2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    What's interesting is I don't see anything on the main Dakar website to indicate the support crews are stuck enroute, or am I looking in the wrong place?
  2. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that ASO has gone into full Gestapo mode with the media this year.
    We're not seeing anything that isn't carefully framed and edited to promote the romance and ultimate adventure.
    There are no ugly scenes that are ubiquitous even in the most mellow undertaking, let alone this mad caravan.
  3. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    They have two boxes of stuff that leap frogs from bivvy to bivvy. I'd imagine the Org also has their bivvy infrastructure (tents, food trucks, etc) duplicated and those leap frog from bivvy to bivvy. Given how late a bivvy is open to get the last competitors in the truck class on the road coupled with how quickly the motos arrive at the next bivvy, they must have at least one duplicate.
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  4. homerj

Oddometer:
    I would pay good money to watch a factory rider try to take a tent from a grizzled MM rider who's finally made it to the rest day. I bet the factory boys would end up with raccoon eyes, a wrench shaped bruise on their forehead, and bite marks on the end of their nose. :rofl MM riders are tougher than a $2 steak.
  5. dog botherer

dog botherer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so are we now meant to think that MM is the "softer" option for Dakar
    BurtDakarax and coak like this.
  6. homerj

Oddometer:
    only tonight, tomorrow they'll be back to being "those maniacs" :D
    BurtDakarax likes this.
  7. Tesla314

Tesla314 >_<

Oddometer:
    Only one trunk nowdays. From the regs: "37P4 “MALLES MOTOS” CHALLENGE (BIKE TRUNKS) 1) Transport of 1 trunk and 2 wheels is for Bike / Quad Rider without Service only."

But your thought about the Orga having leapfrogging setups would make sense, I imagine it's a big production to strike an entire camp and reset it at the other end.
    drgunther likes this.
  8. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sam Sunderland had a comment last year that he would never do the Male Moto and that those guys are "crazy".
    Rato Molhado, Vicks and garfey like this.
  9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :rayofGood morning... 04:00am (Dakar time) at the Salta rest day bivouac. :wave

some random TV4 France ref5lections from the abbreviated SS7 to Salta; :deal

The latter sector of the special stage today had some moisture on it (undrstatement :rofl) and was abbreviated.
    The Pug's still running strong (chopper footage) show them running on what you could only term as a fast smooth wet dirt -hwy - illustrate how dynamic the front suspension is under brakes.

[​IMG]

Presidant Morales thanked everyone for coming to the DAKAR 2016 Boliva party... :clap:rayof:jive:wings

JP Fontenay (former Mitsu factory and 1998 Dakar winner) made a little classroom on what is involved in doing the ASO recce' and compiling the roadbook.

[​IMG]

BamBam did a "live" interview and sheepishly said... "next year".

[​IMG]

Moto footage:

Waulkner sure looked "hyped up" at the SS7 DSS start line.... (maybe too much as it turned out).

Gonk cool calm and collected... fantastic chopper footage (posted on here no doubt) of him taking care of situation.

Paulo has been the gentleman of the MOTO class the last four or five years... great competitor, fantastic sportsman - yeah, sure it is in the rulebook to stop... but Gonk's "sympatico" show he is far more than following the book. His voice can be heard on the video footagage... "oui, oui... (I am with) Mathias..." he says over the irritrack emergency transmitter to the ASO. :deal First name basis between these guys, who put it all out there :bow

If there is a guy who soley deserves to win a DAKAR on the merits of his deeds... in my mind and heart, it's Paulo Goncalves.... THE GONK! :clap

[​IMG]

Meo looked smooth - awesome - on the bike, Toby bounced along through some of the rare "off piste" terrain we have seen (chopper footage) so far... and they both made the liason/refuel to have a chat.

Then it rained (after the first 20 had come through)... so the orga fould a big shed for the rest of the motos to congregate in for a bit..
    As always, Dave Casteu managed to find his way in front of the camera, and say something wise... :wink::nod (the mster of on Dakar PR... no wonder he has no problem to find sponsors :D).

Meo interview; first sector was technical and much difficult - cold, tech terrain. Bread and butter for a 5 time WEC champ...?

NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS in the Argentine press feature KEVIN !!! heavily... :D:clap
    [​IMG]
    (now there... that should keep Zeque happy) :rofl

Perfecthansel keeps on doing his thing
    Nasser in max attack against the PUG trio
    Loeb still debutantingly brilliant - impressive. (looks like Sebbe getting the hang of things.... uh oh..?!)
    Hirvonen too doing an awesome (if less publicized) debut.
    Giniel still bouncing along in the Tojo V8 pick up - keep the honest.
    Roman in the 2015 "TUG" is in the top 25...
    and the Renault Dacia is showing good form... for a 2000's spec T1 entry. :clap
    and sooooo many variations of "euro boogies" on the DAKAR these last years... 2WD die hards.

Anyhoo... the Salta bivouac sure looked civilized (green grass, nice layou and sunny) when luc and the TV hosts did the live broadcast (drone shots from the air over the camp), so hopefully today's rest day in Salta will be just that;

at day to rest and recover... for both the competitors and the f5 fanatics amongst us;

have a great sunday everyone. :wave:thumbup

[​IMG]
  10. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Hope this hasn't already been explained this year and I've missed it.
    Question for rest day!

Generally, how far do the factory teams go in 'servicing' the bike engines/suspension after each stage (time depending of course) on the current generation of 450's without occurring any penalties?
    (Understanding a change of 'bottom end' constitutes an engine change? - 15min penalty?)

Engine - Obviously oil, filters, coolant, spark plug, etc.
    Piston, rings, barrel, head/valves - is there any restriction on quantity of top ends?
    What happens if cases are split/gearbox components changed/inspected?
    Preventative fuel pump exchange program?
    Water pump?
    Clutch plates?
    Any electrical/electronics?
    (Do smaller teams do comp/leak-down tests - don't touch if ok?)

Suspension - internal inspection, seals, fresh oil, re-gas, exchange forks/shock program?

Other - Chain/sprockets?
    Change Brake/clutch fluids?
    Change Brake pads?
    Navigation equipment? (Motor/belts)
    Rinse fuel tanks, change internal fuel filters?

Any restriction on number of tyres/wheels used?
    Fresh wheel bearings every time?

I would imagine that the top teams push the envelope with regulation compliance - budgets allowing?

I do wonder how much of the original machine that started the race, finishes the race!
    garfey, 640 Armageddon and chasbo like this.
  11. BurtDakarax

BurtDakarax F5eckin Kamaz

Oddometer:

Anyone consider that he may have been using 'we' as in me and my bike?
    After all he is Auster-alien and we/I all know how they like to give weird names to stuff :D:rofl

As to the team sports vs individuals, the word 'symbiotic' springs to mind - lots of mutually beneficial relationships go into the mix, but some detrimental as well!

Not always so easy to pick all the right ones when building your Dakar team.
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    F5 satire sunday (it's just jokes f5olks)

[​IMG]

(Aussie accent) "We" want doo cafés, see voo play..." :1drink:lol3

Toby is a great ambassador for the australian off road motorcycling community, the sport, his family and countrymen.

Best of luck in week two Pricey! :clap
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    F5 fanatics Salta (non rest day) quote of the day. :rofl:clap
    Rato Molhado and garfey like this.
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    calling @690RR to the f5 white courtesy phone to share some DAKAR "rest day" moto mechanic insight/experiences please...? :ear
    Carlos M likes this.
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    seems that delayed service crews stuck at the bridge on the service route to Salta, will make the "malle moto" feel of the rest day, even more so for many of the competitors...
  16. too old

too old Keen supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't they do "Dos Tinnies" :D
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  17. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No access to pc at the moment, but he will reply later :) so, yeaaaaaaaaah :clap
    Really looking forward to that.
    Carlos M likes this.
  18. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave
    Woke up before the clock made its "You Cannot Ignore THIS Nasty Sound," sound, stumbled to the lavatory, then to the PC, thought, "Man, you really need this rest day so let's try to download those Eurosport videos that were so kindly offered during the FREE download period and . . . .
    YOU PUT TODAY'S DATE ON THE STAGE 8 PRE-STAGE BLURB, YOU IDIOT!!!!!"

Yep, in my semi-stupor from 7 days of F5-ing, I lost the bubble and typo'd:
    Stage 8, 10Jan16
    Salta > Belen
    1st Start (GMT -4) : 7:00AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So I just went back and fixed that, before even starting the coffee pot.

Sorry, f5olks!!!!!!!

Now to the coffee pot!
    brb

(Edit: Back with a cuppa :*sip* so now back to catch up and see how many of you f5-ers caught my boo-boo on the date. And to download E-sport vids)
  19. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apologies if this has already been posted - but, whatever you think of RG, he sure knows how to play to the crowds !

Would I? and RumRunner like this.
  20. DaCat

DaCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As always, this is the best forum to hang out on, your Dakar coverage is amazing, thank you... so I"m hoping you can answer my question, can't find info anywhere.

How did Brian Baragwanath incur a 49 minute time penalty? Did he miss some waypoints or speeding? I assumed the cancelled stages wouldn't be an issue for the quads. I swear I saw them on Bo-bo-li-li-via TV yesterday...

Here's hoping PG wins this year's Dakar, not that others are less deserving... between mud and fires, he deserves it!
    Bluebull2007 likes this.