2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @H-Bear: Those moving Bubble Thingies are COOL!
    :bow:bow:bow
  2. garfey

Oddometer:
    Donedoodit.
  3. garfey

Oddometer:
    Glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee! :photog
  4. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Is there a t shirt this year? I checked the shop and there seems to be the generic f5 shirt but no 2016 edition.
  5. garfey

Oddometer:
    Naah, Hayduke's busy with life over in "Exit, Coloradical-o" and hasn't had time to be bothered with essentially one-off shirts for a couple of years, I assume. No matter, my CORKY JERSEY is doing admirably, thank you, and today it's gonna rest by getting washed. As is Gus. And a bike or two. And me.

Remember this?

Attached Files:

6. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Ok I've waited a while - what's with the 2014 map?
    Carlos M, 640 Armageddon and Myway like this.
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :ear
    It took the control official that long to enter his name on the control data...? :dunno :lol3

Dya' think we should call him "Bag's" for short... f5 nickname? :wink: :ear
    Rato Molhado, garfey and Vicks like this.
  8. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :wave Hi too old...
    ummmm... it was 4:00 am and the only one with Salta in the title... :dunno

a tsc google f5¤%-up... my bad... off to fix it... :cob

:hide
  9. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :y0! look up ^^

good thing you're there keeping me honest Tony. :clap:thumb
  10. garfey

Oddometer:
    HAH!
    Y'all are as stupor'd as I - not a single GOTCHA!
    "We" could have kept "our" mouth shut (/fingers still) and got away with it! :shog

Here's a little somethin' for ya - JMo in the Baja surf on Stage 2 of Baja Rally 3.0 in October. That's Brent Teixeira amongst the rocks; the Official Photog was ON IT! :bow:bow
    JMo in the Baja Surf - BR3.0.jpeg
    stuckthrottle and Sundowner like this.
  11. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Ah, rest day at last...

I have to say, having taken Friday night and Saturday morning off, I had my own snowball to content with yesterday afternoon, catching up on 50 or 60 pages of F5!

First of all I'd like to doff my cap to those who are regularly stoking the fire - not least Troy with his daily wrap-ups, and Garfey with typically the daily previews of each stage, together with the contents of his refrigerator - top work all!

I've been dipping in where I can of course, and have also been running my usual series of daily reports over on the Jennydakar Facebook page (shameless plug I know!)

So to help keep you busy while all the spannering is going on today, below is my summary of stage 7, together with wrap up of the first week...

If you do use Facebook, then please do check out the rest of my summary reports too - I'm really rather proud of them this year!

Toot toot for now!

Jenny x

"Dakar 2016: Day 8 (stage 7) summary.

The drama continued during the final day of the first half of the Dakar this year - prior to the rest-day in Salta, Argentina. While the event may have started rather low-key in regard to cancelled stages and what appeared to be a lack of technical terrain during the initial stages, conversely the increased pace and relatively easy navigation saw the top contenders literally racing within seconds of each other for each stage win.

Trying to maintain that sort of pace over many hundreds of kilometres day in and day out is inevitably going to take it's toll on even the most talented of rally-raid racers, and it's here I would make the distinction between 'talented' and 'experienced' - since I think we are likely to see a resurgence from the old guard in the second half of the rally, those who have been playing the long game so far.

Certainly stage 7 saw some high-profile withdrawals due mainly to accidents and injuries. Most dramatic was #14 Matthias Walkner, who, having finished well in second place the day before, then suffered a huge crash early on the following morning - riding into the low sun it appears he miscalculated a slight bend in the piste, and ploughed straight on into an earth bank - sending him flying over the bars and breaking a femur in the process.

Seasoned pro #2 Paulo Goncalves was first on the scene, helping to raise the alarm and stay with the injured rider for more than 10 minutes before the medical team arrived. Goncalves who is currently leading the rally overall by the slimmest of margins, will of course get that stopped time credited back to him, but still, witnessing a fellow competitor in such a predicament makes it hard to get your race-face back on instantly I imagine.

Another high profile (and indeed some would say surprise) withdrawal was #6 Joan Barreda Bort. Having suffered a disastrous mechanical failure the day before, Barreda was ultimately towed by Honda team-mate #32 Paolo Ceci for hundreds of kilometres to the finish, losing nearly 5 hours in the process.

To compound matters, it would appear the Barreda suffered [at least one] fall during the tow, and hurt his hand, quite possibility exacerbating a previous injury he'd suffered in Morocco towards the end of last season. Although I imagine the HRC team could have repaired his bike (even to the extent of replacing the broken engine - after all, the corresponding 15 minute penalty is immaterial when you're now 70th in the overall standings), without Barreda being 100% fit and strong, there would seem little point in him continuing when there is still a full week of racing, and arguably the most technical stages still to come - if only for his own safety's sake.

Two other Elite riders on the withdrawal list were #16 Ivan Jakes (KTM) and #22 Javier Pizzolito (Honda) who both sustained injuries the day before.

So how would this shake up affect the overall leaderboard? Well, it was another good day for #3 Toby Price - although wisely he elected to play it safe and was content with 5th on the stage, keeping him well in contention for the second step of the podium in Rosario, a solid six minutes ahead of 3rd overall: #5 Stefan Svitko.

#2 Paulo Goncalves is still leading the overall Moto standings, actually increasing his margin over Toby Price by a couple of minutes over the previous day.

It is still VERY tight at the sharp end though - perhaps best illustrated by Yamahas #7 Helder Rodrigues, who initially finished the stage in an event best (so far) 5th place, only to receive a 2 minute penalty (reason unclear at this moment) dropping him to 15th - yes, the next ten riders behind him were all within two minutes of his stage time. Unbelievable!

Fortunately for Helder, despite the prospect of having to work his way back through the pack ahead of him on Monday, this penalty has infact only lost him a single place in the overall standings, now sitting comfortably at 7th (5 minutes ahead of 8th place) going into rest day.

The stage win went to Dakar rookie #49 Antoine Meo (who is of course 5 times enduro world champion), his first of what is likely to be many more should he decide to focus his career more on rally-raid. Second spot today went to Honda Argentina's #47 Kevin Benavides - another first-time shining star this year, with undoubtably a full factory ride ahead of him.

I have to say, it really is fantastic to see these non-Elite plate riders (and indeed Dakar first timers) dominating the top ten this year - it really would appear we are on the cusp of a new era in Dakar!

However, at the same time we should not forget that despite all this new riding talent, the battle remains foremost with the course (and indeed the weather) itself.

Once the rally crossed back into Argentina, the rain returned with a vengeance. As the bikes started the second half of the split stage, the heavens opened and soon the course was swamped by flash flooding. Only the first twenty or so riders made it though to the end of the stage before it was ultimately cancelled for the others - Dakar old-hands #15 Franz Verhoven and #9 David Castau electing to halt the rally themselves having witnessed a bike ahead of them being swept away in a raging torrent.

Interestingly, for once the ASO (organisation) threw the mid-fielders and back-markers a bone, choosing to cancel the whole of the second sector, rather than simply let the timing of the first 20 riders stand, and award a bogy time to the remainder of the pack.

I think this illustrates just how competitive not just the first twenty, but arguably the top thirty or even forty riders are these days. Traditionally by rest day, the podium was only likely to feature anyone who was at this stage in the top ten - but now, it appears anything could happen! Good times indeed, for the spectators at least!

One casualty of this decision was #12 Laia Sanz, who'd had a storming stage all day today - running as high as 12th in the second half, before ultimately being relegated to 19th today based on the timing from the first sector (meaning she remains in 15th overall). Clearly a little disappointed, she was however, as stoic as ever - and certainly, she is likely to use her experience and exceptional riding talent to the full in the second half of the rally, when we can expect to see far more technical style terrain and navigation.

In the cars it was business as usual for Peugeot - #303 Carlos Sainz taking the stage win from #314 Sebastian Loeb, just 38 seconds behind him - despite reporting trouble with his throttle which had jammed open, forcing him to use the engine kill switch when he needed to slow down - a solution the epitome of 'all-or-nothing'!

#300 Nasser Al Attiyah must have made a deal with the devil (the almost inevitable deal with Peugeot probably not signed until later this year, ahem), bringing his Red-Bull Mini home in 3rd place, just 5 seconds ahead of the third Peugeot #302 driven by Stephane Peterhansel. The final factory Pug #321 Cyril Despres also put in another excellent performance, finishing in 6th place today.

As the afternoon wore on, rain flooded the surrounding countryside, and rivers burst their banks sweeping debris along - blocking key bridges that comprised the huge 1200km assistance route today. Subsequent delays meant a good number of the riders and drivers actually arrived at the Salta bivouac before their crews, and it would be a late night before everyone finally arrived and set up, ready to thoroughly fettle their machines and pamper their pilots, before the rally resumes on Monday morning. JM"
  12. HumphreyBear

HumphreyBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers, glad you're enjoying them.

If there is anyone in particular you guys want to see just let me know - I just put up a sample of who I found interesting that day or seems to have had a good run.

Humphrey
    Carlos M likes this.
  13. too old

Oddometer:
    Don't worry - most of the world was asleep and the rest were in Stralia, so wouldn't have noticed as long as Toby was winning (or nearly so) :lol3
  14. too old

Oddometer:
    Which bike got washed away in flood - anyone know?
  15. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    TSC Walkner :wink: Have a good sunday :lol2
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  16. wheelstanddream

wheelstanddream Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When Toby says "We" he is referring to himself and the two grapefruit sized testes he is carrying along with him.
  17. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes that was Piątek
  19. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Piatek, Paolo Ceci pronounced his name in his interview...

he was taken away from the water, saved with a rope from local gents while the bike went down a waterfall! No idea what happened to the bike then....
  20. HumphreyBear

HumphreyBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ceci looks like a nice guy. The weather behind him looks nice enough for the rest day.

I hope Piatek got the bike back and can repair it (assuming he has an assistance van and mechanic...).
    yardracer and Rato Molhado like this.