2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. stellarbrews

stellarbrews Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't you think that a lot of the riders are better prepared than many of them used to be? Yeah, consistent results from the U.S. boys, and they haven't crashed out at all yet!
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Its 2:30 am rally time, TP still posting on FB....doesnt this guy sleep?
  3. Iron Horse

Iron Horse I Make Shit Up

Oddometer:
    I noticed "they" are on Twitter too. Must be his PR crew. Or more likely, Red Bull's PR.
    homerj and 640 Armageddon like this.
  4. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, butt, the tire specs for 2WD and 4WD are totally different. Plus the "New" Generation Minis, not sure about the Tacomas (or whatever they call them over the pond) haven't even been racing Dakar 10 years (Robby Gordon to the Fact Check Phone Please!) I'm thinking you don't get something if you don't ask..... In French.....
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  5. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    Florent Gooden / DPPI

[​IMG]
    Benjamin Cremel / DPPI

[​IMG]
    Frederic Le Floc'h / DPPI

[​IMG]
    Benjamin Cremel / DPPI
  6. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:

Rockstar Energy Husqvarna's Pablo Quintanilla wraps up Dakar Rally stage six in overall fifth while Husqvarna-supported Jaco Cerutti continues to be consistent. All the best for a quick recovery to teammate Ruben Faria, who crashed today and leaves the rally with a fractured arm.

#4 - PABLO QUINTANILLA (CHL) [HUSQVARNA]
    [​IMG]

#50 - JACOPO CERUTTI (ITA) [HUSQVARNA]
    [​IMG]
    Rato Molhado and Gian like this.
  7. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
  8. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    © Flavien Duhamel/Red Bull Content Pool

Crossing the border

Joan Barreda of Team HRC rides from Jujuy in Argentina to Uyuni in Bolivia on Stage 5 of the 2016 Dakar Rally. The Spaniard currently sits outside the top three having received time penalties on the previous two days.

[​IMG]
    © DPPI / Red Bull Content Pool

Trailblazers

Cyril Despres races to Jujuy during Stage 4 of the Dakar Rally. After a difficult return to the Dakar last year, Team Peugeot Total appear to be the team to beat in 2016 with their drivers first, second, third, and fifth on Stage 4 of the event.

[​IMG]
    © Marcelo Maragni/Red Bull Content Pool

Keep on truckin'

Dmitry Sotnikov of Team KAMAZ Master races during Stage 3 from Termas de Rio Hondo to Jujuy, Argentina. KAMAZ have dominated the trucks category of Dakar in recent years, winning the event for a record 13 times in 2015.
    Rato Molhado and HumphreyBear like this.
  9. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    Sparrowhawk likes this.
  10. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    (Waaay late getting to this, something came up midday and I just got back to the F5irehose, 17pp down.)

Stage 7, 9Jan16
    Uyuni > Salta
    A Quick Paddle Before A Rest
    1st Start (GMT-4): 7:00AM

ref: http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/stage-800/day-s-route.html

The end of the first week of racing is always a decisive intermediate objective. This year, anyone who has put in the ground work during their preparation and who has respected the major recommendations of the discipline will be able to reach it. However, they still need to get to the end of this exhausting day, which will involve getting their feet wet crossing rivers. It is likely that half of the vehicles will arrive in Salta after nightfall… but perhaps before their assistance teams, who also have a long road ahead of them.

Distance ................................................... Connection Distance ................... SS Distance

Car, Truck, Bike, Quad (all same) ........................ 481km ................................. 336km

Car/Truck/Bike/Quad Map
    [​IMG]

Car/Truck/Bike/Quad Profile
    [​IMG]

troy safari carpente likes this.
  11. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Here's my Stage 7 map, the real elevation profile, and the Google Earth file. I mapped this almost a week ago but I knew there were issues with it, so I didn't want to publish. But I found some stuff tonight that helped me make corrections in two places, so I think it's pretty good now.

Google Earth File

Stage7Map-Dakar2016-byScottWhitney.png

Stage7ElevationProfileByHogWild.png
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    :clap

Love these threads. I'm to old to do enduro seriously (well that and not riding dirt for over 20 years). Fun as fuck to dream though.
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    Yah. Found some internet..
    Looks like go Toby is the order of the day..so

Go Toby..!!!!!
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    SS7 Uyuni - Salta

I just grabbed all the relevant posts on the maps/scheduling to be in one place (great job all the F5 clan :clap:clap) to have them together for today's start...

Rato Molhado likes this.
  15. BurtDakarax

BurtDakarax F5eckin Kamaz

Oddometer:
    Just tried the new site on a windows phone. The bubbles works very well.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,Thank you.
    I cannot read the names though ( column too small) ( The old one was a bit wider, but still couldnt read long names).

I cannot see the Make column. ( not on the old version either)
    Please could we! have different coloured bubbles for the make of bike ( orange KTM, red Honda etc)?

multi Thanks Mischa.
  16. garfey

Oddometer:
    There are 4 maps and 4 profiles (using the << and >>) shown on http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/stage-800/day-s-route.html and only the map I posted (Uyuni > Salta) makes any sense at all. The others appear to be either past stage maps or future stage maps, but they don't go from Uyuni to Salta so :dunno.

I can't speak to the profiles at all except to say the total distance of NONE of them match the distances in the table above them (which I compacted as they were the same for all four classes of vehicles. Again, :dunno
  17. garfey

Oddometer:
    That 1st photo is amazing!
    sick_boy and yardracer like this.
  18. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :deal
    great post Ivan (so glad you picked up on this and bring it to attention)

as I alluded to in my TV4 France "review" there is some stuff that many of our "non-french fluet" f5ers miss out on the TVFrance broadcasts... nes pas?

Michelin jumped on the “infomercial bandwagon”, and plugged their nice new readily available series production tyre (? :hmmmmm), that they knocked up specially at PEUGEOTS request. Of course these are the ones – as per the regs - that any competitor can buy (? :hmmmmm)… if they had of been able to… but only PEUGEOT knew about… until recently… or something like that. :rofl

The thing that Ivan is getting at S US T is that, the regulations stipulate that the tires must be series production items - available on the market... but only MICHELIN developed this new tyre in conjunction with PEUGEOT and until only recently they were not available to any one other than (surprise) PEUGEOT.

This is not a 2WD vs 4WD thing at all (even though it is true that the same basic Michelin/BFG Rallye Raid tyre have been much the same since 10 years).

You are correct... you don't get something if you don't ask... in French. :lol3
    sidewayz_control likes this.
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Good morning everyone on the f5... welcome to Stage 7 of the 2016 DAKAR, today we make our way to Salta; :deal

dakar.com

Salta: a beautiful city that loves sport and culture…
    Every day, a competitor taking part in the Dakar tells dakar.com visitors about the tourist and cultural attractions of the course of the day. Today, Kevin Benavides, currently in 7th position in the general rankings, will show us around Salta and its region.
    [​IMG]
    A rest day in one of the best tourist cities in the country. One person who certainly loves it is Kevin Benavides, the young, ambitious rookie from Salta, who sees his city as a top-line outdoor sports centre. Among other things.

“Salta, the ‘pretty city'”, as Kevin Benavides proudly calls it. “The nickname is applicable to the city and everything around it: lakes, hiking trails, stunning views…” This corner of Argentina that attracts more and more international tourists offers the young biker the chance to live his sporting passion to the full. “What I most like is going up to Lake Cabra Corral, about sixty kilometres from Salta. You can enjoy any water sport there, and also mountain biking. I particularly love doing Enduro there. Then there are many historic villages surrounded by spectacular mountains…” With views of the Andes and recreational fishing that involves catches of large-sized fish such as catfish or ‘Yuscas', Kevin also likes the area thanks to its exciting nightlife. “There are plenty of discotheques and restaurants, of which I particularly like Portezuelo,” he explains.

Kevin Benavides also highlights the colonial architecture of the city, of which there are several examples. Salta became famous worldwide in March 1999 through the discovery of three Inca mummies on the summit of the Llullaillaco volcano (whose peak stands at 6,700 metres above sea level). They can be seen in the High Mountain Archaeological Museum (MAAM), opened just 10 years ago. One way to take a unique journey back through time is the ‘Cloud Train', which is certainly not 500 years old but is worth taking a trip on through breath-taking landscapes that start as you leave Salta. Since 1972 the train takes you up to an altitude of 4,200 metres.
    Rato Molhado, K_N_Fodder and sick_boy like this.
  20. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer: