2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Desert Matt

Desert Matt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the mapping team. That is just awesome
    BurtDakarax likes this.
  2. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Only their first map is correct, sort of, as we know they don't draw a very accurate red line. << << << <<
    All of their elevation profiles are wrong.
    troy safari carpente and garfey like this.
  3. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    [​IMG]

COOL TOWN... hope its not as wet as 14...
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  4. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Getting "interrupted" in the middle of the day/stage, no matter how, makes it tuff to catch up at a reasonable hour. Noting that Stg 7 start time is listed as 0700 (GMT-4), I'm gonna grab a couple hours Z-time. See y'all shortly.

(note: I had a talk with Gus last night about making warm spots too far over. Tonight the little shit moved my top pillow to the middle of the bed, folded/drug down the top sheet and blanket, and made a warm spot in exactly the right place. No clue why he did that except that he watches me fold the covers down every night. Maybe I'll give him pizza bones more often!)
  5. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Good morning all :wave

today's SS7 481 km special stage from Uyuni (Boliva) to Salta (Argentina) is all set to be a good one.

HogWild BlueBull and Beechum have done an awesome job decyphering the ASO maps and schedules for this special... and all is set for a great f5 stage.

The first MOTO departs the DSS start control at 07:00am (DAKAR time) http://24timezones.com/world_directory/current_buenos_aires_time.php

A key feature to keep in mind while tracking the stage today is the "LIASON STAGE" in the middle of the days special (that takes the field in non-competitive mode from Tupiza - across the border - to Villazon; where the second part of the special will commence). So effectively it is TWO specials today... the competitors start the second stanza in the same order and time spacings as the "finished" the first part. (it is not a re-start with the usual three minute gap.)

I am out of the chair today.... so have a great f5 stage together... first MOTO start in just on two hours.

// Troy
    Rato Molhado and 640 Armageddon like this.
  6. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    I think it's important to remember that up until the start of the Marathon the stages were improvised on short notice when Peru and/or Chile pulled out. At the time people were calling BS on their reasoning (Couldn't commit resources to the race with the likelihood of flooding and other El Nino natural disasters), but from earlier stages it seems clear they weren't unfounded. Whether that was the only reason is open for discussion. But I think we've only had 3 stages that were "real" Dakar stages, and some other stages that were slapped together on pretty short notice.

I expect the soul stealing will begin shortly.
    BurtDakarax likes this.
  7. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Is Annie lost in the high dez ??
  8. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Jacopo is doing a really consistent rally, notwithstanding gps problems and a fall .. gooo!
  9. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Ah oh...
    image.png
  10. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  11. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Surf & Moto, Rato Molhado and garfey like this.
  12. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Morn' garf :wave

smart pooch you got there... can he do a nice egg's benedict? :ear:lol3

pondering the entrails of the "graveyard shift", "we" (that damned TP grammar is creepin' in all over the joint :wink:) had the usual avalanche watch for those competitors out battling the snowball late at night on the back end of SS6 around Salar d'Uyuni.

The f5 panel disected the Bam Bam cadaver for all it was worth (and then some :rofl)

Ivan pointed out the availability of MICHELINS latest tyre technology breakthrough, that they've released to the public... A good deal if you are one of the four lucky people in the world that own a carbon fibre bodied rear wheel drive 2008 SUV for getting to the shops... :rofl

Runens binned it, Toby winned it and Manny's still in it... :norton

and today, before I bid you all a fond f5 frenzy out on the "piste"...

just leave you with a collage of a few of the PUG's "greatest hits" 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... so far we know they "go fast and handle good" (on WRC and gravel trails)... interesting to see how they hold up with a few more days of DAKAR punishment...?
  13. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    It's a bit sad and unfair to see Barreda starting 16th and Ceci 110th this morning :(
  14. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    How do the spectators know where to be to watch if the competitors don't? Enquiring minds (my missus) needs to know.
    Tesla314 and drgunther like this.
  15. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    Just got caught up, and the start is in 52 min. Too much work to catch up on :( I'll be out in the garage freezing my ass off in this icy hell I call home.
  16. royle

royle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was too tired to write anything about the fantasy game stage results so here it goes:

Two stages in a row for "Nanana Vrooom", tibx really owned Bolivia! Quietus was just 2 points behind, however, and that puts him into the overall lead. Lana's Gordito team got the bronze trophy and jumped into top 10 overall.

Stage 6:
    ========================
    1st...Nanana Vrooom (tibx)...65 pts
    2nd...Quietus (Quietus).........63 pts
    3rd...Gordito (Lana)..............58 pts

Overall:
    ========================
    1st...Quietus (Quietus).................228 pts
    2nd...Nanana Vrooom (tibx)..........218 pts
    3rd..Go Hard or Go Home (Coak)...210 pts

But thats not all, f5olks -> this here just might be my most important post during these two weeks so here it goes:

Senores and senoras, you only have ONE MORE DAY UNTIL SNOOKER STARTS :evil! That means you'll have a whole nights time after todays stage to think about who to pick for your fantasy snooker team :lol3. Will it be your favourite, Ronnie or maybe since Toby Plural is in the lead you like ozzies better now and go with Robertson?

Here's the draw to help you decide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Masters_(snooker)
    and here's a motivational video (you just can't say snooker's not exciting):

(gee I sure hope this post won't get me banned... :hide)
  17. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kaia,
    Thanks for the incredible job with the photo thread.
    I have a sensory overload just from looking at pages from the past 8 hours. :eekers
    kaia, yardracer and homerj like this.
  18. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
  19. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    and I think we definitively miss these at the "Dakar":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(from current Africa Eco Race...)
  20. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is it that there are competitors who seem to be not finishing stages, yet they start the next day? Or is the only requirement that you get back to bivouac? For instance Annie and the electric car. I note that Annie isn't in the Dakar.com rankings today.