation...?

The expected forecast for rain could make the "loop stage" for SS6 around the salar d'Uyuni especially interesting. :deal

(anyone gotta detail map and a weather forcast on hand...?) :ear

As the dakar.com pre-view stated, the special stage this year (moto, auto and quad) does not cross the extremely acidic salt lake... but follows a course AROUND the perimeter.

This means - I would expect - a lot off gullies, and crossings where water from the dry barren landscape flow to the salar. ie. lot's of erosion type features on the course.

Couple the wet weather to the clay like earth that we saw last year on last years stage into Uyuni (remember Barreda slipped and broke his bars), then this could be tricky on the soap like surface + ditches and so forth.

For Toby and Meo... they will be the pathfinders (landmine detectors?) on this stage... although their offroad enduro technique is amongst the best in the field (a multple Enduro World Champion, and a desert racer with an ISDE 2nd outright)... I expect it to be hard for them to maintain a lead on the stage, while breaking trail and navigating in these type conditions.

Quint, barreda and Waulkner are in the best start seats today (pos. 6, 5 and 4) to make good time on the SS.

In the cars... ?

This will be (for me) a real test for Sebbe... a tough stage (we hope), testing conditions... and he has to "read" terrain, not just the road.
    If he can pull a win today... okay - he's convinced me - he can walk on water. :lol3

Nasser has to try to keep the pressure on the PUG trio today... maybe they will slip... maybe something will fail... maybe?

At the moment - all the media PR and press releases give the impression that the technical superiority of the PEUGEOT and "dream team" is invincible - but they still have to get the cars across the line... I hope today is a REAL DAKAR stage...

In which case I expect Perfecthansel and Nasser to close up (from start pos. 3 &4)... also Giniel and Robby (in start pos. 7 & 8) will perhaps move up a couple positions on the road today.

:lurk:lurk:lurk
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  20. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Showers predicted Troy... Looking for a radar map but I'm only on phone ...so someone else might spit one out :lurk