2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. royle

royle Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    That sounds nice indeed, but in the way it's displayed now that's almost impossible. The X and Y axis will stretch so far that you won't recognise anybody. You will only see hundreds of dots overlapping eachother.

But... I'm always think of features like this and ways to make the impossible possible :D
  3. Tomas Kocanda

Tomas Kocanda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. But much worse is Ivan Jakes - fever in the night, knee twice as big, cannot walk at all :( Shit...
    Ondrej will be OK I think.
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  4. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
  5. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:

Moved to a bigger device that i can read...:cob showers end 5.45am :pynd
    image.png
    garfey and troy safari carpente like this.
  6. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    awesome ferals... keep at it! It would be great to know.

I think today can really be a tough Dakar day... with the salar, some moisture... pivotal battles (involving only minutes between several competitors) at the front of the moto and auto categories! :clap:clap:clap

@Myway do we have a detail map for todays stage around the lake... ? :ear
  8. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the sort of terrain last year (the stage into Uyuni) where JBB came off twice and wrote the handlebars (but don't believe the shite about riding 100km one handed - it was less 10) and even the great MC took a serious fall that he was very lucky to walk away from - and that spectacular car flight, crash and inferno - so plenty of cautions!
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  9. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mischa. The work you have put into this is amazing. It's appreciated more than you know.
    BurtDakarax, Pyp, K_N_Fodder and 9 others like this.
  10. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn as they say.
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    dakar.com

#113 - As if the Dakar was not hard enough…

He has completed 3 of the last 4 Dakar rallies and he cannot wait to arrive in Salta to meet up with his assistance that for the moment is still broken down in Argentina.

When he arrived at the bivouac in Uyuni at the start of the afternoon Marco Reinike could not have hoped for better. He finished 78th on the stage, rising back to the standards in the rankings which he enjoyed on the Dakar in 2013 (79th) and 2014 (62nd), helping him to forget the withdrawal of 2015. He also finished the marathon stage of this first week with a flourish. Consequently, everything seemed perfect. However, at the bivouac, there was a surprise in store for him: no assistance. “I looked everywhere form them and I finally phoned them: the truck was still in Argentina, broken down due to a damaged rear axle. They couldn't get here, so we'll be meeting up again in Salta…” Marco Reinike, like every dyed-in-the wool Dakar competitor, is the type of person to look for a solution. “I asked if I could join the bikes without assistance category until Salta. I can use the tools made available and oil”. This newcomer to the category does not even have a trunk, meaning he has no personal belongings and no spare tyres… Never mind: the Chilean rider and grandson of a Dutch expat, has his contacts. Gertsan Reijnders from Team Hans Vogels offered to help him with the air filter and tyres. Joining the bikes without assistance category mid-way through the Dakar shows that Marco has the taste for a challenge
    K_N_Fodder, Gumbeaux, garfey and 4 others like this.
  12. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    ferals5 likes this.
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    05:48
    Quads: Ignacio Casale to carry on after all
    Following a major mechanical problem yesterday, the Chilean rider was not at all optimistic about continuing the rally. However, Ignacio Casale, who was towed to the bivouac, will indeed be among the starters this morning. Although he has solved his problems, he will nonetheless be starting in 144th position.
    05:38
    5-minute penalty for Meo
    After riding a superb special yesterday, Antoine Meo (KTM) received a 5 minute time penalty yesterday evening. Why? Because the five times enduro world champion had lost his clocking in card. This mistake sees him drop from fourth to ninth place in the general standings.
  14. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    F5IRE in the Hole... according to your preferred timezone.?

[​IMG]

SS6 - Uyuni to Uyuni

The 6th stage of the Dakar 2016 is one of opposites. 542 kilometres of special, but only 4 km of link route to reach the timed section...

CAR/BIKE/QUAD MAP
    [​IMG]

CAR/BIKE/QUAD PROFILE

[​IMG]
    High Tension Loop - 1st MOTO Start: 07:00AM

The longest special section of the Dakar takes place on the 6th day of consecutive racing. And that is not the only difficulty of this operation, which will take place between 3,500 and 4,200m in altitude. The pace and surfaces change constantly, alternating between sand and rock, which may be disconcerting, especially if it rains. Glimpses of the Salar de Uyuni are but one of the visual delights on the agenda. Meanwhile, the truck category, which will race separately on this 6th stage, will visit the home town of the President Evo Morales.

special n° 6 bike quad car truck
    1st start
    (GMT-4) 07:00 07:00 10:12 13:01
    Number of participants
    start
    124 39 99 53

Distance .............. Connection Distance ................ SS Distance
    Car ................................... 180km .............................. 542km
    Truck ................................ 304km ............................. 295km
    Bike .................................. 180km ............................. 542km
    Quad ................................. 180km ............................. 542km
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  16. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I think they are safe weather wise... can't embed the animated map but i'm going with an early shower and those that get in late get a bucket dumped on their heads... make haste today chaps:evil

edit: can't find any doppler close by so sat pic is all i've got
    garfey and 640 Armageddon like this.
  17. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Happy with Vilma though !
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  18. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    SS6 timing is LIVE!

pos. 1 #3
    07:00:00 -

...aaaaand they're off in the Salar d'Uyuni handicap...

[​IMG]
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    ASO live timing waypoint/timing matrix seems to be fubar... (again) :fpalm

POSIS of the departure DSS start and CP display (CP 1 2 4 & 4) and the ASS finish appear to be function.

so any of the F5 guru's figured out milages to CP1... etc? :ear
    yardracer likes this.
  20. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the mousse issue - It's my personal racing experience, and personal opinion but mousses only go for a few reasons. I don't agree that people get bad mousses, not in the last ten years have I heard of a bad mousse. You get bands brands but no-one in their right mind would use one on Dakar.

Above all, can we give big props to Chris for not giving up dragging himself in. What a ledge.

So the reasons:

i) Too much mousse lube, applied to the wrong part of the mousse and or on the bead or the tyre. This causes the tyre to slip creating excess heat. You can't use bead locks in Dakar, they eat into the mousse and cause it to fail too.
    ii) The mousse was fitted by a brute who broke the bead and didn't realise. If you hear the bead rearing or break the tyre goes in the bin, end of. This is incredibly common and the most likely reason for failure. If I was Chris, I'd be really pissed and not let that person near the tyres again. Desert tyres are tough as hell to fit, but that is no excuse! :)
    iii) He was on a two day old mousse. Now this is really unlikely, because he'd be trying to push a mousse three days with the marathon stage and if that is the case, I need say no more. Realistically, In Dakar you need a new mousse in the back everyday. You don't need a new tyre, just a mousse.