2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Scottyridewhere?

Scottyridewhere? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i may be way way late to the discussion, but TSC has it right.. as we say in the Guard.. "you have to go out but you don't have to come back"... things look very different from the F5hose than on the ground as Marc and co have to deal with... they ALL understand sending the competitors out for SPORT.. but they are understandibly reluctant to send them out to DIE... this isn't war.. yes, i understand it is the toughest sporting event on the planet (arguably - the offshore sailors will digress) but the point is to make the safety call while the risk is still calculable... i went for a little ride this afternoon, a short one, to the grocery store.. it was +1C and the roads were half-wet... this morning, they were glare ice... i made the choice to be SAFER...

now back to the regularly unscheduled mayhem..

cheers,
    S.

Jimmy the Heater likes this.
  2. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    padin1 and RFlagg42 like this.
  3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way to put things into perspective.
  4. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding work Hog...Wow. Here's wishing all the riders the best tomorrow (if they don't cancel that is).
  5. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Great work Scott! Thanks! :thumb
  6. Scottyridewhere?

Oddometer:
    i was enjoying a nice quiet hike in the snow with my usual riding group for most of the day, took till now to catch up the thread... just saying that it looks a lot different depending on where you sit, and with so many competitors lives at stake (or potentially so)... we ALL, as riders, accept a certain level of risk.. racers, more risk. organizers... they simply do not get the luxury of rest. I wish all the competitors blessed fortune every single day and great sportsmanship and sporting challenges. I understand both sides, and have to agree with the organizer's decision today. Sporting challenge, yahoo... dumb fucks fighting for their lives.. that makes for bad press...

cheers,
    S.

Rato Molhado likes this.
  7. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Just watched Eurosport Stage 1 Highlights and they are doing the "My Dakar" series again. Manny and Alexander Smith are a few of the participants, so that will be interesting. Saw Sheldon featured on the highlights but still have not seen a single image or vid of Jonah. I guess the navigators never get much visibility except at start and finish.

F4 was better as usual, more down home Dakar feel and better helicopter footage with their own choppers.

Both made the best of not much to work with.
  8. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    uploadfromtaptalk1451885080455.jpg

Original photo, for those interested.
  9. Scottyridewhere?

Oddometer:
    Whoa.. that was intense...

(someone had to say it)
  10. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

Love this. Doesn't seem like it should be cancelled though
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  11. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its all about the helicopters ,if they cant fly , the race doesn't start.
  12. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
  13. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com news:

Alain Duclos hoped to build on a solid performance in the prologue and use the first special to move up the general classification. The Sherco rider will have to wait for another day.

Sunday SS1 (cancelled) was not a good day for those who hoped to make hay of the 227 km timed section between Rosario and Villa Carlos Paz. The stage was cancelled and the entire caravan travelled to the bivouac by road. "The rally hasn't really started yet", sums up Alain Duclos. "It isn't anyone's fault, but it still ticks me off. I was really looking forward to this fast special…" Unfortunately for the Sherco rider, the weather forecast for the next few days does not look good. 20th in a prologue in which he was aiming for somewhere between 20th and 30th, Alain was ready to attack from the get-go. "I planned to move up the classification in the first stages, which are quite long and true-blue rally stages", he admits. Unfortunately, they might end up being shortened, which will make it difficult to open up gaps. We've been dealt an entirely new hand. We'll have to adapt to changing circumstances. It'll be necessary to ride with desert tyres, which aren't that great for riding on mud… I wanted to turn this into a war of attrition, but fewer stages means less attrition."

Rain and bad weather forced the Dakar organisers to cancel the first stage, a decision that enjoyed the wholehearted support of Wessel Bosman. The South African rider suffered like a dog under the Argentinian downpour.

He made it to Villa Carlos Paz wrapped in a bin bag and frozen stiff. "I never thought I'd end up as frozen as this between Buenos Aires and Córdoba", blurts Wessel Bosman as he props up his KTM in the first bivouac of the 2016 Dakar. "I spent two hours under the rain waiting for other competitors because we'd been told to form a group of riders and head to Villa Carlos Paz by road. I could've never imagined such conditions…" He's not alone. The South African is disappointed at not being able to race in the first special of the rally, but he is adamant that cancelling the stage was the only option. "Apart from the helicopters being unable to take off, there were torrents of water. It was terribly dangerous, with the tiniest brook morphed into a river. Tackling the special would have wreaked havoc. Taking such risks from day one would've been reckless." Especially for a competitor who had not ridden for almost three months before the start in Buenos Aires. "I broke seven ribs and dislocated a shoulder in October", he says. "I haven't had time to get back on my bike since then." Despite the first bad experience of this edition, Wessel will remember the petrol station where a good Samaritan gave him a bin bag, which he quickly pulled on before going on to finish the link section.

Alas, the feared scenario has materialised. The weather has wreaked havoc on the second stage too, so the organisers cautiously decided to truncate over half of today's special, which will now end at CP4, in order to guarantee the competitors' safety.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    *kartman* likes this.
  14. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    beechum1 likes this.
  15. Weldr

Weldr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...stage 1

This is Stage 2 Info

"Alas, the feared scenario has materialised. The weather has wreaked havoc on the second stage too, so the organisers cautiously decided to truncate over half of today's special, which will now end at CP4, in order to guarantee the competitors' safety."

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/stage-300/live-feed.html
  17. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Stuck in the mud
    Quad rider Mohamed Abu Issa gets a taste of the appalling conditions that have played havoc with the beginning of the 2016 Dakar Rally. Thunderstorms made Stage 1 too unsafe to run so the competitors made their way to Villa Carlos Paz via motorway ready for Stage 2.
    © Marcelo Maragni/Red Bull Content Pool
  18. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Special Stage 2 (shortened)

Alas, the feared scenario has materialised. The weather has wreaked havoc on the second stage too, so the organisers cautiously decided to truncate over half of today's special, which will now end at CP4, in order to guarantee the competitors' safety.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

SS2 AMMENDED ROUTE/SCHEDULE:

MOTO: 70 km liason to DSS start
    (shortened) SS2 390 km to CP4 (ammend ASS finish)

approx 300 km liason to bivouc at Termas De Rio Hondo

START TIME first MOTO: (still as scheduled) 07:40 am local ARG time

Current local time in Argentina: http://24timezones.com/world_directory/current_buenos_aires_time.php
    Carlos M likes this.
  20. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer: