2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    so looking at Dakar.com and Mischa's tracker.......today stopped at WP 5....?
  3. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know, couldn´t resist :lol3
    640 Armageddon and yardracer like this.
  4. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Manuel is 67th in general with 33:00 penalties.....

And Corky got 2 hours..........
  5. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what it looks like. So Brabec gets a top ten in a stage (even after Gonc gets moved up)!

Ian in at 27th, which is pretty good!

It's a pity about Walkner, and certainly about the spectator that was hit in a separate accident with a car.

Seems like a good time for a rest day...
    homerj, Rato Molhado and yardracer like this.
  6. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably nothing in the road book at all, the road pictured was fine.

I have little Dakar experience but what I have counters the notion many have that the road books are tell alls of what lies ahead and riders ride with blind faith in them. Often there are caution marking for things that make you wonder why they are marked and other things you wish were marked. Some being obstacles in the road that present a danger others that present a danger if you go off the road.

I remember one section of very long straights with slight bends running at or near wide open. It was fairly flat so reading the road ahead as to tightness of bends was marginal. After a long wot stretch there was a hard left ninety. Would have run totally wide had it not been for the road edge berm. I thought to myself a ! for the 60kph corner would have been nice after being lulled into a wide open pace for the past 20K.

I learned very quickly to rely on riding what I can see and don't solely trust the road book as a tell all.
  7. solitary1

solitary1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    walkner may have been checking the road book and not seen the curve...but what do "we" know.if barredas engine did blow the engine will be back in japan by tomorrow,unopened.doubt anyone outside hrc will ever know the full story if it was the engine.another subject,who are the 3 best navigators left in the bikes? ill stick my neck out and say that gonk and Rodrigues will be on the podium.
    Khonsu, DruncleWill, garfey and 2 others like this.
  8. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is of interest to me is how the stage progresses in physical time. Stage times are important but the mind games and the task to finish the race, or take a break from leading in navigation is more of interest to me. This shows me who rode by himself regarding nav, and who was following somebody which sometimes shows me for the riders that I need info that there may be problems with their nav gear and they stuck with somebody to follow till the end of the stage.

- We had today Mr Ondrej and Mr Casteu. From WP2 onwards, Ondrej was 10-20 seconds in front of Mr. Casteu, so they were riding together and Casteu was checking nav/following him.
    - Mr. Arana was following Mr Beveren from Wp2-Wp6 having 3-40 seconds difference in some waypoints. Beveren moved forward faster after Wp6.
    - Mr Blythe followed Mr Gimeno from Wp1 to Wp5 having 10-30 seconds difference.
    - Mr Engel was following Mr Pabiska and Cabrera was further behind them from Wp1 to Wp5
    ... and many other examples in Mischa's beatiful time data matrix.

It's interesting to try and analyse the stages like that for me, you can also for example see that Manny and Lazard arrived at the same time at Wp3 but then Manny moved faster than him leading the way to the next Wp, then he was approaching Cola physically in the stage (Cola 15 seconds in front of him) Manuel overtook him and he was now approaching Heertum, physically almost 90 seconds in front of him.

Of course you can make it with the bubbly thing, or export Mischa's data and have fun in a time analysis software :D
  9. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    -
    HELDER
    RODRIGUES

"I'm back"

[​IMG]"It was a good day for me. I was able to speed up and my navigation was solid. I feel much better after spending a few days sick. I still feel the flu, but I'm back in business. I didn't win the stage, but I was near the front, which works for me. Next week I'll be able to attack and pull off a decent rally."
    MBM, Lobster Grrl, sick_boy and 4 others like this.
  10. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Looks like the quads finished at WP5, too.
  11. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:

The critics and the even harsher people might think twice in there reactions. I bleed orange, but this guy deserves a run for the top podium. Stating how he should have done or how you would have run the team isn´t really going to change the fact that he gave a real run to the MX top guys(he´s included).
    Hell, he might even be the best judge to call it a day or not. Don´t get me wrong it is of course good(evn fun) to discuss and the likes. Some inmates just throw garbage at an insane fast and good rider. That ain´t the right thing to do.

Though this is ofcourse my Scandinavian commie bastard point of view....
    hubilado, DudaRO, BurtDakarax and 5 others like this.
  12. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    any of the top riders going out on a mechanical is ugly....
  13. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did I miss PIZZOLITO
  14. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    he didn't start this morning

from yesterday

In telephone communication we had:

"It was a very hard stage, we very cold and then hot, gravel roads and stone to be very careful. After cp 9, which already was able to overtake several positions, I lost consciousness and suffered a blow that broke my helmet, but thank God I have no injury. we continue in the race and forth. "
  15. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Speedy FB

" I did that made it my business to, as opposed to believe they'd do the same for me. The Dakar is an adventure of very risk, a lot of sacrifice, for it and give it all over several days, thousands of miles, and the risk is always on the lookout. I'm not a hero, I'm a human being with respect for others. Our life is worth more than any victory, no she didn't win!"
    Paulo Gonçalves
    ‪#‎Speedynodakar‬
    Translated from Portuguese
    [​IMG]
    LikeCommentShare
    hubilado, trailtrick, DudaRO and 9 others like this.
  16. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Walkner FB update

Ab ins krankenhaus zur op, endlich waren lange 9 stunden wobei das morphium die eine oder andere etwas ertgäglich machte!!
    Echt eine verdammte Kake das ganze aber naja, das passiert eben wenn man im staub gegen sonne fährt und teilweise nicht mehr viel sieht!
    Dank euch allen ist mir echt eine hilfe!

Off to the hospital for surgery, finally, those were long 9 hours but the morphine made one or the other some what bearable !!
    Really a bloody Sh** the whole, but well, that just happens when you're in the dust riding against the sun and you can't see much!
    Thank you all for me it's really a help!

[​IMG]
    LikeCommentShare
  17. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Im back on deck after crashing out at the end of the neutralised zone...
    It appears everyone missed my 'ah oh' weather post at the start :augie
    K_N_Fodder likes this.
  18. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    [​IMG]

could be today in downtown Salta but was 2014's rest day...
  19. Villas

Villas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Fiz aquilo que me competia, ao contrário acredito que fizessem o mesmo por mim. O Dakar é uma aventura de muito risco, de muito sacrifício, damos tudo por tudo ao longo de vários dias, milhares de quilómetros, e o risco está sempre à espreita. Não sou um herói, sou um ser humano com respeito pelos outros. A nossa vida vale mais que qualquer vitória, sem ela não vencemos!"

Meaningfull translation - To Real Portuguese (Context is important in Portuguese so I've added the assumed context in brackets. )

"I did what I had to do and I believe that others would do the same for me (if I was the one that needed help). Dakar is a very risky adventure, with lot's of sacrifice; We go all out for days, for thousands of kilometers and the risk is allways there (on the look out). I'm not a hero, I'm a human being with respects for others. Our life is worth more than any victory. Dead we will not win anything."

Hope this is more understandable.
  20. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Difference in life experiences, I suppose, but saying "we" instead of "I" says absolutely nothing about the speaker's ego. "We" may have developed the bike and "we" may have burned the midnight oil prepping it, but "we" damn well didn't ride it. And if "I" am getting paid to ride it, saying "we" smacks of toadying. It's all about the mighty dollar, or euro, or pound, or . . . . . and it sounds false as all hell to me.

Personally, I never had any regard for any endeavor that could be done by one but many were engaged in doing it; e.g., "team sports" are of no interest but individual accomplishment is. A Marathon winner has done far more than the "winners" of a football game, of whatever kind. Further, the whole "we" thing smacks of being coached to do or say something abnormal just to get paid, like race drivers changing caps 4 times during a post-race interview and making sure the label of their sponsor's poisonous soft drink faces the camera. It's laughable and sad at the same time, as is the way some people build their identities based on the performance of some group of guys they don't know and never will, perhaps located halfway around the globe.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Geotraveller likes this.