2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. HumphreyBear

HumphreyBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the update, Mischa, and thank you again for your hard work. I particularly love the BT (like everyone else), and have started making animated gifs of the stage with them to show the change for a rider through the stage, like this:
    PriceWPsStage5MkII.gif
    I'll start to post them if other people find them interesting.

'Bear
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I believe, you just stepped up and volunteered as official F5 bubble timing WP/CP poster bear :clap:D

welcome to the team :clap:clap:clap:thumb:thumb:thumb
  3. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    Does the new http://trackingdakar.nl/waypoints.php page give the same effect? Could that one replace the old one you are talking about?
  4. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    Great stuf! I have been working on doing this live :) I can imagine 2 ways: the one you made, but also one where you can see the drivers pass. That last one I was working on. But I got so little time to finish things and this redesign had to be done last year already too ;)
    BurtDakarax, garfey, DudaRO and 2 others like this.
  5. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    no ...on a mobile it cant be zoomed in/out (iphone)
  6. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    Ah ok that's the thing ;) Hmm... ok :p
    ferals5 likes this.
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    With the unprecendted rains the area has been recieving...the sand might be more firm than the race has seen in previus years?
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  8. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    Gosh... I have problems leaving my house for 1 hour only whole week already. Every day I think I should do it in the morning, but the stage is on the way already. Can somebody stop time and resume it in a few hours? :D

[EDIT] If somebody could, maye ASO? :) They are pro in stopping time :D
    Quietus, yardracer, Carlos M and 2 others like this.
  9. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I agree - with the penalty involved (15 mins for the first engine change, 45 mins for the second) and such close racing at the front end, it's something the top riders and teams just can't afford to do anymore unless absolutely necessary to stay in the game.

Meanwhile those further down the field are less likely to be pushing their engines to the absolute limit each day anyway...

I have to say, I'm amazed how the durability of these 450cc engines has improved over the few short years since the capacity cap was introduced - it really is moving the whole [engineering] game on...

Nerdy aside:
    Certainly it can only bode well for smaller capacity machines in the general market - providing good power, reliability and improved economy over the established larger cc classes. If the new Africa Twin can prove that 1000cc is the new 1200, hopefully we'll see that 500cc can be the new 750 etc.

Certainly modern dual-sport bikes like the fuel-injected WR250R are making pretty much the same power as the previous generation XR and DRZ 400s were - coupled with 24,000 mile valve checks and excellent fuel economy - and so it goes...

I draw the analogy with modern car engines - the Japanese pioneered the 2 litre precision engineered turbo in the late 80s early 90s, when everyone* thought you needed a V8 to make 300+bhp (*and of course the Americans still do ;o), and these days you are getting 180+bhp from a 1.4 litre VW petrol engine, with the economy and easy 100,000+ mile reliability without even having to open the bonnet.

It would appear that racing does indeed improve the breed!

Sorry, back to the regular programming...

Jx
  10. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    ^^^ That is the recipe for a snowball, right there!

Jx
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Now that the first wave (3 minute start gap) of MOTOS is thru CP1... we see that most ridders with start positions 10 thru 16 made the best of the tracks laid down by Toby and the front hounds... to post good elapsed times so far - the first (number) in the display is where the rider started the stage in order - at the DSS

(12) 002 - PAULO GONCALVES(PRT) HONDA 0h25m18s (1) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (8) 007 - HELDER RODRIGUES(PRT) YAMAHA +00:00:19 (2) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (16) 042 - ADRIEN VAN BEVEREN(FRA) YAMAHA +00:00:37 (3) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (1) 003 - TOBY PRICE(AUS) KTM +00:01:16 (4) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (14) 027 - TXOMIN ARANA(ESP) HUSQVARNA +00:01:22 (5) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (15) 011 - JORDI VILADOMS(ESP) KTM +00:01:35 (6) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (10) 020 - ALAIN DUCLOS(FRA) SHERCO TVS +00:01:39 (7) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (5) 006 - JOAN BARREDA BORT(ESP) HONDA +00:01:47 (8) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (4) 014 - MATTHIAS WALKNER(AUT) KTM +00:02:08 (9) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (6) 004 - PABLO QUINTANILLA(CHL) HUSQVARNA +00:02:23 (10) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (11) 008 - RUBEN FARIA(PRT) HUSQVARNA +00:02:45 (11) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (9) 017 - JUAN PEDRERO GARCIA(ESP) SHERCO TVS +00:03:25 (12) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (13) 023 - GERARD FARRES GUELL(ESP) KTM +00:03:39 (13) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (3) 005 - STEFAN SVITKO(SVK) KTM +00:04:26 (14) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--
    - (2) 049 - ANTOINE MEO(FRA) KTM +00:08:34 (15) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:-- (-) --:--:--

Gonk comes steaming along in 12th spot back at them... :clap
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  12. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do customer KTM RR's and other home made bikes have the 'soft maps' for the liaison sections?
    I would worry more about the engine on the 400km slab then while revving it to the limiter on the special section.
    Because that's logical to me. :D
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  13. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe then we have 2013 scenario with the river washout o_O
  14. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @misc - How do I get the screen with the position graph up? That is awesome!
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  15. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool.
    Can you make the picture fade from one WP to another? It's a bit jumpy like this.
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    dakar.com

06:35
    Price at CP1
    At only 44 kilometres from the start of the special, the first intermediate point has been already been reached by Toby Price. The Australian took 26'34'' to cover the distance. A lighting start!

06:37
    Back to the bivouac for Ivan Jakes
    The Slovak rider, who injured himself yesterday, seems to have turned round to head back to the bivouac. It appears that KTM rider number 16 is still having problems with his knee (ligaments). :cry:cry:cry

06:54
    Slow progress for Meo
    Having set off 3 minutes behind Toby Price, Antoine Méo currently only has the fourth best time at CP1. More worryingly, the gap between the five times world enduro champion and his team leader is significant. After the first 44 kilometres of the special, Meo is 7'18'' behind the Australian stage leader!

06:58
    Barreda bouncing back
    Lead by a quartet of KTMs at the finish of the 5th stage, Joan Barreda (Honda) seems determined to take action today. At CP1, the official Honda rider is in second place, 31 seconds behind Price (KTM) who still boasts the best time.

07:03
    Rodrigues: the force awakens?
    The least we can say is that Helder Rodrigues (Yamaha) has been discrete since the start of the rally. However, he seems determined to turn the tide. At CP1, the official Yamaha rider is credited with the best time, and with somewhat of a flourish, leading Toby Price (KTM) by 57 seconds.

07:15
    And now Gonçalves is quickest
    This stage really is starting at a hell of a pace. After Rodrigues, now another Portuguese rider is the quickest at CP1. The official Honda of Paulo Gonçalves leads the official Yamaha of Rodrigues by 19 seconds.
  17. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    http://trackingdakar.nl/waypoints.php?type=B

Click one of the waypoints to select the waypoint. Then click the Bubble Thingy icon on the right top to go live to that waypoint or select a rider in the overview who you want to track.
    dooby and e900naestrada like this.
  18. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is Toby genuinely pulling a Gap from the front? o_O

Scrap that, I mis-read
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    500+ km ss = awesome
    LlelP likes this.
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Seems BB and Gonk are gaining ground

Edit: Your right, I'm wrong...he is posting the fastest time...while leading....

Loeb and Toby are impressing the heck out of me (and everyone I assume). Too early to scream alien but the potential is certainly there
    troy safari carpente likes this.